PsyD Doctoral Candidate - Clinical Psychology
Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
o

I have a colleague who did just that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh thank you!!! I was so worried, but hopeful it could still work out!

Reactions: kmv2021
About the Ads

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
...even though I matched at a university...can I still get a VA post-doc if I work my butt off? Hoping this doesn't obliterate my chances. :bigtears:
When I was in the VA, we definitely took postdocs without a VA internship. The VA internship definitely gives someone a slight advantage at some VAs, but a strong application otherwise can otherwise still get you in the door.

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
When I was in the VA, we definitely took postdocs without a VA internship. The VA internship definitely gives someone a slight advantage at some VAs, but a strong application otherwise can otherwise still get you in the door.
That is GREAT to hear! I have been trying to do neuro VA work for years, but it's so competitive in NYC. I will test my heart out!!! Thank you fir the sprinkle of hope. :rolleyes:

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
That is GREAT to hear! I have been trying to do neuro VA work for years, but it's so competitive in NYC. I will test my heart out!!! Thank you fir the sprinkle of hope. :rolleyes:
If you are restricted to NYC, the chances definitely slim down. Not too mention, I think some of the best VA training sites for neuro are in different geographic areas.

Reactions: LadyEmmaPeel

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
If you are restricted to NYC, the chances definitely slim down. Not too mention, I think some of the best VA training sites for neuro are in different geographic areas.
I will go anywhere for post-doc! :couchpotato:

Reactions: WisNeuro

hillies

7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2011
Status
Psychologist
Congrats to everyone! I think that going through this as a TD is an annual reminder of the stressful nature of this whole process, so I can definitely relate to how you all are feeling right now. Please take care of yourselves today whether you're celebrating matching, grieving, or just celebrating surviving today. Phase 2 match day will come soon, and so will new opportunities.

Nov 21, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Matched to my #4. I'm honesty surprised and dont know how I feel about it yet. I think I was just expecting to go to round two for like 5 months and am in shock. And that interview went terribly (was my first one, and skype) and I am surprised they ranked me at all. I've never been there, either. Still processing it all.

LAnne

Clinical Psychology PhD Student
Nov 14, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
...even though I matched at a university...can I still get a VA post-doc if I work my butt off? Hoping this doesn't obliterate my chances. :bigtears:
I know several who have done that. I definitely think your chances will still be good. It also seems a lot of VAs are less competitive for Post Doc than internship

About the Ads

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
I know several who have done that. I definitely think your chances will still be good. It also seems a lot of VAs are less competitive for Post Doc than internship
That is motivating and helpful to know! :joyful:

Reactions: LAnne

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Outside of neuro, I would 100% agree.
Uh oh. My internship will be neuro focused, but I'd love to do neuro at a VA or even get more generalist training. Is that not possible?

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Psychologist
Uh oh. My internship will be neuro focused, but I'd love to do neuro at a VA or even get more generalist training. Is that not possible?
Oh, it's still entirely possible; I'm living proof (i.e., completed my internship at an AMC and fellowship at a VA). I just meant that neuro VA postdocs aren't necessarily less competitive than neuro VA internships. But by having a neuro-focused internship, you're making yourself competitive in that regard.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I concur with @AcronymAllergy s assessment of postdoc competitiveness. The overall applicant pool is generally stronger, somewhat due to some of the weaker people dropping out, perhaps pursuing non-neuro options after internship.

Jun 20, 2018
Totally! I have a colleague at my current site, a large VA in a major city, who did not have any VA experience. Matched at our VA for postdoc and already has been offered a full-time position. It's doable!

Nov 5, 2019
I’m about to see patients for the next two hours. If I get a phone call from the TD of my internship site, am I expected to answer the phone, or is it okay if I just call them back?
I'm sure it's fine if you call them back! I've heard these phone calls are brief congrats and just to give a heads up that they'll be contacting you with more information soon.

Reactions: psychyouthought

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Psychologist
I’m about to see patients for the next two hours. If I get a phone call from the TD of my internship site, am I expected to answer the phone, or is it okay if I just call them back?
If you're in with a patient, I'm sure the TD would understand. They'll likely leave a message with any needed instructions (e.g., if they need you to call them back, or if they're just calling to say congratulations).

About the Ads

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Had an AWESOME interview at a VA out West and just saw they're in Phase II now with two openings. Really? Glad I'm not dating cuz I totally misjudged that connection! :(#kickinthejunk

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
I guess your higher ranked site didn’t like you enough, lol
Haha, yeah kinda hating the whole thing right now. Totally misread the vibes. Not a good time to start drinking either! Chocolate it is! :smuggrin:

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Do you make it your goal to be a super dingus to people on the forum? I've seen your reactions and responses to posts. What's the point of these interactions?
Oh I thought that was directed at me and not you; had to look again. Sorry boo! :shy: How did your match turn out? I feel like we had similar reactions.

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
I guess your higher ranked site didn’t like you enough, lol
I say this with love: Don't be a terd nugget. This is a tough day and we're all friends and colleagues here! :nono:

Nov 12, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Oh I thought that was directed at me and not you; had to look again. Sorry boo! :shy: How did your match turn out? I feel like we had similar reactions.
Thanks LadyEmmaPeel. I matched to my 4th, which is objectively a great site, but it stings that my top 3 didn't like me as much as I like them. Ah well, life goes on. I hope we can all be supportive of each other through this process.

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Thanks LadyEmmaPeel. I matched to my 4th, which is objectively a great site, but it stings that my top 3 didn't like me as much as I like them. Ah well, life goes on. I hope we can all be supportive of each other through this process.
I am trying to appreciate our matches and see the positive of it all as well! :)

affectiveH3art

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
Same here. Cried a whole bunch but feeling okay now. I think.
I cried with relief more so than celebration of where I matched. I found out I will be near so many beaches and close to Disneyland so the perks are getting better the more I look at the area!!! Mind you I have kiddos (although I'm a kid at heart)

About the Ads

affectiveH3art

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
Congrats to all of us!!! And those who will be going to Phase II - I am rooting for you for this second wave! Now that I have felt disappointment, cried out of relief and reflected on the positive aspects of the site....IM TREATING MYSELF TO A GOOD MEAL!! And possibly a nap.

Nov 15, 2019
Status
Psychology Student, Psychologist
Had an AWESOME interview at a VA out West and just saw they're in Phase II now with two openings. Really? Glad I'm not dating cuz I totally misjudged that connection! :(#kickinthejunk
Same! Does this mean you weren’t ranked at that site at all? Especially if you ranked the site high?

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Same! Does this mean you weren’t ranked at that site at all? Especially if you ranked the site high?
That's exactly what it means. :arghh:

• Sad
Reactions: psychboo
Nov 12, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I cried with relief more so than celebration of where I matched. I found out I will be near so many beaches and close to Disneyland so the perks are getting better the more I look at the area!!! Mind you I have kiddos (although I'm a kid at heart)
I think we're going to be in the same city, if I read what you wrote correctly. ;) Hope to see you around.

affectiveH3art

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
Congratulations, everyone! I am grateful to match at my #1.

Anyone else surprised with the number of really competitive sites with multiple spots in Phase II? APPIC Match | Participating Internships
It weirds me out that my number #2 (matched to my #3) is on there with 2 spots open lol But then again, I think they were so disorganized and didn't even know my name much less had no idea on what tracks I applied to.

• Wow

TCP

Dec 5, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
It weirds me out that my number #2 (matched to my #3) is on there with 2 spots open lol But then again, I think they were so disorganized and didn't even know my name much less had no idea on what tracks I applied to.
Omg, that sounds like an awful experience. I would hate to be at an unorganized internship site for the final year. I think you might've dodged a bullet!

affectiveH3art

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
Omg, that sounds like an awful experience. I would hate to be at an unorganized internship site for the final year. I think you might've dodged a bullet!
I didn't lol I matched to another track there :p Hey anything is better than what I am doing now!!

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Congratulations, everyone! I am grateful to match at my #1.

Anyone else surprised with the number of really competitive sites with multiple spots in Phase II? APPIC Match | Participating Internships
I am SHOCKED AF at some of the sites that have spots open. Shocked...jealous...a range of emotions!:confused:

Reactions: MichSim and TCP
Dec 5, 2019
Status
MD/PhD Student
I matched at my lowest ranked site (attended 8 interviews). It really stings knowing that so few people who match are placed outside their top 3 or even top 5 sites. I'm thankful I've matched and can begin planning. I know I'll make the most of it, but it's hard to celebrate when the match doesnt work for you the way people say it will.

About the Ads