APPIC Internship Stipend Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheatonfootball64

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

Forgive me if this is an easy answer and I missed it somewhere. I'm a 3rd year in a PsyD program looking ahead to APPIC internship options. I'm confused about the difference or meaning between "Low Stipend" and "High Stipend". Can anyone explain what this means?

Thanks in advance!
Dan Barnhart

Members don't see this ad.

It would help to know where you are seeing that information. APPIC portal? Internship websites? Somewhere else?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone-

Forgive me if this is an easy answer and I missed it somewhere. I'm a 3rd year in a PsyD program looking ahead to APPIC internship options. I'm confused about the difference or meaning between "Low Stipend" and "High Stipend". Can anyone explain what this means?

Thanks in advance!
Dan Barnhart
Programs will list the salary in the brochure and/or on the appic directory

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking several years ago, the lowest I saw was around $18k and the highest was in the $30-35k range. Not sure how much has changed.

Best I've seen is Montefiore - I believe it was around $40-$45k, plus subsidized housing, meal stipend, insurance, and lots of other benefits.

But I think the OP is referring to the high/low stipend listed in the directory for individual sites. Generally when a range is listed it reflects track differences in pay within a consortium (sometimes to make up for differences in other benefits) or additional pay for specific skills (e.g., fluency in another language). The brochure should specify it for you.

I remember looking at one as a safety. It literally paid nothing, but offered room and board. In the abandoned wing of the forensic hospital. Cause no horror movie has ever started out like that. I decided against it.

Another one in the pnw was only accessible by ferry. Which didn’t run during storms.

Reactions: 6 users
Best stipends I've seen are at the BOPs and The School at Columbia. They're in the realm of $50,000.

Hey everyone-

Thanks in advance!
Dan Barnhart

Based on your signature, I'm assuming you're looking at the military internship sites. Military internships are quite different than civilian sites, in that on top of your base pay as an O-3, you're also given a stipend for housing, food, number of dependents, and paid commensurate with number of years in the military. For example, at Tripler Army Medical Center, the low stipend is $91,440 per year. This is a single officer with <1 year of experience. The high stipend is $100,320 which is most likely for an officer with >10 years of military experience who is married with children. If you are brand new to the military, you can expect a base pay of about $4000/month, housing stipend of $1800-$3000/month, and food coming in at about $300/month. Housing/food are dependent upon the cost of living where you match. You can check rates here: https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm