APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received this via DM (this is not my invite).

Official Site Name: Mass General / Harvard
Date Invitation Received: 11/09/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Integrated Brain Health
Offered Interview Dates: 1/20
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: so much Netflix

Congrats to whoever earned this interview! That's a great program. Sites certainly work weekends (on their own time), and holidays. So Thanksgiving seems to be a day of notifications for people as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this invitation posted by Tigerpsychdoc on 11/09 is missing from the complete list:

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas Medical Sciences
Date Invitation Received: 11/8/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/6 12/11 1/7 1/16
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Binge Watching Netflix and Video games

Evidently I have access to Classic and Battle of Aeroth (not sure if that's the correct spelling)? I went on their website, created an account, downloaded the mac .dmg file and began playing the Battle of Aeroth version.

Nice! I would definitely recommend the retail version (Battle for Azeroth is the newest expansion) over the classic version for a new player. They've made some wonderful quality of life improvements over the years that make the game more enjoyable! Classic is only good for the nostalgic imo. Enjoy!! I pick up WoW for a couple months every time there's a new expansion. Great game!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current postdoc here. I just wanted to reach out to everyone posting/lurking in this thread and say that you're all doing a really great job. The internship application process was rough and rejection-filled, which I internalized and allowed it to fill me with a lot of shame and self-doubt. But I survived and matched for internship, and then matched with my top site for fellowship. (And nobody has ever asked me again how many sites I got interviews at because I finished internship and that's all that matters.) And I've also known people who didn't match, and their plans got delayed, and it sucked and was really hard, but they survived and made the best of it and now they're crushing it at their dream internships/fellowships/jobs. There is a light at the end of this tunnel, even though I know it's hard to see that right now.

I wish I'd reminded myself of this more. The number of interviews you get does not determine how good of a clinician you are/will be. The number of interviews you get does not say anything about your worth as a student/researcher/clinician/person.

Pat yourselves on the back and be kind to yourselves. You're doing great.

Good luck to all of you!

• Love
Reactions: 27 users
Current postdoc here. I just wanted to reach out to everyone posting/lurking in this thread and say that you're all doing a really great job. The internship application process was rough and rejection-filled, which I internalized and allowed it to fill me with a lot of shame and self-doubt. But I survived and matched for internship, and then matched with my top site for fellowship. (And nobody has ever asked me again how many sites I got interviews at because I finished internship and that's all that matters.) And I've also known people who didn't match, and their plans got delayed, and it sucked and was really hard, but they survived and made the best of it and now they're crushing it at their dream internships/fellowships/jobs. There is a light at the end of this tunnel, even though I know it's hard to see that right now.

I wish I'd reminded myself of this more. The number of interviews you get does not determine how good of a clinician you are/will be. The number of interviews you get does not say anything about your worth as a student/researcher/clinician/person.

Good luck to all of you!
Wow that is so nice, thank you for taking the time to post this!

Reactions: 3 users
Got this from a friend of mine in my cohort:

Official Site Name: Southwest Consortium Doctoral Psychology Internship
Date Invitation Received:
11/8/19
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NMVAHCS
Offered Interview Dates: Unknown, January

I know this isnt entirely related to this thread, however, how do you all feel about beards for interview? I have a very well groomed beard (not trying to sound hubris), that has taken me some time to grow. It is always trimmed and my line is always sharp, however, I would not be surprised if some sites (e.g., hospitals) may have a policy against facial hair. Should I just play it safe and be clean shaven, or would I be fine to keep?

Thanks

I've had a beard on and off throughout the years. I have never worked or trained anywhere (VA, AMC, not for profit hospital) with a policy against facial hair. As long as it's well-groomed, you're good for the most part. If you look like ZZ Top, go visit your old-timey barber.

I've had a beard on and off throughout the years. I have never worked or trained anywhere (VA, AMC, not for profit hospital) with a policy against facial hair. As long as it's well-groomed, you're good for the most part. If you look like ZZ Top, go visit your old-timey barber.

Similar vein question: I used to have really rad long here. like...jay mewes level. Then a gf I was seeing prior to internship told me I needed to cut it to be taken seriously. I caved; however, I'm now thinking it was more self-serving on her end and I might have been fooled. I say all this to ask, how would you think long hair is viewed by dudes in our field? I know of a couple of guys with long hair that only do therapy, but I'm wondering if it may not be a great idea in my arena (at least if im being asked to do evals/testify in more rural/conservative/traditional male gender role dominated counties, which I have, and got mad judgy looks for a nice suit, so I cant imagine how long hair might be viewed). I really just wanna grow my hair out again. probably some attempt to hold on to youth.

Similar vein question: I used to have really rad long here. like...jay mewes level. Then a gf I was seeing prior to internship told me I needed to cut it to be taken seriously. I caved; however, I'm now thinking it was more self-serving on her end and I might have been fooled. I say all this to ask, how would you think long hair is viewed by dudes in our field? I know of a couple of guys with long hair that only do therapy, but I'm wondering if it may not be a great idea in my arena (at least if im being asked to do evals/testify in more rural/conservative/traditional male gender role dominated counties, which I have, and got mad judgy looks for a nice suit, so I cant imagine how long hair might be viewed). I really just wanna grow my hair out again. probably some attempt to hold on to youth.

This one may be tougher. I, personally do not care of someone has long hair or not, but long hair on guys is fairly uncommon in settings I have been in. Anecdotally, I would think there may be more judgment of long hair, than beards or other things. Fair or not, I think that one could have some minor negatives. As for the forensic piece, I play it very conservative when it comes to the legal side of things, especially when judgments are often made on impressions and feelings vs facts. I think the long hair would be worse in that arena. I know it shouldn't matter, but I think it does to some people.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, here I was thinking I wouldn't hear back from VAs on Veterans Day and I was thankfully wrong!

Official Site Name: James H. Quillen VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 11/11/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone Call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 12/9, 12/13, 12/16, and two possible dates in January. The TD also very kindly emphasized that she would not be prejudiced against a phone interview and one of their current interns was a phone interview.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: My home has never been cleaner!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well, here I was thinking I wouldn't hear back from VAs and Veterans Day and I was thankfully wrong!

Offered Interview Dates: 12/9, 12/13, 12/16, and two possible dates in January. The TD also very kindly emphasized that she would not be prejudiced against a phone interview and one of their current interns was a phone interview.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: My home has never been cleaner!
Congrats!! I am 1 for 1 as well and it is a nice feeling!

I received these via DMs (these are not my invites).

Official Site Name: University of Wisconsin
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call from track director
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Offered Interview Dates: Dec 2, 9, 16; Jan. 6 and 13
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Podcasts and walking

Official Site Name: University of Wisconsin/Departments of Psychiatry, Orthopedics & Rehabilitation Medicine
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal phone call, email to follow
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Offered Interview Dates: TBD via email later today, will update when they occur.

Official Site Name: Southwest consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/08/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Offered Interview Dates: 01/15 (also a friend of mine got an interview offer for 01/10 for the general track, also notified via email)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Planning my wedding!

Well, here I was thinking I wouldn't hear back from VAs on Veterans Day and I was thankfully wrong!

Yaaaas! I was wondering if folks would use it as a day to get ahead.

I nearly applied there, was a great site on paper so good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten any rejections or invitations yet, I feel so left out lol

I haven't gotten any rejections or invitations yet, I feel so left out lol

I haven’t heard anything either, though I am incessantly checking my email so that’s not fun.

I haven’t heard anything either, though I am incessantly checking my email so that’s not fun.

Haven't heard anything as well. I thought I wouldn't be checking my email as frequently today due to it being Veteran's Day, but seeing as some people have heard back today, I've been checking/refreshing my email nonstop!

Official Site Name: Federal Medical Center - Lexington
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: TBD (will be notified after going through the USAjobs application process)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
:

Reactions: 1 users

Good luck to all of you!

Another current postdoc here who for some reason can't stay away from these threads (the one @pontocerebellar and I shared a couple years back was the stuff of legends, y'all :cool:). Just gonna echo everything that she said x 10000 and also throw in this little piece as well: this process has this really nasty way of feeling like it is the end-all-be-all of your career and training, like this is it, this one defining moment, and that's that. This is not true. There is a life after internship. For example, throughout the notification phase, I got plenty of rejections, but there were 2 from well-known, top-notch sites, both of which I felt like an EXCELLENT for, that stung so hard. I was SO disappointed and confused and felt like I had let supervisors and mentors (who knew people/had trained at these 2 sites) down. Well, fast forward to Match Day when I match at my top site (also a well-known, top notch place) and go on to train at an excellent institution with superb supervisors - it was absolutely the place for me. And THEN fast forward to postdoc season where I apply to 3 positions across those 2 well-known, top-notch sites that rejected me for internship and got offers for all 3 positions I applied for. Even if it doesn't work out to be what you wanted, thought, or hoped for in this moment, doesn't mean that it won't work out eventually. You will all land exactly when and where you're supposed to. You've all got this!!

Sending all the vibes to every corner of the internet!!! Best of luck to all of y'all!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Another current postdoc here who for some reason can't stay away from these threads (the one @pontocerebellar and I shared a couple years back was the stuff of legends, y'all :cool:). Just gonna echo everything that she said x 10000 and also throw in this little piece as well: throughout the notification phase, I got plenty of rejections, but there were 2 from well-known, top-notch sites, both of which I felt like an EXCELLENT for, that stung so hard. I was SO disappointed and confused and felt like I had let supervisors and mentors (who knew people/had trained at these 2 sites) down. Well, fast forward to Match Day when I match at my top site (also a well-known, top notch place) and go on to train at an excellent institution with superb supervisors - it was absolutely the place for me. And THEN fast forward to postdoc season where I apply to 3 positions across those 2 well-known, top-notch sites that rejected me for internship and got offers for all 3 positions I applied for. Even if it doesn't work out to be what you wanted, thought, or hoped for in this moment, doesn't mean that it won't work out eventually. You will all land exactly when and where you're supposed to. You've all got this!!

Sending all the vibes to every corner of the internet!!! Best of luck to all of y'all!

I just wanted to reach out and thank you and @pontocerebellar for your kind words of support and encouragement. It means a lot during this stressful anxiety-ridden time!

Another current postdoc here who for some reason can't stay away from these threads (the one @pontocerebellar and I shared a couple years back was the stuff of legends, y'all :cool:). Just gonna echo everything that she said x 10000 and also throw in this little piece as well: this process has this really nasty way of feeling like it is the end-all-be-all of your career and training, like this is it, this one defining moment, and that's that. This is not true. There is a life after internship. For example, throughout the notification phase, I got plenty of rejections, but there were 2 from well-known, top-notch sites, both of which I felt like an EXCELLENT for, that stung so hard. I was SO disappointed and confused and felt like I had let supervisors and mentors (who knew people/had trained at these 2 sites) down. Well, fast forward to Match Day when I match at my top site (also a well-known, top notch place) and go on to train at an excellent institution with superb supervisors - it was absolutely the place for me. And THEN fast forward to postdoc season where I apply to 3 positions across those 2 well-known, top-notch sites that rejected me for internship and got offers for all 3 positions I applied for. Even if it doesn't work out to be what you wanted, thought, or hoped for in this moment, doesn't mean that it won't work out eventually. You will all land exactly when and where you're supposed to. You've all got this!!

I had a feeling we'd meet again in an APPIC internship thread, @slaney :shifty:. I think this is going to become an annual ritual.

I would echo all of this as well. I got fellowship interviews with the vast majority of sites that I didn't get interviews with for internship. Postdoc is an entirely new ball game, especially if your training/career goals are highly specialized (e.g., peds neuro). I actually matched with my top-choice internship site for fellowship!

I've also heard from many people that internship becomes a footnote as you progress through your career. It's what you accomplish later on that really speaks to your knowledge/skills/expertise. It's really built up to be, as slaney said, the end-all-be-all. And I promise you, it's not. It's important (primarily in that you need to complete an internship eventually), but it does not and will not define your professional life forever. You've got this!

Last edited:
an actual photo of how bustling my e-mail inbox is with internship notifications

Attachments

• DL508-Tumbleweeds-marquee-P-head.jpg
    DL508-Tumbleweeds-marquee-P-head.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Official Site Name: Children’s Mercy Kansas City
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child Psychology Track
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 13th or 14th (morning or afternoon either day)

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center, Eastern Colorado Health Care System
Date Invitation Received: 11/12/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call, personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Geropsychology Track
Offered Interview Dates: 01/06, 01/13, 01/27
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Netflix and Sims 4

(Posting on behalf of my cohort mates)

Official Site Name: VA Medical Center, Salem
Date Invitation Received: 11/06/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call, personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/13, 12/16, 01/09

Official Site Name: Travis County Psychology Internship Program
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Offered Interview Dates: January 9th, 10th, 13th, or 14th

Official Site Name: West Virginia University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology Track
Offered Interview Dates: December 12 & 13; January 9th &10th

Congratulations to all who have received interviews so far. Still waiting here...:)

Official Site Name: FCC Butner
Date Invitation Received: 11/12
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic Inpatient/RDAP
Offered Interview Dates: Pending USA Jobs but posted 1/6, 1/7, 1/15, 1/16 on APPIC

Official Site Name: FMC Devens
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: Pending USA Jobs

Official Site Name: U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email

Official Site Name: (Not mine) FMC Rochester
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): ? Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): ?
What city/state is the U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners?

I received this via DM (not my invite).

Official Site Name: West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Offered Interview Dates: January 9th, January 10th, December 12th, December 13th
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Attempts to maintain sanity have been unsuccessful...

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas Medical Sciences
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/6 12/11 1/7 1/16
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: Binge Watching Netflix and Video games
Congrats! I applied here, but for the adult track. Hopefully I hear soon!

Official Site Name: Nebraska Internship Consortium in Professional Psychology (NICPP)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology/ Rehabiliation Psychology Track
Offered Interview Dates: 01/03/2020 & 01/10/2020
If & How you're staying sane: Playing WoW, refreshing my email every 5 minutes, and learning Portuguese.
Which site with this consortium??

Official Site Name: Children's Minnesota
Date Invitation Received: 11/13/19
Offered Interview Dates: 12/16/19, 12/17/19, 12/19/19
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Focusing on dissertation coding, watching YouTube/Netflix, and cuddling with my goldendoodle!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
From another person in my cohort:

Official Site Name: University of Florida Health Science Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): health psychology
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10; 1/17; 1/24

Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name: Nebraska Internship Consortium in Professional Psychology (NICPP)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology/ Rehabiliation Psychology Track
Offered Interview Dates: 01/03/2020 & 01/10/2020
If & How you're staying sane: Playing WoW, refreshing my email every 5 minutes, and learning Portuguese.

Congrats!!! I applied to the Munroe-Meyer behavioral pediatrics track! Haven’t heard back yet but hoping for news soon!

Congrats!!! I applied to the Munroe-Meyer behavioral pediatrics track! Haven’t heard back yet but hoping for news soon!

You have plenty of time. It seems to me that each site will reach out based on when they choose to. For example, my email was directly from the director of the site. He indicated that his team met yesterday morning to finalize their applicants they were inviting and that he wanted to reach out to me ahead of the official invitation I am to be receiving in a couple of weeks.

Glad Disney+ launched yesterday. Can keep my mind busy binging Marvel and DCOM.

Official Site Name: Mailmen Center for Child Development Miami University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/9, 1/13, 1/17

Congratulations!!

Mailmen Center for Child Development always makes me laugh. My brothers used to tell me I was the mail-man's child :laugh:

• Haha
A woman in my cohort also got this email! Peds track! You also?
I just got this email as well! They didn't specify track and I applied for several, but it's a open house format, so might be more general!

Got mine!

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/13 & 1/13
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Organizing Dissertation Data, Practicum, and Disney+

Official Site Name: Mailmen Center for Child Development Miami University
Offered Interview Dates: 1/9, 1/13, 1/17

Congrats! Received this invite today as well. No more interview silence

Example: Site Name (Date Invitation Received, Invitation Method, Track, Interview Dates)
Aspire Health Alliance/South Shore Mental Health (Invitation 11/11/2019 via mass email, Child/Adolescent and Early Childhood Tracks, 1/3/2020 and 1/8/2020)
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (Invitation 11/7/2019 via personal email, Infant/Child Track, 12/20/2019, 1/6/2020, 1/17/2020)
Mailman Center for Child Development/Univ of Miami (Invitation 11/13/2019 via personal email, ASD track, 1/9/2020, 1/13/2020, 1/17/2020)