Nov 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Psychology
As we're winding down the interview process, I'm curious. What has been the most unexpected experience you've had during this process?
I think the same as another person mentioned of how a 25 minute interview can determine if the applicant is a good fit. Especially if the interview is one where you ask them questions and not have questions asked to you...

...or when you interview with supervisors who in the overview meeting seem like real people and then in the individual interviews become stone-faced. Like where’d your personality go?!

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 8, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Regarding warmth/lack of warmth via virtual interviews.....How much weight are you putting on that? For example, there was a site that I thought I would rank top 2, but they were cold and now I am not sure what to make of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 24, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Regarding warmth/lack of warmth via virtual interviews.....How much weight are you putting on that? For example, there was a site that I thought I would rank top 2, but they were cold and now I am not sure what to make of it.
I would take into account two things
1) the reported intern experiences at the prac site (whether they seemed less or more enthusiastic about the level of support they had and their general experiences with their supervisors)
2) the amount of importance I place in interpersonal relationships and the impact it has on my well being.

Personally, I'm someone who places a lot of importance on my workplace relationships, and know that it would effect me negatively if I didn't feel that warmth from a supervisor. But I also know people who don't care all that much and who would place more importance on the quality of training even if their supervisor is considered less than socially competent. I've heard of supervisors you wouldn't want to get coffee with, but because of their level of prestige in the field, people tolerate them. It's up to you what you think is more important and what you think you can tolerate. Personality differences also play a role. What you consider cold, might be socially typical at that site or even in that region of the country. That kind of clash might lead to a period of adjustment on your part. So I might ask myself "How flexible am I with people who express warmth and support differently than I do? Am I willing or able to adjust my expectations and social needs?" If the answer is no, it's important to be honest with yourself about that.

It's hard to figure out how much the vibes you get off one zoom call reflect people's typical predispositions, but I tend to err on the side of caution if something doesn't feel right to me. If I wasn't super sure, I might follow up with a current intern if possible and ask questions like 1) How did your site support you throughout your internship process? 2) What does your supervisor value in their supervision style 3) Does the site prioritize self care? If so, how? 4) When you faced challenges in your site, how did supervisors react? 5) How would you describe the workplace culture? etc.

About the Ads

foreverbull

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
That threw me off, but in the end, the "warm" interviewers I liked ended up being really harsh in terms of supervision when I landed there for internship. It's honestly a crap shoot. Some folks come across cold because it's one staff member interviewing you who isn't going to be interacting with you regularly, etc. so that's hard to judge or they're just tired of interviewing so they sound mechanical, but would be more interpersonal if they got to know you on internship. Something to keep in mind. I don't know that putting a lot of energy into that aspect is honestly that helpful or indicative of the environment there. In my case, it definitely wasn't.

I also interviewed at some of the exact same places that my peers did and warmth varied widely by interviewer. I had a different psychologist interviewing me and it was a very different experience than my peers depending on who you got that day for the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Mar 10, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
With performance based interviewing (at sites like VAs, for example), interviewers may be trying to be unemotional and “standardized” with how they ask questions. So it may not be reflective of their actual interpersonal style. I met a number of people who I knew were super supportive of interns and very invested in training that came off coldish in an interview. But it was part of the process for them. In a way, I appreciated the less biased approach because it can unduly influence outcomes if applicants they favor (for whatever reason) get a more friendly interview than others. But I also see how it is so hard to gauge how they might be in supervision, for example, based on that. I learned a lot from how they talked about their past experiences (one TD described in detail the exciting things a former intern from a couple years ago had done and that showed me that she truly cared about the person and cherished what they accomplished in their time at the site).

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Psychology
With performance based interviewing (at sites like VAs, for example), interviewers may be trying to be unemotional and “standardized” with how they ask questions. So it may not be reflective of their actual interpersonal style. I met a number of people who I knew were super supportive of interns and very invested in training that came off coldish in an interview. But it was part of the process for them. In a way, I appreciated the less biased approach because it can unduly influence outcomes if applicants they favor (for whatever reason) get a more friendly interview than others. But I also see how it is so hard to gauge how they might be in supervision, for example, based on that. I learned a lot from how they talked about their past experiences (one TD described in detail the exciting things a former intern from a couple years ago had done and that showed me that she truly cared about the person and cherished what they accomplished in their time at the site).
That’s what is throwing me off so hard about a site I love but the interview made me feel not good. The lack of expression as well as the amount of questions being thrown at you sucks. I don’t know if I should even factor that into my decision making.

Reactions: 1 user

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
  1. Psychologist
That’s what is throwing me off so hard about a site I love but the interview made me feel not good. The lack of expression as well as the amount of questions being thrown at you sucks. I don’t know if I should even factor that into my decision making.

Depends on what you find important. Personally, I look at the internship/postdoc training years as a way to get the best training you can, giving you the best flexibility you can have for your job search. It's a relatively short period of time compared to the entirety of your career. I'd personally go somewhere with a great reputation for training, with supervisors I didn't interpersonally like, rather than a mediocre site with people I really liked. I've had many kinds of supervisors (warm, cold and clinical, etc) and I haven't found much difference in quality of clinical supervision based on warmth of supervisor. But, YMMV, figure out what's important for you.

summerbabe

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2016
Status
  1. Psychologist
That’s what is throwing me off so hard about a site I love but the interview made me feel not good.
I had a similar experience when I applied at one site. The interview day was structured oddly and some of the interviewers were interpersonally off-putting. Multiple other interviewees that day and some others I met during later interviews also appeared to have similar reactions.

I ended up reaching out to 2 of the interns on the 'track' that I was applying for and they were able to provide a more balanced impression of what the year would look like, who I would be supervised by, and other organizational details which helped me to regain confidence in that site, which I ended up ranking as my #1. I matched there and had a very good experience (as did the rest of my cohort) and my actual supervisors were excellent.

However, I also wouldn't dismiss gut intuition but I think gathering some more data points could be helpful for your decision making.

Mar 5, 2020
Do you guys think every site gives positive feedback to interviewees as a way to "butter them up"? For example, a supervisor I interviewed with at a site I am ranking highly was very complimentary and I am wondering if this is just part of the recruitment process.....i have heard from peers on internship that sites intentionally make applicants "feel special" because they too need to be ranked highly to match

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
  1. Psychologist
Do you guys think every site gives positive feedback to interviewees as a way to "butter them up"? For example, a supervisor I interviewed with at a site I am ranking highly was very complimentary and I am wondering if this is just part of the recruitment process.....i have heard from peers on internship that sites intentionally make applicants "feel special" because they too need to be ranked highly to match

I wouldn't read to much into this. Most sites don't need much to match, my old site rarely ranked out of our top 10, my old VA sites went to 12 once, otherwise were always in top 10. Like applicants, most will match with their upper tier or ranks for the most part.

Nov 16, 2020
Trying to figure out how a site can rank an applicant with a 30 minute interview lol! I get that it’s probably based more on materials but it was strange to me!
I had one that was 20 minutes long... I’m pretty sure they had already decided who they were ranking prior to the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 16, 2020
I'm struck by how vastly different each site is approaching virtual interviews. This ranges from schedules (e.g., sending individual links, full schedules, schedules including every applicant so you have to decipher what your schedule is), to platforms, to length (ranging from one 45 minute interview to 7 hours! on zoom), to the information provided/clarified in the interview, to warmth/lack of warmth during the interviews, etc.

I also do not care for the group interview format via virtual platforms. It is awkward and some platforms have audio preferences so it favors some applicants over others and causes a lot of anxiety.

Other than that, I think the overall experience has been surprisingly pleasant. Everyone was supportive and flexible, with several TDs and faculty reaching out to clarify questions or follow-up with anything that was unclear.
Group interviews were the worst! “Why should we choose you instead of them?” Asked in a group format was not a good experience. I did not enjoy being interviewed by interns at one site prior to my interview with the faculty.
i agree with you that the whole thing has been more positive than I expected.

• Wow
Nov 18, 2019
Status
  1. Psychologist
I wouldn't look too much into this at all. I'm just complimentary generally as an interviewer.

Last edited:

foreverbull

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
I wouldn't look too much into this at all. I'm just complimentary generally as an interviewee.
Agreed. There is also still a VERY clear power differential in favor of the site. As much as we like to think we have some power as interviewees in choice, it’s still very much a site choosing you (or not choosing you). Certainly you rank them as well, but it’s not an egalitarian process at all.

Some interviewers are kinder and friendlier, etc. but it’s probably not because they’re worried you won’t choose THEM.

Nov 17, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Agreed. There is also still a VERY clear power differential in favor of the site. As much as we like to think we have some power as interviewees in choice, it’s still very much a site choosing you (or not choosing you). Certainly you rank them as well, but it’s not an egalitarian process at all.
Interesting. How do you know that? I thought it’s 50/50, and in only certain circumstances student’s choice may prevail.

foreverbull

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Interesting. How do you know that? I thought it’s 50/50, and in only certain circumstances student’s choice may prevail.
I meant in the sense that students are interviewed by sites and the onus is on them to appear as attractive candidates, not necessarily the other way around. Internship sites have many applicants to choose from, so they’re not in a position where they need to “sell” themselves whereas interviewees are in a more vulnerable position. Hence my opinion that it’s inherently not egalitarian. You don’t get to ask all the questions and pose them first, choose which sites to interview yourself, etc. they choose YOU for interviews and beyond based on a large pool of applicants—or not at all. Interviewees don’t get that same choice; they do pick sites they like, but they have to just hope the site finds their application worthy of the next step in the process.

Last edited:

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
  1. Psychologist
The ranking and matching algorithm is generally egalitarian. But the sites being able to choose applicants definitely should favor the sites. This is not a lottery process, every applicant is not equal. Egalitarian is not the ideal, nor should it be in that circumstance.

Additionally, stronger applicants have more "power" in the dynamic than weak applicants, assuming they applied to places with good fit. This is how it should work.

Nov 14, 2020
The ranking and matching algorithm is generally egalitarian. But the sites being able to choose applicants definitely should favor the sites. This is not a lottery process, every applicant is not equal. Egalitarian is not the ideal, nor should it be in that circumstance.

Additionally, stronger applicants have more "power" in the dynamic than weak applicants, assuming they applied to places with good fit. This is how it should work.
I agree with WisNeuro on this one.

Dec 4, 2020
Does anyone know if APPIC match statistics take into account multiple tracks? For example, I anticipate ranking 3 tracks within one site, so if I got my third choice track at my top choice site, would APPIC consider that as me receiving my third choice? Currently entering the panic mode of which sites I'm most likely to potentially match with in terms of ranking. Trying to figure out how carefully to decide between rank #8 and rank #9, etc.

Nov 9, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Does anyone know if APPIC match statistics take into account multiple tracks? For example, I anticipate ranking 3 tracks within one site, so if I got my third choice track at my top choice site, would APPIC consider that as me receiving my third choice? Currently entering the panic mode of which sites I'm most likely to potentially match with in terms of ranking. Trying to figure out how carefully to decide between rank #8 and rank #9, etc.
I believe the statistics do take the tracks into account, because you’re still ranking a separate number (that just happens to be part of the same site). That’s my understanding anyway.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads