APPIC Internship Phase II Interview & Support Thread (2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha honestly at this point I just want to match so I can graduate 🥴

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Sending a lot of support to you all- how many sites are ppl applying too?
I feel so burnt out by this process and just sent out 8- debating if I should do two more
I am applying to 22. This is my second year in phase II (having not matched last year) and I am just ready to be done with grad school (and done accruing student loan debt).

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone submit any supplemental materials? I haven't because the Phase II Getting Started Guide specifically stated "you should NOT submit any supplemental materials," but I'm starting to worry that some training directors might overlook this guidance and then think that I didn't read their application requirements closely. I'm probably just worrying to worry at this point o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone submit any supplemental materials? I haven't because the Phase II Getting Started Guide specifically stated "you should NOT submit any supplemental materials," but I'm starting to worry that some training directors might overlook this guidance and then think that I didn't read their application requirements closely. I'm probably just worrying to worry at this point o_O
I did not

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't.

According to the APPIC Frequently Asked Questions for applicants (question #10) even if a site's application instructions from Phase I instruct us to do so, we should not submit any supplemental materials, and sites have been told that applications in Phase II will not include any supplemental materials. So, they can't actually think that you didn't read the requirements.

Even if you did. I highly doubt that would be a deal breaker if you have a strong application otherwise. Especially in phase ii. But who knows.

Hey everyone! Sending a lot of support to you all- how many sites are ppl applying too?
I feel so burnt out by this process and just sent out 8- debating if I should do two more
I applied to 11. Hope everyone here gets Matched this time around! Hang in there y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed with the above--sites shouldn't be asking for supplemental materials in Phase II, and I would hope wouldn't hold it against any applicants who didn't submit supplemental materials even if they were requested (or if the site didn't update their reqs after Phase I).

Best of luck, everyone. Having participated in multiple Phase II sessions in prior years "on the other side," I know how stressful it can be.

• Care
Anyone know how soon we should be hearing back from sites about interviews? (The anxiety of phase 2 I finally starting to get to me haha)

Anyone know how soon we should be hearing back from sites about interviews? (The anxiety of phase 2 I finally starting to get to me haha)
My site isn’t in Phase 2 so I don’t know the exact timelines for this cycle but in the past, applications were reviewed super quickly (sometimes just the TD and one or two other people instead of a whole committee and waiting on stragglers) and decisions to extend interviews were much more streamlined.

Reactions: 3 users
I've seen some old threads about Phase II and seems like people hear back as quickly as the day of the phase II deadline sometimes!

Last edited:
Did anyone just get the email from Rocky Mountain VA and have a heart attack?! The update is very thoughtful of them but I thought it was already a rejection!

• Wow
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to drop the google doc (click here) in this thread where we can start adding in phase 2 interview/rejection notifications. It's the same doc from phase 1, I just added a tab for Phase 2. Best of luck to everyone!

How's everyone doing? I've been incredibly anxious since Thursday and trying to practice a bit of self-care over the weekend. Sending everyone my best wishes in this process and a lot of patience for all! ✨

• Care
How's everyone doing? I've been incredibly anxious since Thursday and trying to practice a bit of self-care over the weekend. Sending everyone my best wishes in this process and a lot of patience for all! ✨
Refreshing email every hour or so :lol: but yes definitely lots of self-care going on here too, watching my fav British murder mysteries in this cold weather has been so nice. All the best to you too! Let's get Matched!!! 👊

• Care
I was in Phase II last year and based on my experience some sites respond very quickly (like a couple days after you apply) and others take forever. I heard back from two sites just days before rank lists were due and was asked to interview the following day.

If anyone is having a hard time send me a PM, I know this process sucks.

• Care
I am applying to 22. This is my second year in phase II (having not matched last year) and I am just ready to be done with grad school (and done accruing student loan debt).
im rooting for you!!! just remember this will all pay off! I used to work part time for a psychologist who ran a thriving practice and didn't match until his third year of trying and is so so so successful and personable

Wanted to drop the google doc (click here) in this thread where we can start adding in phase 2 interview/rejection notifications. It's the same doc from phase 1, I just added a tab for Phase 2. Best of luck to everyone!
thank you!!

Are people being open to unaccredited sites? what is the down side long term?

Are people being open to unaccredited sites? what is the down side long term?
Many agency jobs (hospitals, prisons, VAs, DoD, etc) require an accredited internship so you will be automatically screened out as this is a firm requirement and there is no way to remedy this in the future. I also imagine board certification may have barriers or potentially be unavailable. Some formal postdocs may require an accredited internship.

I’m early career in the VA and know a bunch of mid to later career folks who left private practice for VA jobs for the benefits and stability. I doubt many of them thought that’s where they would end up but an unaccredited internship would have closed that door.

Accredited internship also helps with licensure since they are meeting a bare minimum standard for training. Look up states you may want to license in and whether they require one or what the additional process is for individuals with unaccredited internships.

Essentially, unless you’re 99% sure you can still get licensed easily and will almost certainly remain in private practice type roles, there are lots of potential downsides to future flexibility.

Last edited:
Many agency jobs (hospitals, prisons, VAs, DoD, etc) require an accredited internship so you will be automatically screened out as this is a firm requirement and there is no way to remedy this in the future. I also imagine board certification may have barriers or potentially be unavailable. Some formal postdocs may require an accredited internship.

I’m early career in the VA and know a bunch of mid to later career folks who left private practice for VA jobs for the benefits and stability. I doubt many of them thought that’s where they would end up but an unaccredited internship would have closed that door.

Accredited internship also helps with licensure since they are meeting a bare minimum standard for training. Look up states you may want to license in and whether they require one or what the additional process is for individuals with unaccredited internships.

Essentially, unless you’re 99% sure you can still get licensed easily and will almost certainly remain in private practice type roles, there are lots of potential downsides to future flexibility.
ugh the site that was not accredited looks rly good but this scares as me....

I was in Phase II last year and based on my experience some sites respond very quickly (like a couple days after you apply) and others take forever. I heard back from two sites just days before rank lists were due and was asked to interview the following day.

If anyone is having a hard time send me a PM, I know this process sucks.
I'm definitely having a hard time!

• Care
does anyone else feel like they were a perfect fit for a site based on past clinical experiences/future professional goals and not get an interview? 🙃 confused

does anyone else feel like they were a perfect fit for a site based on past clinical experiences/future professional goals and not get an interview? 🙃 confused

🙋‍♀️

Internship selection is an imperfect process. Many times sites just don’t have the time to interview everyone who is qualified and a good fit. I had the same thing happen last year about a potential awesome internship site fit not interviewing me. Re-applied this year for their postdoc, and matched to it in the APPCN neuropsych match. A rejection for internship doesn’t mean it still can’t be a great option down the road, as frustrating and confusing as it is in the present.

• Care
As mentioned, it can be a tough call when there are limited interview spots. Some sites, even if they are recruiting for specialty tracks, actually prefer applicants with more generalist training because of the varied training responsibilities interns have. I know some supervisors also wouldn't interview applicants when they don't think the applicants would come (which is weird because the applicants applied). These are a couple of examples out of endless possibilities. There are just a lot of reasons behind the scene that you would never find out so remember internship is only part of your training and there will always be a lot of other opportunities for postdoc. Good luck!

I'm quite surprised at that UNC Chapel Hill spot that's open. That's been a fun program to observe from afar in past few years and have only heard good things about the clinical folks and the services/program generally.
they won't

Internship selection is an imperfect process. Many times sites just don’t have the time to interview everyone who is qualified and a good fit. I had the same thing happen last year about a potential awesome internship site fit not interviewing me. Re-applied this year for their postdoc, and matched to it in the APPCN neuropsych match. A rejection for internship doesn’t mean it still can’t be a great option down the road, as frustrating and confusing as it is in the present.
second this. Had a v similar experience. Was super bummed about the internship, and elated at the postdoc position the following year that led to the job I now have.

Hmm I wonder how many interviews sites offer in phase 2

For those who had interviews this week, how are they going? had my first recently and I'm not sure how to start describing how I feel about it.

• Care
For those who had interviews this week, how are they going? had my first recently and I'm not sure how to start describing how I feel about it.
haha I felt this. My first one was...intense I would say. Question after question. Could not tell how it went at all tbh.

• Care
haha I felt this. My first one was...intense I would say. Question after question. Could not tell how it went at all tbh.
I feel you. Had my first one this week too and it was so intense and fast. Not what I was expecting at all. I don't know how it went, I think my answers were good...but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the process so we'll have to wait and see what happens! 🤞🤞🤞

• Care
Good Luck for those of you in Phase 2 Match today.

• Care
I didn’t get to hop on earlier but I hope you got great matches and are out celebrating! If not, I see there are still some accredited spots left in the PMVS!

Congrats to all who matched in Phase II!

