APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was this the adult neuro track?
This was for health psychology but I believe that the neuro track invitations went out today as well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question about McLean and Mass General, is it me or do those sites prefer PhD students. They say they are willing to accept PsyD applicants but they haven’t taken any in over 5 years. I didn’t apply this year because of those stats.
Yes, Ivy League sites will always bias towards Clinical Psychology PhD (versus PsyD or Counseling Psychology PhD).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email rejection from Oregon State Hospital so looks like those notifications are going out. For everyone feeling depressed/demoralized...I completely empathize! I've gotten multiple rejections at this point and some for sites I thought I was a great fit for, so we are all in the same boat it sounds like. Be kind to yourselves! I'm positive each of you are wonderfully competitive applicants, and this process is tough for everyone! You're certainly not alone.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Official Site Name: Nebraska Internship Consortium in Professional Psychology
Date Invitation Received: 11/25
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Munroe Meyer Intensive Applied Behavior Analysis
Interview Dates Offered: 1/15 9:30-10:00am and optional open house on 1/14
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Baking!

Official Site Name: Marcus Autism Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Treatment Track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/8, 1/21, and 1/29
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Baking!

Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name: Oregon State Hospital - Psychology Internship Program (OSH-PIP)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: January 5th, January 7th, January 12th, and January 19th, 2021 from 8:00am to about 12:30pm (PST).
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: baking, cooking, netflix, exercise

Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: university of Colorado school of medicine
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Cedar
Interview Dates Offered: January 15, 22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: crafting

If you’re needing encouragement:

My top-tier site just met this week to review applications; We are behind schedule dealing with third-wave COVID crisis. We don’t want to rush decision-making. We take intern selection seriously.

Also: I didn’t do my internship at a top-tier site. I got excellent training at a site I ranked above top-tier sites after an interview that felt different from all the rest. I got every postdoc interview I requested, have a job considered by my trainees to be very fancy, and would still return to my internship site if there was a job available in my area of expertise (but no one ever leaves).

Trust yourself. Trust your gut. Trust your training and preparation. Even in the times of COVID, you deserve the best fit. A no for internship does not mean no for a postdoc or a job. Look for a site where you can get similar mentorship and training experiences that does feel you belong.

Also I got invites ON Thanksgiving, in the middle of the night, on weekends, and two days before the interview date. This is a wild time! Have your spreadsheets ready!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 55 users
Official Site Name: VAMHCS/UM-SOM Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/25 @ 9:21PM EST
Method of Invitation: Mass email
Specialty Track or Site: School Mental Health Track & Child Inpatient and Ped C/L Track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/28 for SMH & 1/07 and 1/21 for inpatient and ped c/l

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: university of Colorado school of medicine
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): CEDAR
Interview Dates Offered: January 15, 22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: surfing and prepping for a baby!

Official Site Name: Lebanon VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 11/25 @ 6:13 pm
Method of Invitation: Email
Specialty Track or Site: General
Interview Dates Offered: 1/6, 1/7, and 1/8
If & How you're staying sane: Netflix

Has anyone else heard back from Mount Washington Pediatric (rejections or invites) for the neuropsychology track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: VAMHCS/UM-SOM Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/25 @ 9:26PM EST
Method of Invitation: Email
Specialty Track or Site: Serious Mental Illness and Clinical High Risk tracks
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/21, 1/28

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else heard back from Mount Washington Pediatric (rejections or invites) for the neuropsychology track?
Yes, I received an invite yesterday. It was a personal email, so more might be on the way!

Happy (American) thanksgiving everyone! Hopefully we can all take a bit of a break from refreshing our emails today 😂 !
Beat of luck to everyone on this crazy journey!!

Reactions: 13 users
If you’re needing encouragement:

My top-tier site just met this week to review applications; We are behind schedule dealing with third-wave COVID crisis. We don’t want to rush decision-making. We take intern selection seriously.

Also: I didn’t do my internship at a top-tier site. I got excellent training at a site I ranked above top-tier sites after an interview that felt different from all the rest. I got every postdoc interview I requested, have a job considered by my trainees to be very fancy, and would still return to my internship site if there was a job available in my area of expertise (but no one ever leaves).

