APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear from Durham va?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not from me but on behalf of a member of my cohort:

Official Site Name: university at buffalo
Date Invitation Received: 11/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Call
Interview Dates Offered: 12/15
I’ve been waiting for this one! I didn’t receive a call. Should I assume that it’s a rejection? Or will they notify us if they’re rejecting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope! I know several people applying and they haven't heard either. Fingers crossed we'll hear soon!
Just wanted to say I haven’t heard anything either and applied! Getting super nervous 😬

Official Site Name: Central Virginia VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/24
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4, 1/8, 1/11, 1/15

Reactions: 6 users
First time I get to post something about interviews!

Official Site Name: Central Virginia VA Health Care System
Date Invitation Received: 11/24
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4 1/8 1/11 1/15
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Lots of coffee :coffee: :coffee::coffee:

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Official Site Name: Central Virginia VA Health Care System (CVHCS)
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/2020 at 10:32 eastern
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4, 1/8, 1/11, and 1/15
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Hyrule Warriors and anime. :)

Reactions: 8 users
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Walks, lots of walks :)

Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Charleston Consortium (Medical University of South Carolina)
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/2020 at 9:26am Central
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): behavioral medicine
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/11, 12/18, 1/8, 1/15, 12/7, 1/4, 1/11, 1/25, 1/9
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: watching great British bake off

Reactions: 7 users
I received a follow-up email from a site that notified applicants early last week. I followed up with them via email late last week because a few days had passed since their official notification date.

Turns out they did extend an interview invite, but I *never* received the original email! Not in my junk folder or anything. Why does the this-rarely-happens accident have to happen to ME? :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:
  • Wow
I saw on the overall list that people have heard from Phoenix Children's and Henry Ford Health Science. Do we know what tracks those offers were for?

Specifically, has anyone heard about peds neuro for these sites?
Henry Ford is probably the health track - my friend applied to that track and got an interview offer.

Official Site Name: UC Irvine Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): E-mail
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: December 4 - December 17

Members don't see this ad :)
Which site was this?
I don’t want to share publicly, but if you have a site that was supposed to notify you (per their website or APPIC listing) by early last week then PM me and I can confirm if it’s the same site.

Same for others as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: Geisinger Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personalized-ish email (mass email language with personalized scheduling link)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Primary Care Behavioral Health (Peds PCBH)
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14; 12/18; 1/4; 1/5; 1/15 + Overview Session either on 12/8 or 12/29

Has anyone heard anything from University of Minnesota Medical School Department of Pediatrics? Their listed notification date is 11/18 but I haven't seen it posted here.

Has anyone heard anything from University of Minnesota Medical School Department of Pediatrics? Their listed notification date is 11/18 but I haven't seen it posted here.
I believe in their brochure or website they mention a notification date in early December which different than the 11/18 date they have on appic. I applied there as well and haven't heard from them either.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear from Durham va?
Just wanted to note that although their APPIC listing says notification by 11/23, their brochure says interviews will go out by 11/27 and rejections by 12/2. So, fingers crossed for those of us who applied!

(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Walks, lots of walks :)

Darn! I'm guessing since a bunch of people got a mass email that I won't be interviewing here. Congrats to those of you who got the invite and good luck!!

• Care
Just wanted to note that although their APPIC listing says notification by 11/23, their brochure says interviews will go out by 11/27 and rejections by 12/2. So, fingers crossed for those of us who applied!
Great catch! Brochures have so much info in there, we’re bound to miss something :)

Official Site Name: Trenton Psychiatric Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone Call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: FOOD

Reactions: 3 users
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 (9:17 CST)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology

Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name: Geisinger Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personalized Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Primary Care Behavioral Health (Peds PCBH)
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4; 1/5; 1/15 + Overview Session either on 12/8 or 12/29

Official Site Name: Advocate Family Care Network
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19, 1/21, 1/27, 1/28
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Redecorating my house!

has anyone heard from allegheny general hospital? Notification deadline was yesterday

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: University of Florida Health Science Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/18/20
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/15, 12/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Exercise and hanging out with my gf and our cats
has anyone gotten a denial from this?

Has anyone heard back from the University of Florida Health Science System after they submitted their interview preferences through the URL they provided?

And did you e-mail back the academic coordinator or did you just fill out your preferences?

Has anyone heard back from the University of Florida Health Science System after they submitted their interview preferences through the URL they provided?

And did you e-mail back the academic coordinator or did you just fill out your preferences?
No I have not. I did not email the administrative assistant back, I just filled out the poll. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to hear back about a finalize date?

I haven't heard! I also sent an email with my preferences when I filled out the form but haven't heard back on that either.

No I have not. I did not email the administrative assistant back, I just filled out the poll. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to hear back about a finalize date?
Same. Really want them to reach back to me with the final date of the interview.

Official Site Name: Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 12:13 pm CST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Truman VA
Interview Dates Offered: 1/14, 1/15, 1/21, 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: watching love island!

On behalf of a cohortmate, since I don't think I've seen it posted:

Official Site Name: Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Western Psychiatric Hospital)
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 9:08am
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8/21, 1/15/21

• Sad
My day seemed to consist of refreshing this thread and my email. 😂

Reactions: 20 users
Looking at the amount of views on the thread (123K) helps me know I’m not alone lol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Official Site Name: University of Louisville School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 1:33 pm CST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): peds
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/11
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Criminal Minds (In fact, I was frantically trying to pause it when my phone rang with this notification) lol!

Reactions: 10 users
Official Site Name: University of Louisville School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 1:33 pm CST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): peds
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/11
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Criminal Minds (In fact, I was frantically trying to pause it when my phone rang with this notification) lol!
Criminal Minds!! YES!! Also... waiting to hear from them.. the suspense!!

Official Site Name: Duke SOM
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 1:26pm CST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Health
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/15

Official Site Name: UPenn Department of Psychiatry
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 1:33pm CST
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/12, 1/19

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle conflicting interview dates? I'd really hate to turn down an interview :(

Official Site Name: Duke SOM
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 1:26pm CST
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Health

Official Site Name: UPenn Department of Psychiatry
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 1:33pm CST
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/12, 1/19

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle conflicting interview dates? I'd really hate to turn down an interview :(
Congrats on being in the good position to have multiple interviews that conflict! Your best bet is to talk to your advisor or TD about this. Programs can be touchy about this from what faculty have told us students, so you should get advice from someone overseeing your training.

Official Site Name: Duke University Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/24/20 at 2:54pm EST
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Did not specify, but I applied to both Child Clinical Trauma and Child Pediatric

Definitely don't turn anything down until absolutely necessary. If a site is ultimately not willing or unable to make reasonable accommodations for something that occurs every cycle, they may also not be the most accommodating for whatever may happen during the internship year.

2 VAs that I've previously been affiliated with were generally able to make accommodations for interview conflicts since it's in the program best interest to interview (and be interviewed) by their selected candidates.

Additionally, for folks who are waiting to hear back about offers or confirmed interview dates, remember it's the holiday season so folks may be out on vacation or if they are working, possibly covering for colleagues and busier/more distracted than usual. I know the uncertainty sucks but give it a little more time and best of luck to all! (And of course, reach out specifically when needed).

Quick update to this: I just received an email about an hour ago from UF stating my official interview date. So I imagine they are starting to roll these out now.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: University of Michigan Mary A. Rackham Institute
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/17; 1/7; 1/14