APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VHS video dating? I'm going to go google that now. I'm so intrigued lol

Edit: I looked it up. I was not disappointed
There’s old “Tim and Eric” sketches about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Official Site Name: UC Berkeley CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 11/27/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums: n/a
Interview Dates Offered: beginning 12/14
If & How you're staying sane: not really!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Children's Hospital Orange County (CHOC)
Date Invitation Received: 11/26
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal (I think) email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/8, 1/11, 1/15, 1/18, 1/21, 1/22

And this was after a tough rejection from what I perceived to be a less competitive site! Don't give up!
Ahh congrats! I'm looking forward to this one but haven't heard. Anyone received a rejection from here?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: Salem VA
Date Invitation Received:11/25/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/14
Congrats! I've heard great things about this site.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't feel too bad about that one...they've fired more than one intern in the past, and most of their training staff generally tend to be not very nice to interns.
I’ve heard that too. Wow! Why would an internship program invest in students only to terminate them?

Reactions: 2 users
Those black Friday emails are killing me! Every time I refresh the page, my stomach does summersaults and come to find out it's nothing!

Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone heard from Geisinger for the Neuropsych tracks?

Has anyone received a rejection email from Durham VA? I saw that they sent out the mass email for interviews (congrats to everyone!) so I’m assuming that means I’m waiting for the rejection email.

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Cleveland Clinic Children's/Pediatric Behavioral Health
Date Invitation Received: 11/25/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a (interns apply to all tracks)
Interview Dates Offered: 1/5 and 1/6
If & How you're staying sane: talking with others who are going through the same process! and therapy!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a rejection email from Durham VA? I saw that they sent out the mass email for interviews (congrats to everyone!) so I’m assuming that means I’m waiting for the rejection email.
I’m also in the same boat! No rejection email but not sure if they might be sending out invitations in waves or holding off on rejections before all interviewees commit to coming.

I’m also in the same boat! No rejection email but not sure if they might be sending out invitations in waves or holding off on rejections before all interviewees commit to coming.
From their brochure, applicants who are not invited for an interview will be notified by 12/2. Fingers crossed you receive an interview!

I'm expecting a rejection email on 12/2 - this one put me over the edge, yesterday was not a good one for me 😓 This process has been much worse than I expected! I do feel happy to be in this community though - this is probably the nicest thread on SDN 😂

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
I'm interviewing there as well! Would you mind sharing what things you've heard about this site?
I've heard from past interns from a couple years ago that their TD is very supportive and invested in their getting the experience they want on internship. It seemed that the interns were just generally happy there. Best of luck to you on your interview! :)

Official Site Name: Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
Date Invitation Received: 11/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Autism Services Program and Children's Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Services
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/11, 1/13
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: College Football!
Did you receive both invitations in the same email?
Has anyone received a rejection from Devereux Children's Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Services track? I received an interview for the Autism services Program track last week and I thought it was weird that I didn't hear either way from the other and I'm wondering if an email was missed or something

Did you receive both invitations in the same email?
Has anyone received a rejection from Devereux Children's Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Services track? I received an interview for the Autism services Program track last week and I thought it was weird that I didn't hear either way from the other and I'm wondering if an email was missed or something
Yes, I received both in the same email with different links to the sign up!

Official Site Name: Idaho Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/25/2020
Method of Invitation: Mass email
Specialty Track or Site: Boise State University Counseling Center
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7 and 1/8

I am too. But I don’t have a great feeling at this point. Oh well. 🤷🏼‍♀️
yeah I’m bummed too. but if it’s a mass email offer and we didn’t get one I think it’s likely we are on the mass email rejection list 😬

I’m gonna jump on this anxiety train and ask.... anybody out there hear from the west haven VA?

If you all haven’t seen it yet, I encourage everyone to read the latest email on the MATCH News list. It’s almost as if they’ve been reading this thread ;)

The advice about when to worry and when to contact sites if you haven’t heard is super important (as well as the part about not engaging in a doom spiral if you haven’t heard when others have). APPIC and the internship sites have given us all the information we need. Revisiting that information periodically when anxiety spikes would be immensely helpful.

If you all haven’t seen it yet, I encourage everyone to read the latest email on the MATCH News list. It’s almost as if they’ve been reading this thread ;)

The advice about when to worry and when to contact sites if you haven’t heard is super important (as well as the part about not engaging in a doom spiral if you haven’t heard when others have). APPIC and the internship sites have given us all the information we need. Revisiting that information periodically when anxiety spikes would be immensely helpful.
Yes to this so important! I hope it also encourages those who haven't heard from sites whose deadlines passed to feel comfortable reaching out!

I hope everyone is finding ways to relax and take your minds off things in anticipation of the big week ahead. Hoping the universe has plans to surprise us all with good news!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on child/pre-adolescent/ adolescent therapy? I recently started a practicum working with kids and I’ve only worked with adults before. So I’m just looking for anything that might have been really helpful in conducting therapy with kiddos.

Reading/studying as a means of quieting my anxiety as most of my sites don’t start reaching out for a week or so. It’s been radio silence over here but it’s been expected.

Over the next two week, you all will see an influx of invitations!! I am prophetically speaking this into action... and... I am also going off what the numbers are telling me from previous years.;) Good Luck!!

• Love
Does anyone have any recommendations for books on child/pre-adolescent/ adolescent therapy? I recently started a practicum working with kids and I’ve only worked with adults before. So I’m just looking for anything that might have been really helpful in conducting therapy with kiddos.

Reading/studying as a means of quieting my anxiety as most of my sites don’t start reaching out for a week or so. It’s been radio silence over here but it’s been expected.
For younger kids, I learned a lot from Incredible Years by Webster-Stratton and especially for kids in complex family situations, I can't recommend Surviving and Thriving in Stepfamily Relationships by Papernow highly enough.

I have found the TF-CBT book Treating Trauma and Traumatic Grief in Children and Adolescents, Second Edition by Judith A. Cohen very helpful.

I have found the TF-CBT book Treating Trauma and Traumatic Grief in Children and Adolescents, Second Edition by Judith A. Cohen very helpful.
I second this! And also add: some of the Lowenstein workbooks give creative activity ideas to riff off of (sometimes they offer free or low cost pdf versions), Neurobiologically Informed Trauma Therapy with Children and Adolescents by Chapman, and anything about play therapy -especially child centered as it just has solid info about how to talk to kids that translates to adolescents as well

For younger kids, I learned a lot from Incredible Years by Webster-Stratton and especially for kids in complex family situations, I can't recommend Surviving and Thriving in Stepfamily Relationships by Papernow highly enough.
Wonderful! Thank you 🙏🏻

I second this! And also add: some of the Lowenstein workbooks give creative activity ideas to riff off of (sometimes they offer free or low cost pdf versions), Neurobiologically Informed Trauma Therapy with Children and Adolescents by Chapman, and anything about play therapy -especially child centered as it just has solid info about how to talk to kids that translates to adolescents as well
This is so helpful, thank you so much

Rejection from brown adult Neuropsych track, mass email at 1pm Eastern.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Beautiful Sunday morning rejection from Brown Alpert Medical, Child Juvenile Justice Track. The name of the school was a reach, but my background perfectly fit this track so I'm still disappointed that I didn't get the invite. Good luck to others - it's a super cool track!

• Care
  • Wow
Official Site Name: Alpert Medical School of Brown
Date Invitation Received: 11/29
Method of Invitation: Mass email
Specialty Track or Site: Adult Clinical Track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/5, 1/8, 1/11, 1/12, 1/19

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Official Site Name: Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Date Invitation Received: 11/29/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):Health Psychology/Behavioral Medicine
Interview Dates Offered:
1/7, 1/8, 1/11, 1/13
If & How you're staying sane: Netflix

• Hmm
Date Invitation Received: 11/29/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): (Mass?) email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/11, 1/15, 1/20

• Hmm
Date Invitation Received: 11/29/20, 12:59pm
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Juvenile Justice/Behavioral Health (within the Child Clinical track)
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/11, 1/19

Last night, I made a coping plan for receiving rejections, including expected automatic thoughts and pre-planned restructured thoughts, plus a list of pleasant/distracting activities so I wouldn't have to brainstorm responses while upset. Highly recommend coping ahead (thanks, DBT!). Really grateful for this opportunity and sending hopeful and peaceful thoughts to everyone during this ridiculously stressful time.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 14 users