Jun 20, 2018
I’m in round 2 and now I’m nervous if all that’s left is competitive sites or non apa sites....
There is a great range of sites there. Plenty of them. I think you are overthinking a bit which I imagine is making you feel really anxious. As long as you don’t restrict yourself to specific locations, you should be fine.

And definitely do not apply to non-accredited sites!

About the Ads
Nov 25, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I guess your higher ranked site didn’t like you enough, lol
I'm just curious as to why you would think this is an appropriate comment to make, why you are posting "sad face" reactions on posts where people are excited about their match, and "laughing" reactions on posts where people are clearly disappointed or seeking support? And then going to the Phase II board and doing the same thing?? I hope you treat your patients with more decorum than you are showing your colleagues on these forums.

Nov 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Psychology
I matched to my #7 choice out of 15 rankings. I was very disappointed and shocked at first but after reflecting on it, I think it will be ok. It's a great program and I only ranked it low because of location. It seems that neuro internships in particular are just becoming more and more competitive. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and I am trying to look at this as another one of the many obstacles I've had to overcome on this journey called life. Hoping that everything works out for everyone and sending only positive vibes out!1:)

Dec 2, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I'm just curious as to why you would think this is an appropriate comment to make, why you are posting "sad face" reactions on posts where people are excited about their match, and "laughing" reactions on posts where people are clearly disappointed or seeking support? And then going to the Phase II board and doing the same thing?? I hope you treat your patients with more decorum than you are showing your colleagues on these forums.
Yeah this person is harassing people for....being sad they didn’t match? There are absolutely people here who should not be therapists and it’s not necessarily those who didn’t match round 1.

sevenhells

Clinical Psychology PhD Candidate
Nov 14, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I matched to my #7 choice out of 15 rankings. I was very disappointed and shocked at first but after reflecting on it, I think it will be ok. It's a great program and I only ranked it low because of location. It seems that neuro internships in particular are just becoming more and more competitive. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and I am trying to look at this as another one of the many obstacles I've had to overcome on this journey called life. Hoping that everything works out for everyone and sending only positive vibes out!1:)
Yes, I would have loved to see neuro specific match statistics. Applied to 20 sites, went on 10 interviews, ranked 14 tracks, matched at my #9. It felt very surprising, I think because I've been generalizing overall match statistics to neuro. It just isn't the same, but I am happy to have matched to a neuro seat! Good luck to you next year!!!

Bubbala

5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
I've mostly just lurked here every few weeks rather than participate, but just wanted to say thanks to you all for this community! It's been great to feel a sense of community around this crazy process.

As for my results - I applied to 15, interviewed at 8, ranked 8, and fortunately matched at my #2. My #1 was mostly so I wouldn't have to move, and training is better at #2, so I'm happy with the result. I'm definitely feeling grateful/relieved for how it all turned out for me and am sending good vibes to everyone in phase II. Lots of good sites there!

About the Ads
Oct 4, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
So what does it mean when they are APPIC accredited but not APA?
My TD said APPIC doesn't mean anything. In the eyes of our state, it's the same as non accredited. No extra points for being part of APPIC (because if I understand correctly, sites just pay money to be part of APPIC and have to meet some minimum standards...but it's not like a big process to get into APPIC).

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
No, not bad, but certain post-doc positions require an APA approved internship, so you have to be careful. If you're not planning on post-doc or board certification for neuro, then it's not a big deal.
The majority of institutional positions (VA, hospital, AMC) also require an APA accredited internship. It's a HUGE deal.

Dec 9, 2019
No, not bad, but certain post-doc positions require an APA approved internship, so you have to be careful. If you're not planning on post-doc or board certification for neuro, then it's not a big deal.
Even outside of neuro, some states require an APA Approved internship for licensure, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Cool :) you should let them know that. A lot of psych programs out here don't make a big deal out of the accredited vs. non-accredited because they don't want students to feel badly if they only match to a non-accredited site.
That tells you something about the programs. I'd prefer my program be honest with me about closing the door on a huge number of jobs nationwide.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Okay, I hear you. I'm not going to get into a back and forth with a board certified neuropsychologist, lol. The reality is that some students will match to an APPIC site and not an accredited site. I am not going to make them feel crappy about it. I had friends who matched APPIC last year and they received awesome training. It's what was available to them. :censored:
That's fine, we don't need to make them feel crappy about it. But, we should be giving people currently making that decision accurate information. I'm not attacking you, merely correcting a misinterpretation of the situation.

Reactions: kmv2021

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Then why not reply directly to them earlier in the rodeo instead of skipping them and coming at me instead? :meh: We have great psych programs in NYC, but with so much competition, not everyone will match at an accredited site. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the programs ("re: that says something about the programs then"). We're all encouraged to apply to accredited sites, but you're not a poop if you have to apply to an APPIC site and that's the one you match with. :sour:
I responded to the direct quote of the inaccurate information. It's there so that people reading can see and get that information in the future, as these threads are commonly re-referenced in future application cycles. Not sure why you are making this personal, it was a simple correction of inaccurate information. Nothing more.

LadyEmmaPeel

PsyD Doctoral Candidate - Clinical Psychology
Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
I responded to the direct quote of the inaccurate information. It's there so that people reading can see and get that information in the future, as these threads are commonly re-referenced in future application cycles. Not sure why you are making this personal, it was a simple correction of inaccurate information. Nothing more.
Ok. :watching:

About the Ads

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Friends, just curious! I interviewed at the Philly VA for neuro and so did a bunch of peers from other neuro programs in the city, but their track is now in Phase II. That means none of us were ranked, correct? We all put it in our top 3 :(

A Blue Duck

5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2014
Status
Psychology Student
Friends, just curious! I interviewed at the Philly VA for neuro and so did a bunch of peers from other neuro programs in the city, but their track is now in Phase II. That means none of us were ranked, correct? We all put it in our top 3 :(
Assuming you all matched to lower ranked sites or did not match - correct.

• Wow
Reactions: LadyEmmaPeel

A Blue Duck

5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2014
Status
Psychology Student
I really don't get why you keep pushing your pro-APA accredited internship agenda on the forum. It's like you actually care about students having successful careers, or something. Haven't you heard about my one friend who didn't do an accredited internship and is now a phenomenal psychologist at the VA?

This happens every year. WisNeuro is too nice for this. Bring in my guy, Erg.

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
I really don't get why you keep pushing your pro-APA accredited internship agenda on the forum. It's like you actually care about students having successful careers, or something. Haven't you heard about my one friend who didn't do an accredited internship and is now a phenomenal psychologist at the VA?

This happens every year. WisNeuro is too nice for this. Bring in my guy, Erg.
Wow...

MAClinician

Masters level clinician
2+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2016
Status
Non-Student
LadyEmmaPeel said:
Then why not reply directly to them earlier in the rodeo instead of skipping them and coming at me instead? :meh: We have great psych programs in NYC, but with so much competition, not everyone will match at an accredited site. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the programs ("re: that says something about the programs then"). We're all encouraged to apply to accredited sites, but you're not a poop if you have to apply to an APPIC site and that's the one you match with. :sour:
It’s not easy to feel great when you didn’t match in phase I BUT the bolded part is not accurate. According to Phase I 2020 statistics there were 3,891 applicants and 3,513 accredited positions. So only 378 applicants will not get an accredited internship. That is less than 10% of all applicants. “Great” programs are more likely to have students match to accredited internship positions than programs who pump out 50-60 applicants per year. Yes there is competition but there is almost as many accredited spots as there are applicants. In the phase II thread thread someone reported a captive internship site affiliated with Nova has ALL their spots available in phase II. When a site specifically created to take students from a specific program has all spots empty after phase I, it makes you wonder what was the quality of the students who applied but didn’t match. A sad reality for people who are training in this field. Good luck to those in phase II!

Reactions: thebalmofhurtminds

modestmousktr

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status
Finally checking in! Applied to 16, interviewed at 7, ranked 6, matched to #2 and extremely thrilled about it. Thank God this is over.

Good luck everyone. Your participation in Phase II does not make you a lesser clinician- they are some amazing sites out there, and ten years from now, no one is going to ask you in which phase you matched. Proud of all of your hard work.

ExecutiveDysfunction

2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2018
It’s not easy to feel great when you didn’t match in phase I BUT the bolded part is not accurate. According to Phase I 2020 statistics there were 3,891 applicants and 3,513 accredited positions. So only 378 applicants will not get an accredited internship. That is less than 10% of all applicants. “Great” programs are more likely to have students match to accredited internship positions than programs who pump out 50-60 applicants per year. Yes there is competition but there is almost as many accredited spots as there are applicants. In the phase II thread thread someone reported a captive internship site affiliated with Nova has ALL their spots available in phase II. When a site specifically created to take students from a specific program has all spots empty after phase I, it makes you wonder what was the quality of the students who applied but didn’t match. A sad reality for people who are training in this field. Good luck to those in phase II!
Not to split hairs, and I’m sure Nova’s training model leaves something to be desired. But their consortium is open to Nova students, but they’re not required to participate in it. Less “captive” than just available.

Source: didn’t go to Nova but interned with someone from there in a non-affiliated internship

Oct 4, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Finally checking in! Applied to 16, interviewed at 7, ranked 6, matched to #2 and extremely thrilled about it. Thank God this is over.

Good luck everyone. Your participation in Phase II does not make you a lesser clinician- they are some amazing sites out there, and ten years from now, no one is going to ask you in which phase you matched. Proud of all of your hard work.
Thank you :1cry:

About the Ads

CatsFan

7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Oh man, I could have written this post a couple of years ago. I similarly fell down my list and ended up going to a great program in a location I never expected to move to. However, I ended up matching to my #1 ranked neuro postdoc! Internship year really does go fast, and having a solid neuro-track internship will set you up really well for the postdoc match. Best of luck to you!!

CatsFan

7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yes, I would have loved to see neuro specific match statistics. Applied to 20 sites, went on 10 interviews, ranked 14 tracks, matched at my #9. It felt very surprising, I think because I've been generalizing overall match statistics to neuro. It just isn't the same, but I am happy to have matched to a neuro seat! Good luck to you next year!!!
This is so true, it’s definitely not the same!! I would also love to see neuro specific stats and I think I put that in my survey lol. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard...oh well, maybe someday!

psyche27

Clinical Psychologist and Training Director
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2011
Status
Psychologist
Not to split hairs, and I’m sure Nova’s training model leaves something to be desired. But their consortium is open to Nova students, but they’re not required to participate in it. Less “captive” than just available.

Source: didn’t go to Nova but interned with someone from there in a non-affiliated internship
Captive = only for their students and likely is a backup for any student who didn’t match.

Reactions: dcpsychdoc

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
The bold is accurate for New York City and in my program. NYC programs and internships are close and everyone kinda knows one another. It is EXTREMELY competitive here. We know who matches, who doesn't, where they applied, the circumstances of the programs they're coming from and the circumstances of the programs they applied to, ect. We have internal statistics as well, so yes, it is accurate. It may be different for smaller cities or rural areas. This year, two matched APPIC and that's fine for them considering they had to stay local for their families. One student did not match and is in Phase II. Thanks.

LoadingDrDu

PsyD Candidate - Counseling Psychology
Dec 29, 2019
Status
Psychologist
Matched at my #3, but deep down inside, I know that the energy they gave me on interview day was #1. Goodness of fit is a 10 overall. Couldn't be more satisfied. Congratulations everybody. For those of you who move to Phase 2, I'm rooting for you. I'm certain you've endured things throughout your respective programs equally if not more difficult, and because of that, you WILL persist!!

#TheMarathonContinues

Mar 21, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Howdy crew, so proud of everyone here. You're all killer clinicians! Remember that phases 1 and 2 are both just parts of the same process and matching in one or the other has no bearing on your abilities. I applied to mostly forensic sites and a few of them are now in Phase 2 so if anyone is interested in information, please don't hesitate to DM me!

I applied to 18, interviewed at 9, ranked 7, and matched at my number 1.

2020 Cohort 4 life.

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Howdy crew, so proud of everyone here. You're all killer clinicians! Remember that phases 1 and 2 are both just parts of the same process and matching in one or the other has no bearing on your abilities. I applied to mostly forensic sites and a few of them are now in Phase 2 so if anyone is interested in information, please don't hesitate to DM me! I applied to 18, interviewed at 9, ranked 7, and matched at my number 1.

2020 Cohort 4 life.
I LOVE THAT! Yay for all of us! For those of us who matched and will match in Phase 2! Lots of love and luck!

#2020cohort4life
yayforus.jpg

• Love
Reactions: DocHolliday23
Nov 22, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I matched to my #1 spot and am really enthusiastic about it but noticed that there is currently one other intern who also matched. There are still 2 spots open and I’m just wondering if this is a red flag. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’m wondering what if the site is not as great as I had imagined during the interview. Also wondering if it was a great site then why others may not have ranked the site as high. Am I just overthinking it all?

• Hmm

123EW

7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2012
Status
I matched to my #1 spot and am really enthusiastic about it but noticed that there is currently one other intern who also matched. There are still 2 spots open and I’m just wondering if this is a red flag. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’m wondering what if the site is not as great as I had imagined during the interview. Also wondering if it was a great site then why others may not have ranked the site as high. Am I just overthinking it all?
It would be interesting to see (especially for sites that have openings in Phase II) the number of interviews vs. the number of people ranked. My guess is that some sites are still operating with the notion that there is an internship imbalance and therefore are unrealistically selective.

Nov 9, 2018
I think you are overthinking it! I’m on internship this year, matcheD at my #1 rank. We still have openings for this cycle and it has been a solid training site with great supervisors.

Nov 22, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I just spoke to an alum of my program. She was matched to my site a few years ago. She said that there are some boundary issues and that I’m going to have to advocate for myself if I want time for admin, etc. She also mentioned that the staff does not provide good guidance and is hypercritical. Ahhh! I did not get that feel from the current interns when I was interviewing nor did I get that feel when I interviewed with the staff (but I also did not interview with everyone). I’m a little upset with myself at this point and not sure what to believe. Disappointed! ☹

• Sad

hopsandskips

5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Psychology
Is it bad form to contact your internship before two weeks after matching (APPIC recommends waiting two weeks)? I haven't heard from mine at all, and this is probably just anxiety speaking, but I would like confirmation that yes you matched and yes we'll see you next year.

Oct 4, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I just spoke to an alum of my program. She was matched to my site a few years ago. She said that there are some boundary issues and that I’m going to have to advocate for myself if I want time for admin, etc. She also mentioned that the staff does not provide good guidance and is hypercritical. Ahhh! I did not get that feel from the current interns when I was interviewing nor did I get that feel when I interviewed with the staff (but I also did not interview with everyone). I’m a little upset with myself at this point and not sure what to believe. Disappointed! ☹
Did this alum mention specific names? Maybe those people aren’t at the internship anymore and it’s not an issue!

NeuroJaguar

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2016
Status
Psychology Student
Is it bad form to contact your internship before two weeks after matching (APPIC recommends waiting two weeks)? I haven't heard from mine at all, and this is probably just anxiety speaking, but I would like confirmation that yes you matched and yes we'll see you next year.
My understanding is the APPIC recommends waiting two weeks to request your written agreement for the position. If you didn't get a call on match day verbally confirming the match, I would certainly get in touch with the training director today!

Bubbala

5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
That's bizarre that they wouldn't contact you at all. I'd go ahead with an email at the very least.

About the Ads