APPIC 2020-2021 internship COVID consequences: Matched in Feb., now apprehensive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phd_to_be_

Reaction score
APPIC 2020-2021 COVID question: Who got matched, signed a contract, and is apprehensive to starting in August? I'm specifically going into a school district site and seeing as my site has no concrete answers about if I will be working from home/hybrid/or in physically in schools, I'm thinking about asking my supervisor if I can be remote (not move) until January (when they get things worked out). Is anyone else asking these questions or thinking about deferring? APPIC/APA have not updated any COVID FAQs since March. I'm so lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a very high threshold for deferring internship and COVID does not meet that threshold unless you have a medical condition that puts you at extremely high risk. Even if you meet that threshold both you, APPIC, the internship TD and your DCT would all have to agree to a deferral. I also don't know of any internship that would allow you to work remotely from another state as this is typically a no-go for institutions and state licensing boards. I suggest speaking to the internship training director about your concerns. They will at least be able to tell you what the site is doing right now in response to COVID albeit it may look very different when you arrive and the site/TD may not be able to predict home/hybrid/in-person given how unusual this situation is. I do think the vast majority of programs and TDs (and 100% of the ones I know) are putting safety of trainees, staff, patients and students first and aren't making these decisions lightly. Perhaps hearing the steps they are taking now will help you feel more comfortable to start. Also some apprehension is normal (even in a non-COVID environment) -- it's okay to be apprehensive.

Do not differ/withdraw without going through all options and proper channels/approvals. Last time I checked if you don't hold up your end of the bargain you are barred from repeating the match process. Make sure you don't mess that up directly or indirectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's understandable that you're apprehensive, but there are plenty of prac students, interns, and post docs who are currently seeing patients in-person with proper PPE and social distancing. Of course you can ask, but I don't think it's likely that they would let you work remotely like that for nearly half your internship, especially if you are out-of-state.

Last edited:
Agreed. If you get there and you have concerns that precautions are not adequate, that’s one thing to bring up and discuss.

However, as others have said, absent a decision from your training director, this is a bad idea. You’ve worked too hard and too long to potentially lose it now

I also feel as if we haven't gotten much information and hope APPIC releases updated guidelines as states open up. Our site is expecting in person services, and I am unsure what to think or do.

While I realize a lot is simply unknown and many places are trying to adapt-as-they-go, the failure of many organizations to even provide regular "Sorry we don't have an answer yet" updates is simply baffling to me. Federal government isn't the only place I'm seeing a void in leadership throughout this process. Top to bottom, I'm seeing a society that is utterly devoid of leadership.

I would recommend you plan on moving. The good news is that I imagine you will have zero difficulties finding a vacant apt even at the very last-minute so that shouldn't be a major barrier. It is entirely possible you will be working from home. I would also advise you to be very strong in standing up for your own safety throughout this process. Organizations clearly vary enormously in how responsible they are being. It has never been more clear to me that we are happy to <quite literally> kill people for the sake of some stock market gains than right now. So whatever is going on, make sure they have in place safeguards you feel are adequate.

I'm probably one of the strongest advocates for accredited training on this board. If I was an intern, I also wouldn't hesitate for a second to tell any internship site I didn't feel was making responsible decisions or convince me that their workplace was safe <for me> to go #$&$ themselves. Even if that meant forever foregoing any possibility of attending an accredited internship. There are always other jobs.

Reactions: 7 users
While I realize a lot is simply unknown and many places are trying to adapt-as-they-go, the failure of many organizations to even provide regular "Sorry we don't have an answer yet" updates is simply baffling to me. Federal government isn't the only place I'm seeing a void in leadership throughout this process. Top to bottom, I'm seeing a society that is utterly devoid of leadership.

This is so spot-on. I feel for you OP. Your health and safety is valuable. If a site is not demonstrating care about you, you should definitely consider whether you'd want to take a postdoc there or ever consider working for them. I am sorry about your situation.