I am one of the unfortunate ones who didn't match. I am honestly in shock as one training director told me that they planned to rank me and I was "a strong prospective intern", I had 7 interviews in Phase II, and majority of the sites told me they were ranking me. I honestly didn't expect to end up here as a PhD Clinical Psychology student. Any one here know anything about PMVS? So defeated right now and honestly think something is terribly wrong with me.

Is it worth going through PMVS? Should I even consider non-accredited sites? Do I stay on another year? I'm not sure if child sites are more competitive than general/adult ones? Honestly don't know what went wrong here I thought I had a strong application and interviews in Phase II.

• Care
I'm not sure if child sites are more competitive than general/adult ones?
So sorry that Phase 2 didn't work out. I'm an adult person but child sites are generally waaaay more competitive due to pure supply and demand issues and not necessarily because a site is especially amazing or your application was lacking. Some really solid clinical psych programs aren't able to maintain a perfect internship match rate and I would bet it's due to otherwise solid students not matching to child sites, whereas the equivalent adult credentials combined with lack of geographic restriction would see those people matching easily in Phase I.
Should I even consider non-accredited sites?
If you do, you'll be shut out from many agency and hospital based jobs that require an accredited internship, as well as postdocs, board certifications, etc. And there may be more hoops to jump through for licensure based on your state. I would personally try to stay away but another year of school is tough.
Do I stay on another year?
Would you have funding? It's dumb to make guarantees but if you're coming from a PhD program (especially a funded university based one), can get another year worth of hours including more child experience, and make steady progress on your dissertation (possibly even on track to defend before starting internship or early on), I think you'd be much more competitive next year and could have a great chance of matching at sites where you may not have landed an interview for Phase I, which would be really important given the lack of child spots.

This is a tough pill to swallow but definitely talk to your TD and maybe reach out to some older/former child track folks in your program if you think they can be helpful. Good luck!

• Care
So sorry that Phase 2 didn't work out. I'm an adult person but child sites are generally waaaay more competitive due to pure supply and demand issues and not necessarily because a site is especially amazing or your application was lacking. Some really solid clinical psych programs aren't able to maintain a perfect internship match rate and I would bet it's due to otherwise solid students not matching to child sites, whereas the equivalent adult credentials combined with lack of geographic restriction would see those people matching easily in Phase I.

If you do, you'll be shut out from many agency and hospital based jobs that require an accredited internship, as well as postdocs, board certifications, etc. And there may be more hoops to jump through for licensure based on your state. I would personally try to stay away but another year of school is tough.

Would you have funding? It's dumb to make guarantees but if you're coming from a PhD program (especially a funded university based one), can get another year worth of hours including more child experience, and make steady progress on your dissertation (possibly even on track to defend before starting internship or early on), I think you'd be much more competitive next year and could have a great chance of matching at sites where you may not have landed an interview for Phase I, which would be really important given the lack of child spots.

This is a tough pill to swallow but definitely talk to your TD and maybe reach out to some older/former child track folks in your program if you think they can be helpful. Good luck!
Thanks so much for all that information! I really didn't expect it to be so much more competitive for child sites :( Would you recommend applying to general tracks instead of solely child ones?

I may have to swallow this difficult pill - I probably can get funding but I really want to get out of my program as it has been an extremely toxic and abusive environment with no care or concern for student welfare at all. So this is especially hard.

I really didn't expect it to be so much more competitive for child sites :(
Again, I'm a 100% adult person so I could be wrong but you're competing with both other clinical psych students who want child psych internships and also against school psych students, especially for testing heavy positions, against an already smaller pool of sites.
Would you recommend applying to general tracks instead of solely child ones?
This is gonna be a really personal decision and since I'm totally unfamiliar with typical child psych career paths, you'd likely benefit from some solid but blunt mentoring regarding whether doing an adult internship would/could negatively impact future career prospects (e.g., CV doesn't look right).

Even if this isn't the case, how much competency-based training you'd be missing out on? If you don't think somebody in your program can provide this type of guidance, you could reach out into any of your professional networks to help guide your decision.
but I really want to get out of my program as it has been an extremely toxic and abusive environment with no care or concern for student welfare at all.
That sucks. From my limited experience observing students who either wanted to or needed to take an 'extra' year, that final year was much more hands-off and less program centered since they were likely done with classes and many other requirements so they could load up on some P/F research credits to remain F/T while more independently working on dissertation, go to their prac, and work their RA/TA/assistantship and thus stay more off the radar than in earlier years. But your mileage will obviously vary.