Trust yourself. Trust your gut. Trust your training and preparation. Even in the times of COVID, you deserve the best fit. A no for internship does not mean no for a postdoc or a job. Look for a site where you can get similar mentorship and training experiences that does feel you belong.

Also I got invites ON Thanksgiving, in the middle of the night, on weekends, and two days before the interview date. This is a wild time! Have your spreadsheets ready!
Thank you for this! I totally agree about how important the feel/fit is...when I interviewed for externships my rankings totally changed based on the vibes I got during interviews....which makes me very concerned/sad about having to do all these interviews over Zoom...I am afraid I won't be able to pick up as much about the vibes of the sites. Do you have any advice to navigate that? Thanks again!

Official Site Name: Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital - Adult Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/24
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/9, 12/16, 1/6, 1/13, 1/20
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: watching The Crown

Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Columbia University Irving Medical Center/NYPresbyterian
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone Call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Interview Dates Offered:
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane:

Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Columbia University Irving Medical Center/NYPresbyterian
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone Call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Interview Dates Offered:
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane:
Congrats! I’m still waiting to hear...hoping since they do phone calls they didn’t do Them all in one day!

Reactions: 1 users
posting for a friend!

Official Site Name: Southern Arizona VA (SAVAHCS)
Date Invitation Received: 11/26
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/9, 12/23, 1/13

which makes me very concerned/sad about having to do all these interviews over Zoom...I am afraid I won't be able to pick up as much about the vibes of the sites. Do you have any advice to navigate that? Thanks again!
Look for consistency between how the program describes itself in materials, the 'intro' section of the interview day (typically with the TD and possibly select faculty) and the responses you get when you ask each interviewer your questions.

Also, what I found really helpful during internship and postdoc was to interact with the current interns. I was always turned off by sites that barely let you interact with them.

Edit: it was always important to ask sites good questions but I think it's even more important this year. And I would ask for the contact info of current interns if that's not given out during the interview.

Last edited:
Official Site Name: Children's Hospital Orange County (CHOC)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal (I think) email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/8, 1/11, 1/15, 1/18, 1/21, 1/22

And this was after a tough rejection from what I perceived to be a less competitive site! Don't give up!

posting for a friend!

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Oh no! A notification from a VA on thanksgiving?? I just hoped that today was a safe day in terms of not receiving notifications from a VA.

• Wow
Method of Invitation: email

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you for this! I totally agree about how important the feel/fit is...when I interviewed for externships my rankings totally changed based on the vibes I got during interviews....which makes me very concerned/sad about having to do all these interviews over Zoom...I am afraid I won't be able to pick up as much about the vibes of the sites. Do you have any advice to navigate that? Thanks again!

I’ve encouraged my trainees to ask what plans they have in place to help trainees develop cohort cohesion with each other remotely. I could not agree more with spending time with current interns. If that time isn’t scheduled/offered, that would be a flag for me.

These days I’d ask about accommodations for telework (equipment, training, etc) and testing, and how seminars and interdisciplinary work have changed (especially in medical settings). Questions about community partnerships, long-term projects, non-evaluative mentorship, funding for presentations/admin leave, where previous interns have been hired/matched are all ways to determine how trainees are supported. If a DEI team isn’t mentioned, I’d ask specifically but recognize it’s probably lip service. I’d ask about plans to return to in-person services (if 100% remote), in-person safety practices in place (including PPE access) currently, and for a description of office space and how exam rooms are booked/shared.

Hopefully there’s a large-group zoom portion w/ breakout rooms where you can see how training committee members interact with each other, with trainees, etc. I strongly empathize with the anxiety of “fit” during remote interviews. Do remember that MANY interns match by phone/zoom every year!

And VHS video dating was a thing for a long time, too. When something works, it works. (And if it’s a poor match because of the distance interview, it’s only ONE year of an entire career. You can do this.)

Reactions: 8 users
I’ve encouraged my trainees to ask what plans they have in place to help trainees develop cohort cohesion with each other remotely. I could not agree more with spending time with current interns. If that time isn’t scheduled/offered, that would be a flag for me.

These days I’d ask about accommodations for telework (equipment, training, etc) and testing, and how seminars and interdisciplinary work have changed (especially in medical settings). Questions about community partnerships, long-term projects, non-evaluative mentorship, funding for presentations/admin leave, where previous interns have been hired/matched are all ways to determine how trainees are supported. If a DEI team isn’t mentioned, I’d ask specifically but recognize it’s probably lip service. I’d ask about plans to return to in-person services (if 100% remote), in-person safety practices in place (including PPE access) currently, and for a description of office space and how exam rooms are booked/shared.

Hopefully there’s a large-group zoom portion w/ breakout rooms where you can see how training committee members interact with each other, with trainees, etc. I strongly empathize with the anxiety of “fit” during remote interviews. Do remember that MANY interns match by phone/zoom every year!

And VHS video dating was a thing for a long time, too. When something works, it works. (And if it’s a poor match because of the distance interview, it’s only ONE year of an entire career. You can do this.)
VHS video dating? I'm going to go google that now. I'm so intrigued lol

Edit: I looked it up. I was not disappointed

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Official Site Name: Lexington VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/27
Method of Invitation: Phone call
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11, 1/8, 1/12

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone heard anything from UCSF? I got an email saying they expected to be in touch by the 24th or sooner with an "update"... the worry is starting to creep in.

Edit: The Substance Use Disorders Research-Practice Linkages area within the Public Service and Minority Cluster of UCSF

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from UCSF? I got an email saying they expected to be in touch by the 24th or sooner with an "update"... the worry is starting to creep in.
Which UCSF program are you waiting on? I heard back from their CAS MCTP, but different programs might be reaching out differently.

Which UCSF program are you waiting on? I heard back from their CAS MCTP, but different programs might be reaching out differently.
Good point, should have included that. The Substance Use Disorders Research-Practice Linkages area within the Public Service and Minority Cluster
And, also good point that different programs are rolling out differently.

Edit: The Substance Use Disorders Research-Practice Linkages area within the Public Service and Minority Cluster of UCSF
I was wondering the same thing. I know someone said they got an interview offer for the Public Service and Minority Cluster on 11/25 through mass email. Sounds both like they were delayed and possible that means those who haven't heard (including myself) are waiting for rejection...was not sure if I should reach out to ask for an update or ride it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System (SLVHCS) - New Orleans
Method of Invitation: Personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4, 1/5, 1/7, 1/8 - in-person or virtual options

I was wondering the same thing. I know someone said they got an interview offer for the Public Service and Minority Cluster on 11/25 through mass email. Sounds both like they were delayed and possible that means those who haven't heard (including myself) are waiting for rejection...was not sure if I should reach out to ask for an update or ride it out.
Mine was a different cluster but it was a personal email, if that’s at all helpful

Official Site Name: Durham VA
Specialty Track or Site: Addictions
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/9, 1/20

Official Site Name: Durham VAMC
Specialty Track or Site: General (there are no tracks)

Official Site Name: Durham VA Medical Center

Official Site Name: Nicklaus Children's Hospital
Specialty Track or Site: Pediatric Health
Interview Dates Offered: 1/11 (morning or afternoon), 1/13 (morning)

Reactions: 7 users
Specialty Track or Site: Pediatric Health

Specialty Track or Site: Peds Neuro
Congrats! I'm still waiting on this one. Has anyone received a rejection from the peds neuro track at Nicklaus?

CONGRATS on a landslide of invites and fingers crossed for those still waiting! The lists have been updated, and the invites below were sent via DM-

Official Site Name: Oregon Health & Sciences University
Date Invitation Received: 11/20, though it was actually sent out 11/18 and then forwarded (I guess there was an error in their emails!)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Special Health Care Needs
Interview Dates Offered: 1/5, 1/8

Official Site Name: Nemours/A.I. DuPont
Date Invitation Received: 11/23
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Integrated Behavioral Health, Pediatric Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11, 1/4, 1/15

Official Site Name: Primary Children's Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 11/23
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Psychology / Med Psych
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/11, 1/12

Official Site Name:
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Internship in Professional Psychology
Date Invitation Received:11/25/2020 (7:13 AM Pacific)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Autism Program
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/9, 12/16
If & How you're staying sane: decorating for the holidays 🎄