App'ing late-ish question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labfiend

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As one of the (two!) people who posted under the procrastinators thread, I've got a question about applying late-ish in the season. I know it puts you at a disadvantage (especially in MD-only admissions) in general, but does anyone know where the disadvantage hits you hardest--is it in getting an interview, and once you've snagged one, you're nearly on par with those who completed the app earlier, or does it follow you through the whole process? I imagine it varies from program to program, depending on whether or not they're rolling, but I'm mostly talking about non-rolling admit programs. I'll finally be done with all my secondaries/supplements this week, about two months after I originally intended, but there's no point in dwelling on that...

Members don't see this ad.

If it's non-rolling and the school hasn't made interview decisions yet, submitting late will likely not hurt you at all. If the school has rolling interview invites, it may hurt you simply because they may send out alot of invites early and not have many left for the late comers. Once you get an interview at a non-rolling school, your late application should not matter at all. They aren't going to say "well this person applied late, he's not as good." I think at most non-rolling programs decisions are made in one or two sittings late in the process, or at least that's how it's done at Penn. Once everyone has interviewed, they sit down and decide who they want.

Though at this point you may be running up against deadlines. So get on the ball!