APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is validating! Thank you everyone!

I have my dissertation analyses, the class I TA two sections for, program evaluation work for my research assistantship, MULTIPLE hobbies where i can’t access a clock or calendar, a partner, a dog, and a vacation starting in about 5 minutes and I am STILL impatient/bored/dragging. AGHH!!!!

THE CLOSER IT GETS THE SLOWER TIME MOVES! Every moment that i am not distracted by one of the above things, I am checking the date if i could just not, that would be great.

THIS! SAME. In a total time warp!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually enjoyed the application and interviewing process (way back when), but like you, I certainly felt it afterward, probably due in no small part to having driven to most of my interviews. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I gave myself a week or so "off," outside of necessary responsibilities like lab meetings and practicum work, during the downtime between ranking and matching.

Maybe I'm still recovering from all the driving! I spent 3 weeks straight on the road, driving to all my interviews (couldn't afford flights). So I essentially alternated full-day interviews with long drive days. And due to my interview schedule and horrible weather (heavy rains, hail, tornados, and a 12-hour drive in an ice storm!), I wasn't able make a vacation out of it.

I really enjoyed the actual interview days and had great experiences at all the sites. But the time-consuming nature and financial stress of the whole process has been very real. My body just crashed when I got home. Hopefully match day will give me a new burst of energy!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy Match Week! Just a few more days. We have this.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
The excitement is at an all time high. May force be with you!!

• Love
Are. We. There. YET? BTW, miss ya'll and hope you're hanging in there :) I started the Lord of the Rings series this morning to stay busy and I haven't slept a wink, so...guess I should get on that. I'm starting to see carebears in the walls. #sleepdepisreal

:sleep:

Reactions: 4 users
Are. We. There. YET? BTW, miss ya'll and hope you're hanging in there :) I started the Lord of the Rings series this morning to stay busy and I haven't slept a wink, so...guess I should get on that. I'm starting to see carebears in the walls. #sleepdepisreal

:sleep:
Speaking of sleep, I am not sure I'll even be able to get sleep Thursday night....

Last year on match day, i slept maybe 3 hours the night before, i went to a gym class that morning that started at 545am, and i had scheduled a therapy appointment to either celebrate or cry profusely (For me, i didnt match, so i cried profusely). I highly recommend taking the day off, schedule self care, and plan something for the weekend. Partner and i went to a beach town for the weekend and i just cried and ate all the cheesy carbs. It was very cathartic!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Last year on match day, i slept maybe 3 hours the night before, i went to a gym class that morning that started at 545am, and i had scheduled a therapy appointment to either celebrate or cry profusely (For me, i didnt match, so i cried profusely). I highly recommend taking the day off, schedule self care, and plan something for the weekend. Partner and i went to a beach town for the weekend and i just cried and ate all the cheesy carbs. It was very cathartic!

Oh my gosh! Thank you for your helpful ideas and for sharing your experience. I saw you matched in Phase II though, which is awesome. How has your experience been in internship? Was going through phase II okay?
:shy:

Oh my gosh! Thank you for your helpful ideas and for sharing your experience. I saw you matched in Phase II though, which is awesome. How has your experience been in internship? Was going through phase II okay?
:shy:
It was! I mean, obviously it sucks overall bc you basically have a limited amount of time to do as much as you possibly can (I did 13 skype interviews in 5 days). That said, I LOVE my site and i am so so happy I am here. There were a lot of really awesome sites available in phase II. In phase I had focused on the east coast and in phase II I opened it up to Midwest and west coast. Looking back now it was really no big deal. In the moment holy eff I was a wreck hahah.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
giphy.gif

Currently impulse shopping to cope with all the stress waiting

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a gym session scheduled at 545am and a hair appointment in the afternoon. My in-laws are visiting this weekend as well.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I have two patients and mandatory didactics since I'm on a grant. I totally wish I could take the day off! :(

• Sad
  • Angry

I second having the day off if you can. It is a huge day no matter what the outcome of the match is. Take time to take care of yourself!

Reactions: 2 users
No one size fits all way to handle match day. I will say, how you set the day up and the expectations you set, will largely determine the level of stress. If you build it up to be this huge thing, it will be. If you approach it just like any other day, it will be.

Reactions: 6 users
Match Day feelings

Attachments

• 591EC1D5-5CD4-4576-8BBE-0FAA64569772.jpeg
    591EC1D5-5CD4-4576-8BBE-0FAA64569772.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Haha
82F2901C-2C53-45E5-80D9-661766DF2EF1.jpeg
I know it’s not been 23 days but this is how I feel right now

• Love
  • Haha
~45 hours to go! How is everyone holding up? :soexcited:

~45 hours to go! How is everyone holding up? :soexcited:
The only thing I've been able to accomplish is cleaning ...
so much for dissertation anything. Everything in life feels like it is on hold until after Friday morning....

so much for dissertation anything. Everything in life feels like it is on hold until after Friday morning....

Same here. I am cleaning out my SPAM folder and noticed some sites emailed me regarding my rank status. Luckily they were to let me know that I will be ranked by the site lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody know if a 2020 Phase II thread has been created...I would like to start one for those of us who will begin the next phase of this process but wasn't sure if someone else had or not?!

Does anybody know if a 2020 Phase II thread has been created...I would like to start one for those of us who will begin the next phase of this process but wasn't sure if someone else had or not?!
I dont think so so feel free!

Dissertation chair sent me back edits for IRB submission. Yea, issa no for me dog on gettin them back anytime before Friday. lol

The whole application process took the life out of me. I haven't been able to be extremely productive outside of the necessity to function as a graduate student. I'm rather excited to finally know where I'll be and no longer be in limbo. I think once Match Day comes it'll be a relief to not feel like I'm holding my breath for something and can focus on finishing out the semester, practicum, and dissertation stuff. Meh.

Reactions: 11 users
What I’ve learned in the time since I ranked:
I would have failed that marshmallow test.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
So what is the protocol on match day? Do people say on the message board where they match/if they match?

The whole application process took the life out of me. I haven't been able to be extremely productive outside of the necessity to function as a graduate student. I'm rather excited to finally know where I'll be and no longer be in limbo. I think once Match Day comes it'll be a relief to not feel like I'm holding my breath for something and can focus on finishing out the semester, practicum, and dissertation stuff. Meh.

meh.

So what is the protocol on match day? Do people say on the message board where they match/if they match?
It’s different for every APPIC match thread. Some people just post match versus no match. Others do the rank of the match. Some post the name of the site but it’s less likely because anonymity.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year someone referred to the day before match day as "Christmas Eve from hell", which sounds about right.
one eternity.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I have started a thread for those of us in Phase II...if anyone who successfully matches in phase I would like to contribute information about sites in where they have interviewed that would be greatly appreciated! In not being able to interview in person at most phase II sites any information or support would be great! APPIC Internship Phase II 2020

I think it’s nice that if a site doesn’t fill up all its spots in round 1, they are required to offer those spots in round 2

Reactions: 1 users
I have started a thread for those of us in Phase II...if anyone who successfully matches in phase I would like to contribute information about sites in where they have interviewed that would be greatly appreciated! In not being able to interview in person at most phase II sites any information or support would be great! APPIC Internship Phase II 2020

how do you already know that you’re in phase II?

I thought I was going to get work done today. HA :laugh: I've been staring at my computer for the past three hours and have resigned to watching trashy TV instead. Self-care.

Sending good vibes everyone's way!

• Love
I thought I was going to get work done today. HA :laugh: I've been staring at my computer for the past three hours and have resigned to watching trashy TV instead. Self-care.

Sending good vibes everyone's way!
I feel this on a spiritual level! I have done a lot of cleaning and am now about to embark on a Lord of The Rings movie marathon to try to keep my mind off of the time! I hope everyone can get some sleep tonight and good luck tomorrow!!!

• Love
Just an FYI, in case it’s helpful to anybody, I received my email last year at exactly 7:54am EST.

Good luck to all of you! Rooting for you! And remember, there are always some excellent sites available in Phase II and post-match. I’ve known folks who ended up having to do both and were thrilled with their internship training. Both also obtained *very* prestigious postdocs the following year.

Just an FYI, in case it’s helpful to anybody, I received my email last year at exactly 7:54am EST.

Good luck to all of you! Rooting for you! And remember, there are always some excellent sites available in Phase II and post-match. I’ve known folks who ended up having to do both and were thrilled with their internship training. Both also obtained *very* prestigious postdocs the following year.
I had two close friends participate last year - one was notified at 7:51 EST and one about a half hour earlier. Based on all of this, it sounds like we can expect emails to go out in a somewhat rolling fashion (that is, some of us will hear before others) and that emails are likely to start close to/around 7:30 EST.

I've noticed that the emails all say between 8-9 AM...but that people have heard earlier in the past. Was curious if the 8 AM part is new (and so I can take it seriously and not start checking my email until 8) or they always say that and it still is earlier. Anyone from another year able to say? Before 9 is different than between 8 and 9!

I've noticed that the emails all say between 8-9 AM...but that people have heard earlier in the past. Was curious if the 8 AM part is new (and so I can take it seriously and not start checking my email until 8) or they always say that and it still is earlier. Anyone from another year able to say? Before 9 is different than between 8 and 9!
My understanding is they have for at least the last 2 years (the only times I've personally had friends in the match) said between 8 and 9 and it's just been earlier than that. I could totally be wrong, though.

Anybody know why everyone gets the email at different times? Does this mean anything?

I had two close friends participate last year - one was notified at 7:51 EST and one about a half hour earlier. Based on all of this, it sounds like we can expect emails to go out in a somewhat rolling fashion (that is, some of us will hear before others) and that emails are likely to start close to/around 7:30 EST.