APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who were invited to an interview at Orlando VAMC, have you heard back from the TD/Admin Assist. confirming your selected interview date?

I have sat with deciding to respond to this for several days. I am a previous intern and I don’t believe it is ethical for me to stay silent. The environment at SCS was incredibly toxic and was rampant with sexual harassment. I would be happy to share more about what occurred during my year there in a private message. I’d encourage anyone who is interviewing with SCS to ask how they address trainee safety, and how previous trainee complaints have been addressed.
Thank you AllTheFeels for sharing about your experiences. I am also a previous intern at University of Minnesota Student Counseling Services (SCS) and have debated whether or not to post on here. Seeing your post has helped me have the courage to share briefly about my experience too. Sadly I also experienced SCS as toxic. I witnessed multiple instances of sexual harassment in staff meetings or office gathering while I was there as an intern. I never witnessed fellow staff members or the director interject when these comments were happening (mostly people would just laugh and write it off as a joke). I echo what AllTheFeels suggests of asking about how trainee concerns have been addressed. I also suggest talking to interns privately about their relationship with staff and how much power they feel they have to bring concerns forward (e.g. do they feel supported by the TD, the director, the center as a whole). Same as AllTheFeels, I am willing to share more about my experience in a private message. I sincerely want you all to have a wonderful internship year. Your internship year should be one to never forget because it helps you grow in your identity as a psychologist, not because it leaves you traumatized and feeling gaslit.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you AllTheFeels for sharing about your experiences. I am also a previous intern at University of Minnesota Student Counseling Services (SCS) and have debated whether or not to post on here. Seeing your post has helped me have the courage to share briefly about my experience too. Sadly I also experienced SCS as toxic. I witnessed multiple instances of sexual harassment in staff meetings or office gathering while I was there as an intern. I never witnessed fellow staff members or the director interject when these comments were happening (mostly people would just laugh and write it off as a joke). I echo what AllTheFeels suggests of asking about how trainee concerns have been addressed. I also suggest talking to interns privately about their relationship with staff and how much power they feel they have to bring concerns forward (e.g. do they feel supported by the TD, the director, the center as a whole). Same as AllTheFeels, I am willing to share more about my experience in a private message. I sincerely want you all to have a wonderful internship year. Your internship year should be one to never forget because it helps you grow in your identity as a psychologist, not because it leaves you traumatized and feeling gaslit.

Very brave of you both to speak about this issue you both experienced via the forum and both done in a professional manner, IMO.

I am a supervisor within a consortium and as a supervisor and former intern I am highly concerned that these things are happening to interns, who are by default in a very difficult position to speak about their concerns due to the power differential as well as knowing the importance of internship TD and supervisor recommendations when applying for postdoc, licensure, and perhaps post-licensure employment. It’s very concerning that supervisors, who are supposed to serve as professional role models, may be sitting by and watching as possible sexual harassment is occurring.

Reactions: 7 users
Very brave of you both to speak about this issue you both experienced via the forum and both done in a professional manner, IMO.

I am a supervisor within a consortium and as a supervisor and former intern I am highly concerned that these things are happening to interns, who are by default in a very difficult position to speak about their concerns due to the power differential as well as knowing the importance of internship TD and supervisor recommendations when applying for postdoc, licensure, and perhaps post-licensure employment. It’s very concerning that supervisors, who are supposed to serve as professional role models, may be sitting by and watching as possible sexual harassment is occurring.

I’d like to recommend that both of you reach out to APPIC using the informal problem resolution link to consult about options for reporting your concerns.

They can help you determine what the options are and how to report this information in a way that protects some of our most vulnerable people, the current and future trainees at the site.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d like to recommend that both of you reach out to APPIC using the informal problem resolution link to consult about options for reporting your concerns.

They can help you determine what the options are and how to report this information in a way that protects some of our most vulnerable people, the current and future trainees at the site.

Thank you. I had filed with them and looked to pursue a formal complaint. Unfortunately, interns only have 30 days from the completion of internship to file a formal complaint.

Thank you. I had filed with them and looked to pursue a formal complaint. Unfortunately, interns only have 30 days from the completion of internship to file a formal complaint.

Look up when they’re up for reaccreditation. You will have a very narrow window in that time to talk to site visitors.

Has anyone heard from Coalinga in California yet?

