APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had an AWESOME interview at a VA out West and just saw they're in Phase II now with two openings. Really? Glad I'm not dating cuz I totally misjudged that connection! :(#kickinthejunk

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Had an AWESOME interview at a VA out West and just saw they're in Phase II now with two openings. Really? Glad I'm not dating cuz I totally misjudged that connection! :(#kickinthejunk
There's a track on the Phase II list that I ranked higher than the site I matched at, and they have 2 openings.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess your higher ranked site didn’t like you enough, lol
Do you make it your goal to be a super dingus to people on the forum? I've seen your reactions and responses to posts. What's the point of these interactions?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Do you make it your goal to be a super dingus to people on the forum? I've seen your reactions and responses to posts. What's the point of these interactions?

Oh I thought that was directed at me and not you; had to look again. Sorry boo! :shy: How did your match turn out? I feel like we had similar reactions.

Oh I thought that was directed at me and not you; had to look again. Sorry boo! :shy: How did your match turn out? I feel like we had similar reactions.
Thanks LadyEmmaPeel. I matched to my 4th, which is objectively a great site, but it stings that my top 3 didn't like me as much as I like them. Ah well, life goes on. I hope we can all be supportive of each other through this process.

• Love
Thanks LadyEmmaPeel. I matched to my 4th, which is objectively a great site, but it stings that my top 3 didn't like me as much as I like them. Ah well, life goes on. I hope we can all be supportive of each other through this process.

I am trying to appreciate our matches and see the positive of it all as well! :)

Same here. Cried a whole bunch but feeling okay now. I think.

I cried with relief more so than celebration of where I matched. I found out I will be near so many beaches and close to Disneyland so the perks are getting better the more I look at the area!!! Mind you I have kiddos (although I'm a kid at heart)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all of us!!! And those who will be going to Phase II - I am rooting for you for this second wave! Now that I have felt disappointment, cried out of relief and reflected on the positive aspects of the site....IM TREATING MYSELF TO A GOOD MEAL!! And possibly a nap.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Same! Does this mean you weren’t ranked at that site at all? Especially if you ranked the site high?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I cried with relief more so than celebration of where I matched. I found out I will be near so many beaches and close to Disneyland so the perks are getting better the more I look at the area!!! Mind you I have kiddos (although I'm a kid at heart)
I think we're going to be in the same city, if I read what you wrote correctly. ;) Hope to see you around.

• Love
Same happened to me with one of my top sites! I completely understand

Congratulations, everyone! I am grateful to match at my #1.

Anyone else surprised with the number of really competitive sites with multiple spots in Phase II? APPIC Match | Participating Internships

It weirds me out that my number #2 (matched to my #3) is on there with 2 spots open lol But then again, I think they were so disorganized and didn't even know my name much less had no idea on what tracks I applied to.

• Wow
It weirds me out that my number #2 (matched to my #3) is on there with 2 spots open lol But then again, I think they were so disorganized and didn't even know my name much less had no idea on what tracks I applied to.

Omg, that sounds like an awful experience. I would hate to be at an unorganized internship site for the final year. I think you might've dodged a bullet!

Omg, that sounds like an awful experience. I would hate to be at an unorganized internship site for the final year. I think you might've dodged a bullet!

I didn't lol I matched to another track there :p Hey anything is better than what I am doing now!!

I matched at my lowest ranked site (attended 8 interviews). It really stings knowing that so few people who match are placed outside their top 3 or even top 5 sites. I'm thankful I've matched and can begin planning. I know I'll make the most of it, but it's hard to celebrate when the match doesnt work for you the way people say it will.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I’m in round 2 and now I’m nervous if all that’s left is competitive sites or non apa sites....

There is a great range of sites there. Plenty of them. I think you are overthinking a bit which I imagine is making you feel really anxious. As long as you don’t restrict yourself to specific locations, you should be fine.

And definitely do not apply to non-accredited sites!

• Love
I filled out my survey and mentioned that it would be so awesome if all internships recommended business casual rather than suits to help alleviate some of the cost of internship applications. Not my idea but I thought it was a great idea and if a lot of us mention this in the survey maybe positive change could happen? #no$4suits

I guess your higher ranked site didn’t like you enough, lol
I'm just curious as to why you would think this is an appropriate comment to make, why you are posting "sad face" reactions on posts where people are excited about their match, and "laughing" reactions on posts where people are clearly disappointed or seeking support? And then going to the Phase II board and doing the same thing?? I hope you treat your patients with more decorum than you are showing your colleagues on these forums.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I'm just curious as to why you would think this is an appropriate comment to make, why you are posting "sad face" reactions on posts where people are excited about their match, and "laughing" reactions on posts where people are clearly disappointed or seeking support? And then going to the Phase II board and doing the same thing?? I hope you treat your patients with more decorum than you are showing your colleagues on these forums.
Yeah this person is harassing people for....being sad they didn’t match? There are absolutely people here who should not be therapists and it’s not necessarily those who didn’t match round 1.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I matched to my #7 choice out of 15 rankings. I was very disappointed and shocked at first but after reflecting on it, I think it will be ok. It's a great program and I only ranked it low because of location. It seems that neuro internships in particular are just becoming more and more competitive. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and I am trying to look at this as another one of the many obstacles I've had to overcome on this journey called life. Hoping that everything works out for everyone and sending only positive vibes out!:)

Yes, I would have loved to see neuro specific match statistics. Applied to 20 sites, went on 10 interviews, ranked 14 tracks, matched at my #9. It felt very surprising, I think because I've been generalizing overall match statistics to neuro. It just isn't the same, but I am happy to have matched to a neuro seat! Good luck to you next year!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I've mostly just lurked here every few weeks rather than participate, but just wanted to say thanks to you all for this community! It's been great to feel a sense of community around this crazy process.

As for my results - I applied to 15, interviewed at 8, ranked 8, and fortunately matched at my #2. My #1 was mostly so I wouldn't have to move, and training is better at #2, so I'm happy with the result. I'm definitely feeling grateful/relieved for how it all turned out for me and am sending good vibes to everyone in phase II. Lots of good sites there!

• Love
Is a site "bad" if it's not APA accredited but APPIC accredited?

It’s not necessarily “bad” it’s just not accredited. Being an APPIC member doesn’t = accredited.

So what does it mean when they are APPIC accredited but not APA?
My TD said APPIC doesn't mean anything. In the eyes of our state, it's the same as non accredited. No extra points for being part of APPIC (because if I understand correctly, sites just pay money to be part of APPIC and have to meet some minimum standards...but it's not like a big process to get into APPIC).

APPIC isn’t an accreditation. They are an APPIC approved member which means they meet APPIC requirements and can participate in the match but that’s it.

No, not bad, but certain post-doc positions require an APA approved internship, so you have to be careful. If you're not planning on post-doc or board certification for neuro, then it's not a big deal.
The majority of institutional positions (VA, hospital, AMC) also require an APA accredited internship. It's a HUGE deal.

No, not bad, but certain post-doc positions require an APA approved internship, so you have to be careful. If you're not planning on post-doc or board certification for neuro, then it's not a big deal.

Even outside of neuro, some states require an APA Approved internship for licensure, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I know some fabulous psychologists in Oregon who are a director of an assessment clinic and fully licensed who didn’t do APPIC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool :) you should let them know that. A lot of psych programs out here don't make a big deal out of the accredited vs. non-accredited because they don't want students to feel badly if they only match to a non-accredited site.
That tells you something about the programs. I'd prefer my program be honest with me about closing the door on a huge number of jobs nationwide.

Okay, I hear you. I'm not going to get into a back and forth with a board certified neuropsychologist, lol. The reality is that some students will match to an APPIC site and not an accredited site. I am not going to make them feel crappy about it. I had friends who matched APPIC last year and they received awesome training. It's what was available to them. :censored:
That's fine, we don't need to make them feel crappy about it. But, we should be giving people currently making that decision accurate information. I'm not attacking you, merely correcting a misinterpretation of the situation.

Then why not reply directly to them earlier in the rodeo instead of skipping them and coming at me instead? :meh: We have great psych programs in NYC, but with so much competition, not everyone will match at an accredited site. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the programs ("re: that says something about the programs then"). We're all encouraged to apply to accredited sites, but you're not a poop if you have to apply to an APPIC site and that's the one you match with. :sour:

I responded to the direct quote of the inaccurate information. It's there so that people reading can see and get that information in the future, as these threads are commonly re-referenced in future application cycles. Not sure why you are making this personal, it was a simple correction of inaccurate information. Nothing more.

I responded to the direct quote of the inaccurate information. It's there so that people reading can see and get that information in the future, as these threads are commonly re-referenced in future application cycles. Not sure why you are making this personal, it was a simple correction of inaccurate information. Nothing more.

Ok. :watching:

Friends, just curious! I interviewed at the Philly VA for neuro and so did a bunch of peers from other neuro programs in the city, but their track is now in Phase II. That means none of us were ranked, correct? We all put it in our top 3 :(