APPIC Internship Phase II Interview & Support Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I couldn't resist looking at previous phase 2 threads on here....... aaaaand I was really surprised by the amount of people saying they only ranked one or two sites. I'm curious how many y'all are planning on ranking? I interviewed at 11 sites and plan to rank all of them. At this point I just hope I match. I know that I can survive a year anywhere and tbh none of the sites had any *noticeable* red flags (although, it is pretty hard to assess from such short interviews conducted by 1-4 staff members). Thoughts? Amounts? If you did rank only 2 what was the logic behind doing so?

During phase 1 I overanalyzed my rankings because I genuinely thought I would get my 1st choice (or at least top 3). Now, I kind of just assume my top 6 are longshots and have been contemplating whether I would be low-key disappointed if I got my 7th vs 8th ranked sites. For context purposes, I liked both, but one is not accredited (site visit scheduled for summer, self study completed.. seems likely) and has a really high cost of living, especially when I factor in childcare while the other is in rural Illinois and I can't help but think that I would likely feel pretty lonely and struggle to meet people. I will be moving far from any supports regardless of site (ranging from 8.5 hours to 20 hours away from my address). I think I can welcome that as a new adventure. Single parent problems on top of all the stress that we know comes with internship matching, let alone phase 2 stress.

Ahhh we're almost done with phase 2 - now just to anxiously await the results ;) ! Putting good vibes out there for everyone. This process has been incredibly taxing. Thank you for providing support throughout this <3.... Also, whoever made that excel sheet should ABSOLUTELY get their first choice based solely on organization skills alone haha I greatly appreciated it.
I am in Canada so the landscape is a bit different in terms of number of sites and positions available. If I remember correctly, there were seven accredited sites with openings in Phase 2. I applied to five of them, received two interviews, and ranked both of those places. Good luck to you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I couldn't resist looking at previous phase 2 threads on here....... aaaaand I was really surprised by the amount of people saying they only ranked one or two sites. I'm curious how many y'all are planning on ranking? I interviewed at 11 sites and plan to rank all of them. At this point I just hope I match. I know that I can survive a year anywhere and tbh none of the sites had any *noticeable* red flags (although, it is pretty hard to assess from such short interviews conducted by 1-4 staff members). Thoughts? Amounts? If you did rank only 2 what was the logic behind doing so?

During phase 1 I overanalyzed my rankings because I genuinely thought I would get my 1st choice (or at least top 3). Now, I kind of just assume my top 6 are longshots and have been contemplating whether I would be low-key disappointed if I got my 7th vs 8th ranked sites. For context purposes, I liked both, but one is not accredited (site visit scheduled for summer, self study completed.. seems likely) and has a really high cost of living, especially when I factor in childcare while the other is in rural Illinois and I can't help but think that I would likely feel pretty lonely and struggle to meet people. I will be moving far from any supports regardless of site (ranging from 8.5 hours to 20 hours away from my address). I think I can welcome that as a new adventure. Single parent problems on top of all the stress that we know comes with internship matching, let alone phase 2 stress.

Ahhh we're almost done with phase 2 - now just to anxiously await the results ;) ! Putting good vibes out there for everyone. This process has been incredibly taxing. Thank you for providing support throughout this <3.... Also, whoever made that excel sheet should ABSOLUTELY get their first choice based solely on organization skills alone haha I greatly appreciated it.

I interviewed at 11 and ranked 10. All of my sites would require a big move too, so I'm right there with you. I give you lots of extra credit for getting through this with the added stress of being a parent. I hope you end up somewhere that's a great fit for your interests and a reasonable move!

Good luck y'all🤗

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck on the match, everyone! Hope we all get matched to a site we love! Wishing you blessings and good self-care this weekend as we anxiously wait for Monday morning. Cheers, Debbie

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I matched to my number #1. Thank you all for the support. Good luck on your future endeavors!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone!

What a surprise that we got our match results early! I am excited to share that I did match to the National Psychology Training Consortium Riggs Community Health Center in Lafayette Indiana, part of the National Psychology Training Consortium Great Lakes, which serves Indiana. I am in the About Indiana integrated healthcare grant program so I am excited that I am going to receive specialized training in integrated care. I would love to connect with any of you who have been matched to the National Psychology Training Consortium whether you have been matched to traditional internship or the About Indiana integrated care internship because even though we won't be at the same site, we will all be in Logansport Indiana every month for training and I would love to get to know you. I have never been to Indiana before. What an adventure!

For those of you who matched, which I hope is all of you, congratulations!!! If any of you didn't match, I am so sorry to hear that and please remember that it is not a reflection on you. This internship round was super competitive, the most competitive since 2015, and if I wasn't super flexible about geography, I wouldn't have matched either. While I am super excited about my internship placement, I am also a weather wimp from California and did not get accepted into any California sites. If you didn't match, feel free to reach out if you would like support or help preparing for Post Match Vacancy Service.

Warmly,
Debbie

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I matched to Southwest Behavioral & Health in Maricopa County! I am excited to be moving to sunny Phoenix. It will be a nice change from the rural Appalachian area I've been in for grad school.

Very grateful to this platform. IDK if I would've successfully matched at all without the advice, support, and encouragement I've gotten from this thread and those from years' past!

Reactions: 6 users
Matched to WellSpan Philhaven CBT ! Congratulations for those who matched during phase 2. For those who did not, remember this process is most definitely not a reflection of your skills, work, or abilities. This entire process can be so disheartening and anxiety provoking. Wishing everyone the best for pmvs and that all works out. Would love to hear from anyone who also matched at Wellspan :)

Last edited:
Congratulations to all who matched! I didn't match and I am in Canada, so very limited options for PMVS (just six positions unfilled after Phase 2). I am so disappointed and actually shocked. I felt like my interviews this round went very well and got great feedback from one interviewer. Now I am considering applying again in the fall or trying to create a self-directed unaccredited internship. Bleh. :(

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to all who matched! I didn't match and I am in Canada, so very limited options for PMVS (just six positions unfilled after Phase 2). I am so disappointed and actually shocked. I felt like my interviews this round went very well and got great feedback from one interviewer. Now I am considering applying again in the fall or trying to create a self-directed unaccredited internship. Bleh. :(
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't match. It is not a reflection on you; internship sites are so limited this year especially in Canada. Are you allowed to come to the US for internship? I know we aren't allowed to come to Canada unless we already have a visa so if that is the case for you, I am sorry that this limits your options so much.

I am so sorry to hear that you didn't match. It is not a reflection on you; internship sites are so limited this year especially in Canada. Are you allowed to come to the US for internship? I know we aren't allowed to come to Canada unless we already have a visa so if that is the case for you, I am sorry that this limits your options so much.
Thank you! No, my program doesn't support us applying to US sites because of issues crossing the border in recent years.

• Care
Congratulations to everyone who matched! To everyone who didn’t match, I hope you have all the support you need and if you don’t, please reach out via DM or on here. We all deserve the biggest hugs.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat as you...so sorry you are going thru the same thing. It's so incredibly tough. Sending positive vibes your way.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the same boat as you...so sorry you are going thru the same thing. It's so incredibly tough. Sending positive vibes your way.
It’s sucky, eh? I’m sorry you didn’t match either. Are you in Canada as well? I saw there is a pediatric neuro in London on the PMVS!

It’s sucky, eh? I’m sorry you didn’t match either. Are you in Canada as well? I saw there is a pediatric neuro in London on the PMVS!
I'm not, but I did see that! Not sure if I'll be able able to apply given I live in the US, but if possible, probably will.

Hey yall. I wanted to share this post match vacancy position for an unaccredited site in Huntington, WV. I'm currently working there and have really valued my training as a practicum student. While I know how unappealing an unaccredited site can be, I do think this site has a lot to offer and could get accredited if they could meet the requirements needed for that process (something along the lines of two years with two positions filled). The Stipend is 28k which is more than enough for the area. I figured it couldn't hurt to drop a line about the site in case anyone is interested! I wish you all the best of luck and am available if you need any support.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to pop in and say that I did not match last year and waited until this past fall to reapply. I matched with my top choice at an extremely competitive child site in NYC. I also happened to meet my partner in my current city, which I never would have if I had decided to go with a PMV site in another state that met none of my training goals. There is no right/wrong way to approach not matching, but just wanted to say I am so grateful I waited. Feel free to PM if you’d like

Reactions: 3 users