I would have thought this thread would have died out by now seeing how majority of sites should have already sent out notifications :p

I would have thought this thread would have died out by now seeing how majority of sites should have already sent out notifications :p

Quite a few sites have not sent anything out yet. I have cohort members who are very frustrated at having to wait so long. o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite a few sites have not sent anything out yet. I have cohort members who are very frustrated at having to wait so long. o_O

That really sucks. I get the feeling these sites represent a statistical minority of internship sites that are still sending out notifications this late.

When are everybody's latest interviews? Curious when sites are going up to this year!

My last one is on January 24th. For that specific site, I had interview options up until January 31st. Needless to say, I did not want to push this process out that long.

It looks like Coalinga may notify as late as January 15th.

Love this site and the support. Now that most of us have received our notifications, is there a thread for interview prep?

I was wondering how other students felt their interview at Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital went. Feel free to message me.

Has anyone heard from USC?

On Dec 20th I received a rejection email from USC. They initially said they would notify on the 23rd. Its a rough time at SC though, unfortunately a lot of student deaths this semester. Whoever matches there, I'd be interested to know about that experience.

• Love
  • Sad
Hey friends, in terms of ranking and matching, should I rank my neuro track choice #1 (even if I feel meh) because they only have 1 neuro position, and the rest of my sites have 2-3 general positions? If I understand how the algorithm works, I need to put my top choice and the one that's most competitive first in order to have any chance? They're all neuro experience sites, but I have one that is specifically a neuro track and they only have one position that a bunch of us will be fighting over. Actual fighting of course, like with stones, machetes, and sticks...hehe...
Please advise... :wideyed:

Is anyone attending the open house for the Nebraska Internship Consortium on the 2nd? If so, are you wearing formal interview attire for this as well as for your interview on the 3rd?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey friends, in terms of ranking and matching, should I rank my neuro track choice #1 (even if I feel meh) because they only have 1 neuro position, and the rest of my sites have 2-3 general positions? If I understand how the algorithm works, I need to put my top choice and the one that's most competitive first in order to have any chance? They're all neuro experience sites, but I have one that is specifically a neuro track and they only have one position that a bunch of us will be fighting over. Actual fighting of course, like with stones, machetes, and sticks...hehe...

I would say rank based on your own preferences, not based on the competitiveness of the site or where you suspect they might rank you. Therefore, I would rank based on where I am most (and least, relatively speaking) excited to go.

To put it differently, if they rank you #1, you will match with them if you haven't matched to a site earlier on your list. You would match with them whether you ranked them first, last, or anywhere in-between, assuming you didn't match to a site earlier on your list.

As an example, let's say you rank them #5 and they rank you #1. The algorithm will attempt to match you to your #'s 1 thru 4 sites in succession. If that's unsuccessful, they will put you in with that #5 site. If there's already an applicant temporarily matched with them, that applicant would get bumped in place of you (because the site ranked you #1).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

This resource by APPIC provides a very informative FAQ-format explanation of the Rank Order List and the best strategy for getting the best possible outcome. I think the answer to the second question is particularly helpful!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know anything about San Bernardino behavioral health? Like their internship program. I said what sites I preferred for their forensic/outpatient track but they have two options for their OT sites and I am really only interested in one. They also have two options for the forensic/correctional site but it seems like only one of the sites does any assessments?

Anyways, I know I can ask at the interview but it might go by in a blur and then they might tell me "yes, X forensic site is available" but if I match, they might pull the switcheroo on me and put me at Y forensic site that does no assessments.

Anyone else totally burned out and dreading all the traveling in January? How to get that energy backkkk! How can we/I feel excited and invigorated again?! There must be an answer! Tell us oh wise (healthy) ones!

I say all that as I lie on my couch with the influenza...:hungover:

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't even had my first interview yet and I feel the same. Bleh.

I have already done 1 via phone at a VA. It was nice. Intense with what seemed like my entire oral comprehensive exam condensed into 20 minutes. I still have two more people I am interviewing with from that site via phone on the 9th. It was cool because, during my interview, the neuropsychologist asked me if I would also like to be considered for their generalist track. I had mentioned that I didn't apply to that one and I had thought it was too late. She reassured me that she can "mark me" on her end as also a generalist track applicant and I will be able to rank that track in addition to the neuro track I was interviewing for. January will be busy: I fly out on the 1st for my first in-person interview, come back on the 4th, then on the 5th I am driving 11 hours to another VA interview. I come back on the 7th from there, then on the 9th I fly out to the northeast for another interview, come back on the 11th. Then I have some downtime until another interview on the 15th...followed by some downtime until the 23rd when fly out again for two more interviews in the northeast and come back on the 27th from there. In total, I have 10 opportunities to rank/and or match to. One of my sites isn't interviewing me, but said I was competitive enough for them that they will rank me (lovely feeling that is :p ).

