Nov 8, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Did anyone rank a site they liked lower due to cost of living? A site I like is in Boston, and the cost of living with an intern's stipend freaks me out. (clearly having last minute nerves)

Dec 5, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Did anyone rank a site they liked lower due to cost of living? A site I like is in Boston, and the cost of living with an intern's stipend freaks me out. (clearly having last minute nerves)
I’m having massive last minute nervous about all my sites and am fighting the urge to re order. I say stick w your pre-nerves rank order!

NeuroJaguar

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2016
Status
Psychology Student
Oh I got it! At some places you have PTO and sick time is *unpaid*
In places I've worked, it's more like you're given X number of sick days each calendar year, vs you earn Y number of vacation hours every week and they accrue over time. So they're just different banks, but still paid.

To the rest of your points, I agree! I am having trouble understanding why interns shouldn't get sick time compared to full time staff. We are also working full time and can also get sick. Also reeks of ableism / assumption that interns will be younger and will not have any chronic conditions to manage which could require time out, either for symptom management/treatment or preventitive care. Do we just not go to the dentist for a year?! Etc. I'll stop ranting because I think I've made my point several times over by now.

Reactions: dcpsychdoc
About the Ads
Oct 4, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
In places I've worked, it's more like you're given X number of sick days each calendar year, vs you earn Y number of vacation hours every week and they accrue over time. So they're just different banks, but still paid.

To the rest of your points, I agree! I am having trouble understanding why interns shouldn't get sick time compared to full time staff. We are also working full time and can also get sick. Also reeks of ableism / assumption that interns will be younger and will not have any chronic conditions to manage which could require time out, either for symptom management/treatment or preventitive care. Do we just not go to the dentist for a year?! Etc. I'll stop ranting because I think I've made my point several times over by now.
Plus some people have kids that are sick or might have school events, etc. Are the kids supposed to manage on their own??

Haha okay I’ll put this point to rest too :p

Nov 15, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Yes, I ranked an excellent site last simply because the cost of a cross-country relocation and living in a very expensive city wouldn't be possible on the stipend. It's sad, but I refuse to acquire more debt during internship year due to cost of living, especially when there are different but good training opportunities in small and mid-sized cities. I don't want financial stress to affect my internship year.

Good luck!

Nov 8, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Yes, I ranked an excellent site last simply because the cost of a cross-country relocation and living in a very expensive city wouldn't be possible on the stipend. It's sad, but I refuse to acquire more debt during internship year due to cost of living, especially when there are different but good training opportunities in small and mid-sized cities. I don't want financial stress to affect my internship year.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! I had exactly the same thinking. Trying to get rid of student loan debt not add to it! Best of luck :)

Reactions: Toulouse
About the Ads

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Psychologist
I need to be working on my dissertation during this wait, but...zero energy or motivation. The whole internship application and interview process really took it out of me.
I actually enjoyed the application and interviewing process (way back when), but like you, I certainly felt it afterward, probably due in no small part to having driven to most of my interviews. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I gave myself a week or so "off," outside of necessary responsibilities like lab meetings and practicum work, during the downtime between ranking and matching.

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I actually enjoyed the application and interviewing process (way back when), but like you, I certainly felt it afterward, probably due in no small part to having driven to most of my interviews. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I gave myself a week or so "off," outside of necessary responsibilities like lab meetings and practicum work, during the downtime between ranking and matching.
Similar, I loved it. I drove to 2 places, flew to the rest, and skipped an open house. It was also very eye opening, some of my ranks changed considerably after being on site, so I am wholeheartedly glad that I attended in person. The process is what you make it. If you build it up to be super stressful, it'll be super stressful. If you enjoy it, it's not bad at all.

Maybe it's just us neuro folk though. We are a weird group/

Reactions: Seven_Costanza
Jun 20, 2018
Similar, I loved it. I drove to 2 places, flew to the rest, and skipped an open house. It was also very eye opening, some of my ranks changed considerably after being on site, so I am wholeheartedly glad that I attended in person. The process is what you make it. If you build it up to be super stressful, it'll be super stressful. If you enjoy it, it's not bad at all.

Maybe it's just us neuro folk though. We are a weird group/
Nah, generalist over here and really loved making the internship rounds last year. It was a mostly joyful process for me. It definitely caught up to me when it was over though. I needed about a week to gas back up after I got home.

Oct 30, 2019
Nah, generalist over here and really loved making the internship rounds last year. It was a mostly joyful process for me. It definitely caught up to me when it was over though. I needed about a week to gas back up after I got home.
I agree! It was fun. I made a micro vacation out most of the locations and really tried to make it enjoyable. The process completely ruined my routine so it’s been a struggle getting back into it. The anticipation of waiting makes it worse.

iliketohelppeople

5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Agree. It was a fun time - filled with possibilities! Drove to three, and flew to two others - took an extended vacation on the last flight and did lots of exploring in a cool place. I also liked getting to see good work that was being done in different places (as well as get to know what settings I may not be as satisfied in)!

Reactions: healthyu

modestmousktr

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status
This is validating! Thank you everyone!

I have my dissertation analyses, the class I TA two sections for, program evaluation work for my research assistantship, MULTIPLE hobbies where i can’t access a clock or calendar, a partner, a dog, and a vacation starting in about 5 minutes and I am STILL impatient/bored/dragging. AGHH!!!!

THE CLOSER IT GETS THE SLOWER TIME MOVES! Every moment that i am not distracted by one of the above things, I am checking the date if i could just not, that would be great.

About the Ads
Oct 28, 2019
Status
DO/PhD Student
This is validating! Thank you everyone!

I have my dissertation analyses, the class I TA two sections for, program evaluation work for my research assistantship, MULTIPLE hobbies where i can’t access a clock or calendar, a partner, a dog, and a vacation starting in about 5 minutes and I am STILL impatient/bored/dragging. AGHH!!!!

THE CLOSER IT GETS THE SLOWER TIME MOVES! Every moment that i am not distracted by one of the above things, I am checking the date if i could just not, that would be great.
THIS! SAME. In a total time warp!

Reactions: modestmousktr
Nov 15, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
Maybe I'm still recovering from all the driving! I spent 3 weeks straight on the road, driving to all my interviews (couldn't afford flights). So I essentially alternated full-day interviews with long drive days. And due to my interview schedule and horrible weather (heavy rains, hail, tornados, and a 12-hour drive in an ice storm!), I wasn't able make a vacation out of it.

I really enjoyed the actual interview days and had great experiences at all the sites. But the time-consuming nature and financial stress of the whole process has been very real. My body just crashed when I got home. Hopefully match day will give me a new burst of energy!

LadyEmmaPeel

PsyD Doctoral Candidate - Clinical Psychology
Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Are. We. There. YET? BTW, miss ya'll and hope you're hanging in there :) I started the Lord of the Rings series this morning to stay busy and I haven't slept a wink, so...guess I should get on that. I'm starting to see carebears in the walls. #sleepdepisreal

:sleep:

psycho1391

Clinical Psychology Ph.D. Candidate
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2014
Status
Psychology Student
Are. We. There. YET? BTW, miss ya'll and hope you're hanging in there :) I started the Lord of the Rings series this morning to stay busy and I haven't slept a wink, so...guess I should get on that. I'm starting to see carebears in the walls. #sleepdepisreal

:sleep:
Speaking of sleep, I am not sure I'll even be able to get sleep Thursday night....

Nov 29, 2018
Last year on match day, i slept maybe 3 hours the night before, i went to a gym class that morning that started at 545am, and i had scheduled a therapy appointment to either celebrate or cry profusely (For me, i didnt match, so i cried profusely). I highly recommend taking the day off, schedule self care, and plan something for the weekend. Partner and i went to a beach town for the weekend and i just cried and ate all the cheesy carbs. It was very cathartic!

About the Ads

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
Last year on match day, i slept maybe 3 hours the night before, i went to a gym class that morning that started at 545am, and i had scheduled a therapy appointment to either celebrate or cry profusely (For me, i didnt match, so i cried profusely). I highly recommend taking the day off, schedule self care, and plan something for the weekend. Partner and i went to a beach town for the weekend and i just cried and ate all the cheesy carbs. It was very cathartic!
Oh my gosh! Thank you for your helpful ideas and for sharing your experience. I saw you matched in Phase II though, which is awesome. How has your experience been in internship? Was going through phase II okay?
:shy:

Nov 29, 2018
Oh my gosh! Thank you for your helpful ideas and for sharing your experience. I saw you matched in Phase II though, which is awesome. How has your experience been in internship? Was going through phase II okay?
:shy:
It was! I mean, obviously it sucks overall bc you basically have a limited amount of time to do as much as you possibly can (I did 13 skype interviews in 5 days). That said, I LOVE my site and i am so so happy I am here. There were a lot of really awesome sites available in phase II. In phase I had focused on the east coast and in phase II I opened it up to Midwest and west coast. Looking back now it was really no big deal. In the moment holy eff I was a wreck hahah.

psycho1391

Clinical Psychology Ph.D. Candidate
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2014
Status
Psychology Student
I have a gym session scheduled at 545am and a hair appointment in the afternoon. My in-laws are visiting this weekend as well.

Dec 10, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
I have two patients and mandatory didactics since I'm on a grant. I totally wish I could take the day off! :(

LadyEmmaPeel

Dec 13, 2019
New York City
Status
Psychology Student
I have a gym session scheduled at 545am and a hair appointment in the afternoon. My in-laws are visiting this weekend as well.
5 mins post-match...LOL... 16107290-7252123-image-a-72_1563273140335.jpg

AllTheFeels

2+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2017
Status
Psychologist
I second having the day off if you can. It is a huge day no matter what the outcome of the match is. Take time to take care of yourself!

Jul 18, 2019
Status
Psychology Student
The only thing I've been able to accomplish is cleaning ...
so much for dissertation anything. Everything in life feels like it is on hold until after Friday morning....
Same here. I am cleaning out my SPAM folder and noticed some sites emailed me regarding my rank status. Luckily they were to let me know that I will be ranked by the site lol.

Dec 3, 2019
California
Status
Psychology Student
Does anybody know if a 2020 Phase II thread has been created...I would like to start one for those of us who will begin the next phase of this process but wasn't sure if someone else had or not?!

About the Ads