Again, I'm a 100% adult person so I could be wrong but you're competing with both other clinical psych students who want child psych internships and also against school psych students, especially for testing heavy positions, against an already smaller pool of sites.

This is gonna be a really personal decision and since I'm totally unfamiliar with typical child psych career paths, you'd likely benefit from some solid but blunt mentoring regarding whether doing an adult internship would/could negatively impact future career prospects (e.g., CV doesn't look right).

Even if this isn't the case, how much competency-based training you'd be missing out on? If you don't think somebody in your program can provide this type of guidance, you could reach out into any of your professional networks to help guide your decision.

That sucks. From my limited experience observing students who either wanted to or needed to take an 'extra' year, that final year was much more hands-off and less program centered since they were likely done with classes and many other requirements so they could load up on some P/F research credits to remain F/T while more independently working on dissertation, go to their prac, and work their RA/TA/assistantship and thus stay more off the radar than in earlier years. But your mileage will obviously vary.
Thanks again for all the info! My program is so unsupportive - I am reaching out to my professional network for more guidance.
Anyone here know about how creating your own internship experiences works? I've heard of some students who got an internship outside the Match using their own networks or created their own experiences. I am wondering about accreditation in those scenarios. I am thinking of one place in my metro area that I could reach out to and they are APPIC accredited but couldn't take a cohort of interns this year (last minute withdrawal from Phase I before rankings were due) but possibly could take on 1 intern.

Thanks again for all the info! My program is so unsupportive - I am reaching out to my professional network for more guidance.
Anyone here know about how creating your own internship experiences works? I've heard of some students who got an internship outside the Match using their own networks or created their own experiences. I am wondering about accreditation in those scenarios. I am thinking of one place in my metro area that I could reach out to and they are APPIC accredited but couldn't take a cohort of interns this year (last minute withdrawal from Phase I before rankings were due) but possibly could take on 1 intern.

Please be advised that APPIC accredited does not equal APA accredited. Having the former, but not the latter, will lock you out of a LOT of job opportunities in your career.

Thanks so much for all that information! I really didn't expect it to be so much more competitive for child sites :( Would you recommend applying to general tracks instead of solely child ones?

I may have to swallow this difficult pill - I probably can get funding but I really want to get out of my program as it has been an extremely toxic and abusive environment with no care or concern for student welfare at all. So this is especially hard.
I am technically child-track but applied to a number of generalist programs (including VAs) and matched at a site that is heavily adult focused (with opportunities to work with kids as an option, should there be cases available). As long as this wouldn’t lock you out of your dream job, and you have enough supervised experience with adults to be a good fit, it could be an option. Some sites that are adult focused may have overlapping areas of interest (autism, health psych, etc) that could still help you reach your professional development goals. For me, I saw many paths leading to where I want to go, and my number one goal was to just move forward. Hope you get helpful information from your contacts!

You mentioned that you are in a PhD program, but it is it a small cohort university-based program? I'm appalled that your program would be unsupportive at this point. If your DCT isn't being supportive and your advisor isn't being supportive, reach out to another faculty member in the program. They usually have an investment in making sure students in the program are successful. And that includes providing wisdom and guidance when a student doesn't match.

Disappointment in your program aside, here is the advise I would hope your DCT would provide you. Do not. I repeat do not make a decision for one year that will limit your career for the rest of your life. Work with your network/professional circle to figure out what went wrong. It sounds like you had plenty of interviews, so I'm guessing it isn't a red flag that is in your app, but it does makes me wonder about your interviews. Use this one year to get better training and get the skills necessary to apply to and interview at and obtain an accredited internship. It's heartbreaking and crushing right now, but I promise in the scheme of life, one year is not as long as it might feel. I'm sorry you are going through this and wish you the best of luck.

**Edited to add: I just looked back and saw that you mentioned you are not a US citizen. Do you plan to live and practice in the US? If you don't plan to practice and work in the US, the lack of an accredited internship may not be as much of a problem as it would be if you plan to practice in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for all the advice and help! I reached out to my professional network as you advised - including a psychologist currently on the internship selection committee of a site I had applied to in Phase I. That was really helpful because she was able to look through my whole application and the letters of recommendations that I didn't have access to. Turns out that my applications and interviews were very strong but what kept docking me points was a neutral LOR from my research advisor. I was advised to exclude her letter from my apps in post-match applications. I was fortunate enough to be offered a position at a site I had interviewed with in Phase II who had an additional position available in post-match. I'm glad to be leaving my unsupportive and toxic grad program!

Reactions: 11 users