APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@WisNeuro could you tell me the top adult sites for neuro nationwide in your opinion? Someone mentioned that you listed a few a while back, but I must have missed that post
I was the one who asked! It’s on page 84

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I’ve been told that internships with specialized tracks such as neuropsych and pediatric psych are among the most competitive. What makes them more difficult to obtain in comparison to others? There are some students in my cohort who applied to peds psych and my DCT told them that they should be prepared to go into phase 2.

So I’ve been told that internships with specialized tracks such as neuropsych and pediatric psych are among the most competitive. What makes them more difficult to obtain in comparison to others? There are some students in my cohort who applied to peds psych and my DCT told them that they should be prepared to go into phase 2.
Mainly that there are less sites/spots for those training experiences relative to the high number of applicants. One of my sites that has 8 positions across multiple tracks mentioned that of the ~180 applicants, 70 were for the neuro track, and only 15 of which were invited to interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pro Tip: Best way to keep your mind off any application wait time is by delving into a new project or learn a new subject completely outside your field.
Yes! Working on writing up my results section and manuscript revise and resubmit. The weeks are flying by almost too quickly!

Reactions: 1 users
How are you planning on receiving and opening your match email? With family? Alone? With partner? With cohort? With pets? With wine? oh wait.... it will be morning time :coffee:

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
How are you planning on receiving and opening your match email? With family? Alone? With partner? With cohort? With pets? With wine? oh wait.... it will be morning time :coffee:
With maybe two hours of sleep behind me, in my room, alone. My partner will likely be awake (LDR) awaiting my call. My parents will likely be asleep. I will see the email notification on my iPhone and I will nervously scroll centimeter by centimeter.
If good news — morning champagne 🥂
If terrible news — I’m going back to bed.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
My supervisor said we’re expected to show up/see clients that day... so I guess opening it in between clients and hoping I can still function after? 🥲

• Wow
  • Care
  • Angry
Reactions: 10 users
My supervisor said we’re expected to show up/see clients that day... so I guess opening it in between clients and hoping I can still function after? 🥲
Unsolicited suggestion, but I would reserve 30 minutes after you plan to check your email. Maybe schedule some "notes" time. That way you have some time to celebrate or mourn at your leisure.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Unsolicited suggestion, but I would reserve 30 minutes after you plan to check your email. Maybe schedule some "notes" time. That way you have some time to celebrate or mourn at your leisure.
This is a great idea, I bet it’ll just help to have a concrete plan like that too. My first client is 9am EST so fingers crossed they send the notifications early!! Thanks for the advice :)

• Care
Is anyone else feeling like time has never moved so slowly??? I cannot handle the waiting!!!

Reactions: 14 users
Is anyone else feeling like time has never moved so slowly??? I cannot handle the waiting!!!
Same, I had a coworker mention today “omg it’s come up fast!” And I was like this is the slowest 2 weeks of my life 😩

Since I'm west coast, it will arrive at about the time I roll out of bed to prep for my lab meeting. Planning to spend the evening digitally celebrating with friends and family.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My program typically cancels the 1 class that’s held on Fridays for Match Day. Friday isn’t a clinical day for me but if it was I would’ve requested off months ago. I didn’t realize we’d be getting emails a couple hours before 10am, so my partner and I had planned to make a nice breakfast while I waited. Now, I’ll roll over and the email will already be in my inbox! (I don’t get out of bed before like 9 unless I really have to).

Any of you planning a Michael Scott-style "happy box/sad box" for Friday morning?

This is such a fun idea. I think I would just do one box for either occasion, but now I want to create myself a care package! I just don't know what to put in it.

Anyone else having a hard time focusing on their work? I have not been able to get anything done and am generally lacking motivation. Are we embracing this or practicing some coping/opposite action? Where are we at?

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Anyone else having a hard time focusing on their work? I have not been able to get anything done and am generally lacking motivation. Are we embracing this or practicing some coping/opposite action? Where are we at?
I have waves of anxiety but mostly trying to knock out a revise/resubmit and finish my dissertation before starting internship, which have been nice/stressful distractions. lol. That said, when my attention squirrels away, here I am on SDN eating popcorn and valentines day chocolate, of course. Less than 7 days and we can start preparing for the next steps on our journey. Hang in there!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I think... I'm embracing it. Lol.

is it possible that the number of sites available in phase 2 will be lower relative to previous years? Some people think so since many sites interviewed significantly more applicants and as such, are likely to be eager to fill their positions in phase 1.

I will be at my practicum on that day. II have clients scheduled back to back until the end of the day. Therefore, I probably won’t have much time to process the outcome either way.

is it possible that the number of sites available in phase 2 will be lower relative to previous years? Some people think so since many sites interviewed significantly more applicants and as such, are likely to be eager to fill their positions in phase 1.
Did they?! Oh my gosh. How did you learn that? This makes me wonder if I only got some interviews because sites were interviewing more applicants... a useless thought to have right now but ahhh

• Care
Did they?! Oh my gosh. How did you learn that? This makes me wonder if I only got some interviews because sites were interviewing more applicants... a useless thought to have right now but ahhh
They were willing to interview more applicants this year since there was already a higher number of people who applied.

Happy Match Week! We are so close to the end - hang in there!

Reactions: 9 users

Not an ounce of focus or motivation here...and not exactly trying to fight it🤷‍♀️

• Love
Just accepting the fact that I'm not going to be super productive this week. After the insanity of the fall and how hard I've worked throughout grad school, I've learned to just accept sometimes that I'm not always going to get everything done when my mind would like it done.

Reactions: 10 users
Just accepting the fact that I'm not going to be super productive this week. After the insanity of the fall and how hard I've worked throughout grad school, I've learned to just accept sometimes that I'm not always going to get everything done when my mind would like it done.
I was just thinking this to myself. Sitting here, making my daily to-do list and I realized...it is the same as yesterday's because... well, I couldn't concentrate yesterday and I definitely can't concentrate today.

What is everyone doing to push through this anxiety-filled week? How are you all coping?

I was just thinking this to myself. Sitting here, making my daily to-do list and I realized...it is the same as yesterday's because... well, I couldn't concentrate yesterday and I definitely can't concentrate today.

What is everyone doing to push through this anxiety-filled week? How are you all coping?
Working out, de-catastrophizing various outcomes, drinking lots of water... and lots of Toaster Strudel and naps 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

This is what I did and it’s helped so far. Normalizing that we can’t concentrate and just embracing it at this point! Watching the Cecil Hotel and my ole trusty (Dateline). And running the heck out of my dissertation!

• Love

Literally, just like that. I have also been just moving all of my To Do list items from one day to the next for the last few days because being this close is so nervewrecking! :nailbiting:

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
48 hours more or less! After several weeks of little nerves or insomnia, l’m suddenly as restless as I was when waiting for interviews to roll in!

I’ve gotten no work done this week :( trying to give myself some grace.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Two more (likely restless) sleeps😱

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Reading all your posts makes me feel like I should be doing something (or procrastinating from doing something)! My schedule has been pretty light all year. All I have is clinical work and dissertation, but I’ve had a lull in diss work and haven’t been doing anything. Imagine what it’s been like to have a pretty clear schedule and have to make up things to do to make the time pass! :scared:

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Reading all your posts makes me feel like I should be doing something (or procrastinating from doing something)! My schedule has been pretty light all year. All I have is clinical work and dissertation, but I’ve had a lull in diss work and haven’t been doing anything. Imagine what it’s been like to have a pretty clear schedule and have to make up things to do to make the time pass! :scared:
Meh, only thing I'm doing besides you is editing a manuscript I'm a 2nd author on. I am not submitting to conferences this year so I'm not doing my usual January-February abstract scramble.

Feeling the nerves so much! Sending good vibes and best wishes to all. Anybody know from previous years what exact time we will hear via email? I have heard before 10:00 a.m. ET but didn't know if that would be 8, 9:00....?

Feeling the nerves so much! Sending good vibes and best wishes to all. Anybody know from previous years what exact time we will hear via email? I have heard before 10:00 a.m. ET but didn't know if that would be 8, 9:00....?
Looked like it came last year close to 8am EST, I have heard anecdotally that it's typically on the earlier side ahhh

• Wow
Does anyone know what the email subject line says? I saw a picture of the actual body of the email but am just wondering what the subject line will be like. Anxiety at an all time high!

• Wow
The MATCH NEWS email says we should get an email between 8-9am eastern and if not, the website will display the result at 10.

A (paraphrased) post I remember seeing on last year’s thread: “Someone once said the day before Match Day is like the Christmas Eve from hell.”

Merry “Christmas Eve from hell”! 🎄🤣
Cheers to none of us getting a lump of coal tomorrow!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
How is everyone holding up today??? I’m not well.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
A (paraphrased) post I remember seeing on last year’s thread: “Someone once said the day before Match Day is like Christmas Eve from hell.”

Merry “Christmas Eve from hell”! 🎄🤣
Cheers to none of us getting a lump of coal tomorrow!
Santa Claus Movie GIF

• Haha
I am also not well. I can’t distract myself whatsoever. Longest 24 hours ever.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
my school's email.....the one attached to my match is down and cannot be fixed until next week!!!!!! I AM BUGGING OUT

• Care
  • Haha
my school's email.....the one attached to my match is down and cannot be fixed until next week!!!!!! I AM BUGGING OUT
Oh no! Do not panic. You should have access to the match website at 10 AM EST where it will show your result in that portal!

I was lucky that I was extremely busy last week and didn’t feel the days pass by. But this. week. is. crawling. I had a long to do list this week, but because I was working without a deadline, I got nothing done. I need this to be over. Whether this week is crawling or flying for you, I’m sending you all positive thoughts! May the odds be in our favor tomorrow!

• Love
Anyone thinking that they will pull an all-nighter?! :help:
Haha, my goal is to literally get to bed as early as possible so I can just wake up and it'll be tomorrow. I mean, I expect I'll probably have a bit of trouble sleeping but that will be the goal.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users