PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1/10! How about you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ah, ok - I'll be there on 12/17. Good luck! It sounds like a great site!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: Henry Ford Health
Date Invitation Received: Nov 7th
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psych
Offered Interview Dates:Friday, December 7
Friday, December 14
Friday, January 4
Friday, January 11
Friday, January 18
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: Planting crops on my Stardew farm and watching dog videos on Youtube...

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: VA Puget Sound, Seattle
Date Invitation Received: 11/8/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Mental Health Track
Offered Interview Dates: (N/A, open house 1/3)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I love kinetic sand

Congrats on this one, I've also received it! Have you already RSVP'ed for their Open House, or are you waiting to hear from other places first? (feel free to PM me!)

Reactions: 1 users
Rejections from Allegheny went out today 11/13 - reporting for a friend - they don’t deserve her anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Congrats on this one, I've also received it! Have you already RSVP'ed for their Open House, or are you waiting to hear from other places first? (feel free to PM me!)
Thank you for the reminder! I had already forgotten about RSVPing and started stressing about other ones. I’m going to go ahead and let them know now!

Official Site Name: WVU School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 11/9/2018
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult/Behavioral Medicine
Offered Interview Dates:
Thursday, December 6, 2018
Thursday, December 13, 2018
Thursday, January 10, 2019
Friday, January 11, 2019

(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Lots of youtube videos and cat snuggles. And wine.

Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: Minneapolis VAHMC
Date Invitation Received: November 13
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Standard Track
Offered Interview Dates: January 8th, 2019
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Right now? Running around my house like a 5 year old and dancing with my dog!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
For those who heard from the Greater Hartford Consortium, was that from Newington or West Haven location?

Rejected from Greater Hartford VA
11/13
Mass email
Oh well

Same first rejection is tough

I mean it is what it is ya know? It’s not personal it just wasn’t what they were looking for. Which is totally fine! Here’s hoping for more positive news in the coming days!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not good enough at this yet to know how to PM haha. I RSVP'ed already and haven't yet made a calendar of potential interview dates, whoops!!! Your move seems smarter!

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean it is what it is ya know? It’s not personal it just wasn’t what they were looking for. Which is totally fine! Here’s hoping for more positive news in the coming days!

I need a little more of your attitude lol. But yes you’re right. Trust the process as they say

As a reminder, expect rejections - you'll get them from 2/3rds of your sites on average. You are still likely to match get around 5-6 interviews and you will most likely (96+%) match to a site within that 5-6 range. If you are an average applicant doing average things and applying to the average type of programs for someone with your background and experiences, this is likely true of you.

Below are some numbers to help normalize- from the 2017-2018 APPIC cohort match survey
Number of sites applied to Mean = 15.6
On-Site Interviews Mean = 5.8
Rank of site matched to:
1 1093 53 %
2 442 22 %
3 239 12 %
4 119 6 %
5 71 3 %

Applicant Survey - 2017 - Part 1

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Psychiatry
Date Invitation Received: November 13
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Offered Interview Dates: January 14th, 18th, 25th
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I was doing so adequately....Now that I'm getting emails?... I fear I will never leave my computer/phone!

Reactions: 5 users
Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Rush (both neuro). None of the other listed sites/tracks thus far are on my list.

I got my rejection from Rush yesterday, so I guess its a good thing you haven't heard back yet. To me that sounds like you are sill in the running!

I am waiting to hear from Dartmouth-Hitchcock as well.

Exciting that invites/rejections are coming in. Thank you, justanothergrad, for the reminder that 2/3 rejections are normal for this process.

What’s everyone wearing? Suits? Business casual? I get the “dress for the job you want”, but I’ve never seen a psychologist in a suit outside of a courtroom.

To clarify, what is everyone planning to wear for interviews, not what are you wearing ATM.

Exciting that invites/rejections are coming in. Thank you, justanothergrad, for the reminder that 2/3 rejections are normal for this process.

What’s everyone wearing? Suits? Business casual? I get the “dress for the job you want”, but I’ve never seen a psychologist in a suit outside of a courtroom.

Scared to wear anything less than a suit, so I just bought one that the jacket and pants actually match. I figure if I'm overdressed, I can just take off the jacket and it'll be closer to business casual.

Definitely a suit. Every faculty member and supervisor I've talked to has said to wear a suit.

I got my rejection from Rush yesterday, so I guess its a good thing you haven't heard back yet. To me that sounds like you are sill in the running!

I am waiting to hear from Dartmouth-Hitchcock as well.

Same. Will post here as soon as I hear back from them! Their interview notification deadline is listed as 11/15...

Official Site Name: Syracuse VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 11/13
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: December 10 and 14 and on January 7 and 11
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Shopping for business casual outfits/preparing for ABCT conference/some quality cat time

View attachment 241849

When you try and share a gif of Barney’s slogan “suit up” from HIMYM but you don’t know how to navigate your phone...

Last edited:

Definitely a suit and actually my school specifically advises for the suit to be black or navy (this might be overkill, but I don't want to take any chances). FWIW, a few years ago I had a group interview at a practicum site and they selected 2 out of the 4 of us for individual interviews afterward. I thought I nailed the group interview so was surprised when I wasn't selected for the next round. I emailed the director to ask for any feedback that might help for the future and she said that my experience/interview answers were fantastic, but she didn't select me because I wore dress pants and a blouse and not a suit or jacket :( Obviously not all sites will not be so strict, but I plan to never let that be a reason why I lose a job opportunity again.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely a suit and actually my school specifically advises for the suit to be black or navy (this might be overkill, but I don't want to take any chances). FWIW, a few years ago I had a group interview at a practicum site and they selected 2 out of the 4 of us for individual interviews afterward. I thought I nailed the group interview so was surprised when I wasn't selected for the next round. I emailed the director to ask for any feedback that might help for the future and she said that my experience/interview answers were fantastic, but she didn't select me because I wore dress pants and a blouse and not a suit or jacket :( Obviously not all sites will not be so strict, but I plan to never let that be a reason why I lose a job opportunity again.

I have heard of similar stories - the interview is not a place to showcase progressive fashion or take any risks beyond the conservative environment of traditional academia. This surely varies by site and is not exactly the most appropriate way to make decisions or judge candidates, but it is the reality in which we live.

Same. Will post here as soon as I hear back from them! Their interview notification deadline is listed as 11/15...

Yep, I know it - 11/15. I'm a bit concerned because someone already received an invitation on 11/09.

Suit it is then! Really, maybe the only good advice Barney ever gave.

: )

Yep, I know it - 11/15. I'm a bit concerned because someone already received an invitation on 11/09.

Yeah I'm hopeful they do invitations in groups :cat: But also preparing myself for a rejection email in a couple days at this point.

Official Site Name: Nationwide
Date Invitation Received: 11/13
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Autism Treatment Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/12 and 12/14
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Watching lots of Office and New Girl

Reactions: 6 users
In regards to interview attire: would a dress and blazer be okay? That's usually my go-to interview outfit.

Is anyone else waiting on Utah State Hospital? They said they would notify by 11/14, which is tomorrow. I've been refreshing all day!

Is anyone else waiting on Utah State Hospital? They said they would notify by 11/14, which is tomorrow. I've been refreshing all day!

It seems that some of these earlier proposed deadlines are going to be down to the wire. At least answers will be provided sooner than the much later deadlines of 12/14-12/15. Whether that's good or bad - we'll only know in retrospect.

Ive gotten an invite from southwest in phoenix around when the others did. A few emails to let me know I was being reviewed from Kennedy krieger, univ in long beach and north Cali but no other invites or rejections. I'm on my phone more than my teenagers. Nationwide is one of my top 3 so I'm worried I havent heard from them. I applied to the pedi psych and intell dis. Tracks. Any rejections yet (from nationwide)?

Ive gotten an invite from southwest in phoenix around when the others did. A few emails to let me know I was being reviewed from Kennedy krieger, univ in long beach and north Cali but no other invites or rejections. I'm on my phone more than my teenagers. Nationwide is one of my top 3 so I'm worried I havent heard from them. I applied to the pedi psych and intell dis. Tracks. Any rejections yet (from nationwide)?

It looks like last year (and this year so far) that Nationwide tracks offer invites on separate days. Also, it is my understanding that they send out notification for not receiving an invite the same time they send invites, but each track may be different with this. Sending positive vibes your way!!

Definitely a suit. And, you need to hang out with psychologists with more self-respect. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Just a heads up. Someone messaged me saying "Yale" had sent out invites but did not specify which Yale site (Child Study Center or School of Medicine). This person had their account private so I could not message them back; feel free to message me again if you know which site it is.

On that note, pretty much everyone has been perfect. But please be sure to use the official site name and not shorthand, as many academic institutions have multiple affiliated sites and I am not familiar with shorthand for the majority of sites.

Has anyone heard from Hampton VA or McGuire VA? I've not gotten any rejections or invitations yet... although some of the sites I applied to start interviews the first week of December. :nailbiting:

I’ve applied to both the Yale school of medicine and McGuire VA and I’ve heard nothing from either.

Definitely a suit. And, you need to hang out with psychologists with more self-respect. ;)

Do you wear a suit in every setting you work in? That’s such an interesting comment, I really don’t see psychologists in suits at hospitals, commmunity mental health, private practice, schools, etc.

Do you wear a suit in every setting you work in? That’s such an interesting comment, I really don’t see psychologists in suits at hospitals, commmunity mental health, private practice, schools, etc.

Suit many days, if I'm feeling a little dress-downed, I'll slum it with just the shirt and tie. Too many psychologists don't feel the need to dress like other doctoral level providers in their work setting, and then wonder why they don't get the same respect.

Reactions: 3 users
I wear a suit when I go to my site at the Naval Hospital. I've also worn a more "casual" suit-type of attire (I guess more like nice slacks with a matching blazer or cardigan type thing) when I worked at community mental health. Otherwise, I've pretty much worn business casual at all my other sites and psychology jobs.