APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone rank as a couple by chance? Was this something you discussed with your DCT?

Members don't see this ad.

Friends, just curious! I interviewed at the Philly VA for neuro and so did a bunch of peers from other neuro programs in the city, but their track is now in Phase II. That means none of us were ranked, correct? We all put it in our top 3 :(

Assuming you all matched to lower ranked sites or did not match - correct.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I responded to the direct quote of the inaccurate information. It's there so that people reading can see and get that information in the future, as these threads are commonly re-referenced in future application cycles. Not sure why you are making this personal, it was a simple correction of inaccurate information. Nothing more.

I really don't get why you keep pushing your pro-APA accredited internship agenda on the forum. It's like you actually care about students having successful careers, or something. Haven't you heard about my one friend who didn't do an accredited internship and is now a phenomenal psychologist at the VA?

This happens every year. WisNeuro is too nice for this. Bring in my guy, Erg.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't get why you keep pushing your pro-APA accredited internship agenda on the forum. It's like you actually care about students having successful careers, or something. Haven't you heard about my one friend who didn't do an accredited internship and is now a phenomenal psychologist at the VA?

This happens every year. WisNeuro is too nice for this. Bring in my guy, Erg.

Wow...

LadyEmmaPeel said:
Then why not reply directly to them earlier in the rodeo instead of skipping them and coming at me instead? :meh: We have great psych programs in NYC, but with so much competition, not everyone will match at an accredited site. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the programs ("re: that says something about the programs then"). We're all encouraged to apply to accredited sites, but you're not a poop if you have to apply to an APPIC site and that's the one you match with. :sour:
It’s not easy to feel great when you didn’t match in phase I BUT the bolded part is not accurate. According to Phase I 2020 statistics there were 3,891 applicants and 3,513 accredited positions. So only 378 applicants will not get an accredited internship. That is less than 10% of all applicants. “Great” programs are more likely to have students match to accredited internship positions than programs who pump out 50-60 applicants per year. Yes there is competition but there is almost as many accredited spots as there are applicants. In the phase II thread thread someone reported a captive internship site affiliated with Nova has ALL their spots available in phase II. When a site specifically created to take students from a specific program has all spots empty after phase I, it makes you wonder what was the quality of the students who applied but didn’t match. A sad reality for people who are training in this field. Good luck to those in phase II!

Finally checking in! Applied to 16, interviewed at 7, ranked 6, matched to #2 and extremely thrilled about it. Thank God this is over.

Good luck everyone. Your participation in Phase II does not make you a lesser clinician- they are some amazing sites out there, and ten years from now, no one is going to ask you in which phase you matched. Proud of all of your hard work.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not easy to feel great when you didn’t match in phase I BUT the bolded part is not accurate. According to Phase I 2020 statistics there were 3,891 applicants and 3,513 accredited positions. So only 378 applicants will not get an accredited internship. That is less than 10% of all applicants. “Great” programs are more likely to have students match to accredited internship positions than programs who pump out 50-60 applicants per year. Yes there is competition but there is almost as many accredited spots as there are applicants. In the phase II thread thread someone reported a captive internship site affiliated with Nova has ALL their spots available in phase II. When a site specifically created to take students from a specific program has all spots empty after phase I, it makes you wonder what was the quality of the students who applied but didn’t match. A sad reality for people who are training in this field. Good luck to those in phase II!

Not to split hairs, and I’m sure Nova’s training model leaves something to be desired. But their consortium is open to Nova students, but they’re not required to participate in it. Less “captive” than just available.

Source: didn’t go to Nova but interned with someone from there in a non-affiliated internship

Finally checking in! Applied to 16, interviewed at 7, ranked 6, matched to #2 and extremely thrilled about it. Thank God this is over.

Good luck everyone. Your participation in Phase II does not make you a lesser clinician- they are some amazing sites out there, and ten years from now, no one is going to ask you in which phase you matched. Proud of all of your hard work.
Thank you :cryi:

• Hmm
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I matched to my #7 choice out of 15 rankings. I was very disappointed and shocked at first but after reflecting on it, I think it will be ok. It's a great program and I only ranked it low because of location. It seems that neuro internships in particular are just becoming more and more competitive. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and I am trying to look at this as another one of the many obstacles I've had to overcome on this journey called life. Hoping that everything works out for everyone and sending only positive vibes out!:)

Oh man, I could have written this post a couple of years ago. I similarly fell down my list and ended up going to a great program in a location I never expected to move to. However, I ended up matching to my #1 ranked neuro postdoc! Internship year really does go fast, and having a solid neuro-track internship will set you up really well for the postdoc match. Best of luck to you!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I would have loved to see neuro specific match statistics. Applied to 20 sites, went on 10 interviews, ranked 14 tracks, matched at my #9. It felt very surprising, I think because I've been generalizing overall match statistics to neuro. It just isn't the same, but I am happy to have matched to a neuro seat! Good luck to you next year!!!

This is so true, it’s definitely not the same!! I would also love to see neuro specific stats and I think I put that in my survey lol. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard...oh well, maybe someday!

Not to split hairs, and I’m sure Nova’s training model leaves something to be desired. But their consortium is open to Nova students, but they’re not required to participate in it. Less “captive” than just available.

Source: didn’t go to Nova but interned with someone from there in a non-affiliated internship

Captive = only for their students and likely is a backup for any student who didn’t match.

The bold is accurate for New York City and in my program. NYC programs and internships are close and everyone kinda knows one another. It is EXTREMELY competitive here. We know who matches, who doesn't, where they applied, the circumstances of the programs they're coming from and the circumstances of the programs they applied to, ect. We have internal statistics as well, so yes, it is accurate. It may be different for smaller cities or rural areas. This year, two matched APPIC and that's fine for them considering they had to stay local for their families. One student did not match and is in Phase II. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at my #3, but deep down inside, I know that the energy they gave me on interview day was #1. Goodness of fit is a 10 overall. Couldn't be more satisfied. Congratulations everybody. For those of you who move to Phase 2, I'm rooting for you. I'm certain you've endured things throughout your respective programs equally if not more difficult, and because of that, you WILL persist!!

#TheMarathonContinues

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Howdy crew, so proud of everyone here. You're all killer clinicians! Remember that phases 1 and 2 are both just parts of the same process and matching in one or the other has no bearing on your abilities. I applied to mostly forensic sites and a few of them are now in Phase 2 so if anyone is interested in information, please don't hesitate to DM me!

I applied to 18, interviewed at 9, ranked 7, and matched at my number 1.

2020 Cohort 4 life.

• Love
Howdy crew, so proud of everyone here. You're all killer clinicians! Remember that phases 1 and 2 are both just parts of the same process and matching in one or the other has no bearing on your abilities. I applied to mostly forensic sites and a few of them are now in Phase 2 so if anyone is interested in information, please don't hesitate to DM me! I applied to 18, interviewed at 9, ranked 7, and matched at my number 1.

2020 Cohort 4 life.

I LOVE THAT! Yay for all of us! For those of us who matched and will match in Phase 2! Lots of love and luck!

#2020cohort4life
yayforus.jpg

• Love
I matched to my #1 spot and am really enthusiastic about it but noticed that there is currently one other intern who also matched. There are still 2 spots open and I’m just wondering if this is a red flag. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’m wondering what if the site is not as great as I had imagined during the interview. Also wondering if it was a great site then why others may not have ranked the site as high. Am I just overthinking it all?

• Hmm
I matched to my #1 spot and am really enthusiastic about it but noticed that there is currently one other intern who also matched. There are still 2 spots open and I’m just wondering if this is a red flag. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’m wondering what if the site is not as great as I had imagined during the interview. Also wondering if it was a great site then why others may not have ranked the site as high. Am I just overthinking it all?

It would be interesting to see (especially for sites that have openings in Phase II) the number of interviews vs. the number of people ranked. My guess is that some sites are still operating with the notion that there is an internship imbalance and therefore are unrealistically selective.

Reactions: 3 users

I think you are overthinking it! I’m on internship this year, matcheD at my #1 rank. We still have openings for this cycle and it has been a solid training site with great supervisors.

I just spoke to an alum of my program. She was matched to my site a few years ago. She said that there are some boundary issues and that I’m going to have to advocate for myself if I want time for admin, etc. She also mentioned that the staff does not provide good guidance and is hypercritical. Ahhh! I did not get that feel from the current interns when I was interviewing nor did I get that feel when I interviewed with the staff (but I also did not interview with everyone). I’m a little upset with myself at this point and not sure what to believe. Disappointed! ☹️

• Sad
Is it bad form to contact your internship before two weeks after matching (APPIC recommends waiting two weeks)? I haven't heard from mine at all, and this is probably just anxiety speaking, but I would like confirmation that yes you matched and yes we'll see you next year.

I just spoke to an alum of my program. She was matched to my site a few years ago. She said that there are some boundary issues and that I’m going to have to advocate for myself if I want time for admin, etc. She also mentioned that the staff does not provide good guidance and is hypercritical. Ahhh! I did not get that feel from the current interns when I was interviewing nor did I get that feel when I interviewed with the staff (but I also did not interview with everyone). I’m a little upset with myself at this point and not sure what to believe. Disappointed! ☹
Did this alum mention specific names? Maybe those people aren’t at the internship anymore and it’s not an issue!

• Sad
Is it bad form to contact your internship before two weeks after matching (APPIC recommends waiting two weeks)? I haven't heard from mine at all, and this is probably just anxiety speaking, but I would like confirmation that yes you matched and yes we'll see you next year.

My understanding is the APPIC recommends waiting two weeks to request your written agreement for the position. If you didn't get a call on match day verbally confirming the match, I would certainly get in touch with the training director today!

That's bizarre that they wouldn't contact you at all. I'd go ahead with an email at the very least.

Anyone else match at Central Washington University? Would love to meet fellow interns. Dm me if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if I'm on the wrong forum (feel free to tell me to gtfo)-- but did anyone else here match to University of Vermont Medical Center? Message me if you want! :)

Official Site Name: WVU/Charleston Area Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/4
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NA
Offered Interview Dates: January 3rd, 10th, and 17th
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Cuddling my Guinea pig, holiday movies, and laying on the beach :)
Hey! I'm an applicant to WVU this year, and I have interviews of all of their three offered interview dates. I did request a different day, but they said they aren't able to do a different day. Do you know how a) I know if I'm still being considered, and b) whether it's really true that not doing a visit day will not affect the strength of my application, and c) when they want us to "express our interest" by contacting faculty members, what they are expecting us to do? Thank you so much for advising, I find the process for this site a little confusing!! P.S. Hope you did end up matching :)