If I match to one of my top sites which happens to be local for me, my husband said we could go anywhere in the world for a week. A much-needed vacation to say the least. However, if I match someone outside of my city, well...no traveling because we will need to save $$ for moving expenses and 3-4 months worth of rent/bills, etc.

Anyone else totally burned out and dreading all the traveling in January? How to get that energy backkkk! How can we/I feel excited and invigorated again?! There must be an answer! Tell us oh wise (healthy) ones!

I say all that as I lie on my couch with the influenza...:hungover:

I hear you. I just want this to be done. I know the APAGS book says not to have that mentality...well tough, it's happening anyway lol. In between now and March I need to interview, finish data collection, analyze my data, write up the last two chapters and defend. So...I just want to fast forward to that point. I am done. By the time I finish post-doc, I would have been in higher education for about 14 years. I am exhausted. I am old.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't even had my first interview yet and I feel the same. Bleh.

I feel you. I really do. :dead:

cfdb6d035098b169fcc4ad86a90076a7.jpg

• Love
I hear you. I just want this to be done. I know the APAGS book says not to have that mentality...well tough, it's happening anyway lol. In between now and March I need to interview, finish data collection, analyze my data, write up the last two chapters and defend. So...I just want to fast forward to that point. I am done. by the time I finish post-doc, I would have been in higher education for about 14 years. I am exhausted. I am old.

WE are exhausted and we are old.
:shy:

biddy-4-300x210.png

Thank you for validating me and for sharing your own perspective. Literally, one day at a time...is all we can do.

WE are exhausted and we are old.
:shy:

View attachment 290995

Thank you for validating me and for sharing your own perspective. Literally, one day at a time...is all we can do.

Exactly. I've also been out on medical leave for this whole semester after getting bariatric surgery which resulted in several complications. Now, I am feeling like a new person. I managed to propose my dissertation from my bed via teleconferencing and applied to 33 programs. So I feel good considering what I was dealing with. It's unfortunate tho because I find myself being more irritated and frustrated easily. My surgeon told me this was to be expected. I ended up going out to some malls recently and just being around people...did...not...go...well. So, I am hoping to temper that going forward this coming month.

• Love
I hear you. I just want this to be done. I know the APAGS book says not to have that mentality...well tough, it's happening anyway lol. In between now and March I need to interview, finish data collection, analyze my data, write up the last two chapters and defend. So...I just want to fast forward to that point. I am done. By the time I finish post-doc, I would have been in higher education for about 14 years. I am exhausted. I am old.
I want to cry when I think of how long I've been in college...I want to not be poor and have stable income and employment and finally buy a house somewhere. Is that too much to ask?? And then don't even get me started on having to potentially move for postdoc...and then maybe employment...

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I want to cry when I think of how long I've been in college...I want to not be poor and have stable income and employment and finally buy a house somewhere. Is that too much to ask?? And then don't even get me started on having to potentially move for postdoc...and then maybe employment...

Truth! I am 31, my husband is 39...we would really like to buy our first home before we begin filing for retirement :) My mom was 27 when she bought hers, however, she also spent nearly 3 decades of her life working up the corporate ladder. I got a piece of that for a little while and quickly realized that while she was able to attain the goal of being a homeowner (now on her second home), there were significant trade-offs (I hated working in corporate environments). Now she is going back to school (in her 50's) to get her bachelor's degree. She has had enough of the politics and is ready to open up her own real estate firm. Good for her.

I want to cry when I think of how long I've been in college...

I don't think I've gone through grad school (parts 1 and 2) without some intermittent crying. A good cryfest is absolutely needed

• Love
Hello Colleagues! I have been mulling over some thoughts regarding my interview schedule and would like to run something by the forum. Specifically, if any person has already been through the internship process already, I’m curious about your reflections on the process. I appreciate feedback from anyone, however!

I am fortunate enough to have gotten almost all of the 20 sites to which I applied (17). Having not been through this process, I (think?) I made the mistake of accepting every interview that did not have a schedule conflict, and requested only a couple phone interviews that conflicted with other sites. I am feeling overwhelmed by my crammed interview schedule, and am now feeling tempted to request phone/Skype interviews from my lower preference sites. I do not want to disrespect the time of TD’s in reviewing my materials and accommodating my schedule! At the same time, I want to be well rested and prepared for my top site interviews and worry my tight schedule will impact my performance.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk