APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The interviews are generally for us to identify any red flags among applicants and to show the applicants what our site can offer. I honestly see the interviews as more important for the applicants to determine whether the site is a good fit, and less important for us. Most applicants don't change much in their ranking status after interviews since the ranking tends to be heavily based on applications. On occasion, an applicant may drop on the rank list (or not get ranked) if flags are raised, but it would be super uncommon for someone to significantly raise their status.

Maybe I'm missing something. If the rankings are largely based on applications and its uncommon for an applicant to significantly raise their status within the interview, then what is the point of interviewing an applicant that is already not highly ranked? How is that not considered an unproductive use of literally everyone's time?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I'm missing something. If the rankings are largely based on applications and its uncommon for an applicant to significantly raise their status within the interview, then what is the point of interviewing an applicant that is already not highly ranked? How is that not considered an unproductive use of literally everyone's time?

It's not universal, some sites rank the interview more highly. Also, it's more of a benefit to the applicant. I don't know many people who did not change their rankings significantly after doing interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!!
Thank you! It feels so weird to have interviews before even hearing back from other sites (my first is on Monday with Malcolm grow). Fingers crossed for all us :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This is why we don't interview everyone who applies. We interview enough applicants to hopefully ensure that we match/fill all of our spots. We don't invite those who would be ranked low to interview (low meaning that we wouldn't expect to match that low on our list based on results from previous years). So for example, if we have two spots that we historically had filled within our top 10, we'll invite 10 to interview. This is also why if you don't get an interview it doesn't mean your unqualified. Every year we have many more qualified applicants than we invite to interview, and it's because we don't want to waste everyone's time interviewing candidates who are very unlikely to match.

As I mentioned, I think the interviews are helpful to applicants to see if the site can meet their training goals. It can be difficult to judge that based on a website/brochure and meeting with faculty and current trainees can provide some very useful information. Anecdotally, it seems that many applicants change their rank order list after interviews. I also want to match with someone who is going to be happy at my site and I feel that the interview provides that information better than reading a description.

Reactions: 7 users
yeah i was gonna say some sites do weigh interviews heavily, probably especially those who receive many applications and strong candidates

Reactions: 1 users
yeah i was gonna say some sites do weigh interviews heavily, probably especially those who receive many applications and strong candidates

More of a site's way of doing anything as opposed to size and strength of candidates. I've generally been at larger programs or programs that get 45+ apps per position offered, and interviews were usually the lowest beta weight in the equation.

More of a site's way of doing anything as opposed to size and strength of candidates. I've generally been at larger programs or programs that get 45+ apps per position offered, and interviews were usually the lowest beta weight in the equation.

Ah that was my assumption based on the TDs I work with (they get about 50 per position so I inferred that). Just hearing from them the importance of interviews has made me surprised about other people's opinions on them. Personally, I'd rather they not play much of a role so I'm fine if that's generally the rule. In general, anecdotally I'd agree what I've heard is they are the lowest weight, but still relevant

Official Site Name: Southwest Consortium (Albuquerque VA)
Date Invitation Received: 11/12/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email (good thing I looked there between compulsively refreshing my Snapchat and SDN!)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/6/2021
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Escaping into a sci-fi book

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Official Site Name: Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/11/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psychology/Consultation-Liaison
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14/20
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Coffee and dissertation !!

Reactions: 9 users
Official Site Name: West Virginia University School of Medicine
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Behavioral Medicine Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/10, 12/11, 01/7, 01/8
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane
: Walks with my little one!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear from neuro tracks yet?

I wish I could input emojis on this platform. I would consider an emjoi with a person peeking through their fingers, or a small child anxiously waiting.... So, to answer your question, not yeto_O:giggle:.

Reactions: 6 users
I wish I could input emojis on this platform. I would consider an emjoi with a person peeking through their fingers, or a small child anxiously waiting.... So, to answer you question, not yeto_O:giggle:.

I’m with you. Whew! Not alone

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear from neuro tracks yet?
As far as I'm aware between folks I know applying, West Virginia is the only one and they historically reach out to applicants early compared to other programs. Not that it means anything all that much, but looking at last year's thread, neuro tracks seemed to contact applicants mid-late November and into early December.

As far as I'm aware between folks I know applying, West Virginia is the only one and they historically reach out to applicants early compared to other programs. Not that it means anything all that much, but looking at last year's thread, neuro tracks seemed to contact applicants mid-late November and into early December.
So that means if not by the end of this week, surely next week. Fingers crossed!

• Care
I got an email from Phoenix VA saying they would be sending out invites.... this upcoming Monday and Tuesday. Lol. And I applied to their neuropsych track

Do sites actually send out invites on snapchat? I have not heard of that lol. Could someone explain how that even works

• Haha
Do sites actually send out invites on snapchat? I have not heard of that lol. Could someone explain how that even works
Yeah it's part of how they cull the pool of applicants! If you don't reply with your preferred interview date before your snap expires, the offer is rescinded.

:p

(Totally kidding! This is def not a thing.)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah it's part of how they cull the pool of applicants! If you don't reply with your preferred interview date before your snap expires, the offer is rescinded.

:p

(Totally kidding! This is def not a thing.)

Yeah no reputable site would send a Snapchat. Professionals only communicate via Instagram DM.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Yeah, no reputable site would send a Snapchat. Professionals only communicate via Instagram, DM.

I have never looked more forward to someone sliding into my DMs. Do you think the sites will try and match with me on Tinder too?! I hope I can somehow upload my CV to my tinder profile.

But I actually am curious and wanted to know why the Method of Invitation question includes Snapchat, along with email and phone? Unless this is just a joke and I am totally just missing it lol.

• Haha
I have never looked more forward to someone sliding into my DMs. Do you think the sites will try and match with me on Tinder too?! I hope I can somehow upload my CV to my tinder profile.

But I actually am curious and wanted to know why the Method of Invitation question includes Snapchat, along with email and phone? Unless this is just a joke and I am totally just missing it lol.

Haha yes I definitely think that it’s a joke :)

Official Site Name: California Pacific Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Inpatient Psychiatry
Interview Dates Offered: 1/11/2020
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Reading your threads re: Snapchat haha!

Oh man, had a real out loud snortle at the idea of the AAPIC match being a dating app match. Thank you for that. Went way down a rabbit hole imagining internship sites' dating profiles...

For the USA Jobs process, does anyone know if undergraduate transcripts are required? Or is it just graduate school transcripts? Thanks!

For the USA Jobs process, does anyone know if undergraduate transcripts are required? Or is it just graduate school transcripts? Thanks!
I think there’s a current USA Jobs thread you might find useful!

Official Site Name: Kansas City Children’s Mercy
Date Invitation Received: 11/6
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds
Interview Dates Offered: Jan 11 or 12
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Disney Channel Original Movies on Disney+

Congrats! I was hoping to hear from them too. Fingers are crossed

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Date Invitation Received: 11/13/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16, 1/8, & 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane
: Visiting my (nearly) 2 year old niece on a nightly basis so we can color, dance, and I can pretend not to be a grown up :D

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16, 1/8, & 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Visiting my (nearly) 2 year old niece on a nightly basis so we can color, dance, and I can pretend not to be a grown up :D
Love the coping skills. So. Much.

• Haha

Just a joke! Based on prior years, snail mail is much more likely!:D

Official Site Name: Travis County (TX)
Method of Invitation: personalized email
Specialty Track or Site: N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/07, 01/08, 01/11, 01/12

Reactions: 7 users
do any sites ever notify on the weekends? Or can I have a reprieve from constantly checking my email?

do any sites ever notify on the weekends? Or can I have a reprieve from constantly checking my email?

I hope they don’t! The weekends and after 5 are my only reprieve so far ha.

I got my first one at 8:52 PM on a Friday night, so I guess weekends/after 5 are not totally off limits!

Official Site Name: University of Denver Health and Counseling Center-part of the University of Denver internship consortium
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Interview Dates Offered: several date options for Zoom interview throughout the first 2 weeks of December.
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: reality tv and cuddling with my dog! And lots of chocolate.

UCSF emailed me (at like 10 PM also) to let me know I met the minimum requirements and they’ll send out interviews by the 24th loolllll another tease

Last edited:
UCSF emailed me (at like 10 PM also) to let me know I met the minimum requirements and they’ll send out interviews by the 24th loolllll another tease
That’s awesome! Just to clarify, was it UCSF CAS OR CAPS program?

Prior year applicants I know said yes, notifications did at times come on weekends. So it may be helpful to find a balance of checking versus doing other things that works for you. I personally am limiting my checking to three times per day, every day. More and I'd go crazy. Less and I might miss something important like a preferred interview time or a request for additional information.

Official Site Name: Southwest Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/12/20
Method of Invitation: email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/15/2020

When sites state they will let you know about interviews by a certain date - how true do they tend to stay to that timeline? (i.e. how long after that date can I safely move on and stop hoping!)

When sites state they will let you know about interviews by a certain date - how true do they tend to stay to that timeline? (i.e. how long after that date can I safely move on and stop hoping!)
Last year’s interview thread will give you a good idea, as will the year before. I’ve found that the sites I applied to were traditionally much earlier than their stated deadlines by a couple of weeks, and that they’ve been pretty consistent with keeping to that timeline. However, this is a strange year, so anything can happen really.

Best of luck to everyone this application season. I'm a long time lurker on SDN, but I finally joined to be able to participate in this thread. Sending my support to everyone :)

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
I can only speak to my experience last year but it seemed that often people were notified on the date but likely earlier when receiving an interview. I believe sites abiding by APPIC rules have to notify you that you are no longer under consideration by their stated notification date.

I can only speak to my experience last year but it seemed that often people were notified on the date but likely earlier when receiving an interview. I believe sites abiding by APPIC rules have to notify you that you are no longer under consideration by their stated notification date.

Oh that's good to know! I wasn't even sure if they were required to send rejections notifications in any set timeframe.

Weekend invite alert! Send via DM :)

Official Site Name: UAB-BVAMC
Date Invitation Received: 11/15/20 (at night!)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): child
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11, 12/14
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: baking!

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Weekend invite alert! Send via DM :)

Official Site Name: UAB-BVAMC
Date Invitation Received: 11/15/20 (at night!)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): child
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11, 12/14
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: baking!

Very strong academic medical site

Official Site Name: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/15/20 (at 1:00am!!)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: January 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, or 20
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: lots of Netflix (Queen's Gambit, Emily in Paris, Great British Baking Show, and starting get into Netflix's new holiday movies haha)

Reactions: 10 users
Official Site Name: Phoenix VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/16/20
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14, 12/15, 12/16, 12/17, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Binge watching Dawson’s creek

Last edited: