Technology Apple Powerbook ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredocter

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was interested in buying an Apple powerbook this summer (August) before heading off to medical school. Does anyone know if apple is planning to revamp their powerbook between now and August or anytime after that. I just don't want to buy my powerbook and then have it be outdated in like a month or two. Also, does anyone have an idea as to when Apple will be installing G5 processors in their powerbooks? I am debating on whether to suck it up and wait. Any thoughts?
 
Rumors are beginning to surface that Steve Jobs could possibly announce Powerbook upgrades at June's WWDC (Worldwide Developer's Conference). I'm not sure if this will actually happen considering that the Powerbooks were recently revamped in April (speed boosts).

G5 Powerbooks likely won't happen this year since there is a significant issue with heat generated from the G5 processors in such a tight enclosure. Rumors have it that Apple may be releasing a dual-processor G4 Powerbook, but whether this will be announced at WWDC remains to be seen.

My advice is to wait. At the worst, there will be no update and you can buy one then.
 
I agree with Southerdoc, wait as long as possible - they will only get cheaper, faster and better. G5 powerbooks are probably a LONG way off - too much heat, and battery life would suck. Faster G4s, dual core ? are more likely - and probably better options anyway. Besides for medschool battery life is probably more important than faster processors.

If you are a switcher from windoze, you might want to get it a couple of weeks early to get fully up to speed with MacOS before starting med school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice. I will be a switcher. I have used PC computers all my life but I am just fed up with the way windows machines freeze up all the time and generally cause problems. I am hoping that these problems are less frequent or non-existent in apple machines. I also like the power and style of apple powerbooks. Any thoughts on what the pros and cons of powerbooks are compared to PC laptops?
 
futuredocter said:
Thanks for the advice. I will be a switcher. I have used PC computers all my life but I am just fed up with the way windows machines freeze up all the time and generally cause problems. I am hoping that these problems are less frequent or non-existent in apple machines. I also like the power and style of apple powerbooks. Any thoughts on what the pros and cons of powerbooks are compared to PC laptops?

Yep, OSX is MUCH more stable than windows. I really like not shutting down my laptop, just close the lid, it goes to sleep - open it again and it's on - instantly. (NOT the same as hibernate in windows).

Have you considered an ibook? you can save quite a few dollars, and lose only a little power. (I doubt you'd notice the difference unless you're into graphics/video) Only other drawback with iBooks is that they only mirror what's on the screen when connected to external monitors - they dont do dual display (so your limited to 1024 X 768)

Oh and don't forget to supersize your RAM it really helps
👍
 
i myself have a question regarding the powerbook (i'm giving a little background that i feel is needed to readers before talking about the apple)

I have previously owned 1 dell laptop and 1 desktop along with its accessories (pda, tv) and I liked them a lot.... that was until my laptop started shutting down due to overheating. After finding out it could be fixed with a software patch, i ended up having both fans on all the time at full speed to prevent shut down. A few months later, (just as I had finished transferring my files to the desktop and formatting) the laptops monitor went blank. I'm guessing its the video card but I need to get it checked.

I feel as if this is probably due to my graduate life where I would be taking that thing everywhere and it probably went through more abuse than it should have. That being the case, i've heard of cases where the laptops are giving issues post-2 years when the warranties expire (if u get 1yr extended).

now my desktop (less than 8months old) is giving me fan issues - luckily this time i'm within the 1 year warranty period.

Given all my problems with dell lately, i have been seriously contemplating getting an apple laptop. I saw the ibooks and though the price is great, they just dont feel as solid as I would like. Now the powerbooks feel REAL nice. Solid construction and durable (that and I really like the Tiger OS - longhorn is more than a year away so i cant bother waiting for it). I wanted to know what other people's opinion on the matter is. Is the durability of the powerbook worth the extra money over the ibooks? Also, i know the size of the 12'' makes it easy to carry but does anyone have experience with whether its more annoying having a smaller screen or not?
 
4 Ever said:
i myself have a question regarding the powerbook (i'm giving a little background that i feel is needed to readers before talking about the apple)

I have previously owned 1 dell laptop and 1 desktop along with its accessories (pda, tv) and I liked them a lot.... that was until my laptop started shutting down due to overheating. After finding out it could be fixed with a software patch, i ended up having both fans on all the time at full speed to prevent shut down. A few months later, (just as I had finished transferring my files to the desktop and formatting) the laptops monitor went blank. I'm guessing its the video card but I need to get it checked.

I feel as if this is probably due to my graduate life where I would be taking that thing everywhere and it probably went through more abuse than it should have. That being the case, i've heard of cases where the laptops are giving issues post-2 years when the warranties expire (if u get 1yr extended).

now my desktop (less than 8months old) is giving me fan issues - luckily this time i'm within the 1 year warranty period.

Given all my problems with dell lately, i have been seriously contemplating getting an apple laptop. I saw the ibooks and though the price is great, they just dont feel as solid as I would like. Now the powerbooks feel REAL nice. Solid construction and durable (that and I really like the Tiger OS - longhorn is more than a year away so i cant bother waiting for it). I wanted to know what other people's opinion on the matter is. Is the durability of the powerbook worth the extra money over the ibooks? Also, i know the size of the 12'' makes it easy to carry but does anyone have experience with whether its more annoying having a smaller screen or not?

I have a 12" iBook, I wouldn't go for a 12" as my only computer - but it's great for uni - and then you can use your desktop at home.

The powerbooks look great - but the I think the iBooks are more scratch and dent resistant.
 
I have the 12" Powerbook and absolutely love it!

When Apple comes out with G5 Powerbooks (not for a while), I will still get a 12" if I ever upgrade. The 15 and especially the 17" Powerbooks are too big to lug around. The 12" weighs about 4 pounds and is very small. Powerbook displays are designed to be more rectangular than square like most other laptops. For that reason, you see a lot on your screen. You have to scroll down more though.

If you have an external monitor, you can hook it up to your Powerbook and use both at the same time -- as dual monitors... even if your second monitor is on a different resolution! I routinely hook my Powerbook up to my Viewsonic LCD. The Powerbook monitor remains on at 1024x768 at the same time the Viewsonic is on at 1280x1024. I can do my Photoshop work on the Viewsonic while having iChat or a web screen open on the Powerbook window, easily switching between the two by simply dragging the mouse over.

The battery life is good -- I get between 3-5 hours, depending on usage. One downfall is that batteries aren't hot swappable. The power adapter is very compact, unlike most other laptops.

If I had the choice again would I buy the same laptop? Absolutely! This is the best laptop I have ever owned. I needed something small because I travel a lot and wanted to take it to work very easily. I didn't need a large display for what I needed the laptop.

One other perk with the Powerbooks: you can get customized backpacks and messenger bags with slots that fit your Powerbook perfectly. Take a look at some of the Brenthaven bags. I have the Messenger 12 bag. It has a slot for my iPod, power adapter, business cards, and of course, a slot with the perfect size for my 12" Powerbook.
 
so which would u think would be a better investment - ibook or the powerbook (i have another computer so this doesnt have to be uber fast). I just would like something that isnt going to breakdown so fast
 
Hey all,
I'm just jumping in on this conversation. I'm also thinking of getting the 12" powerbook. I am so sick of Windows. My laptop right now (toshiba) also has an overheating problem. In fact, its been this way for about a year now. I have to be careful not to run too many programs at the same time or else it shuts off on me. For what its worth, I think I'll also get a separate monitor. The price difference between the 12" and 15" is about $300 for the ones I'd get, and that amount would easily buy a 17" screen--unless you really want that backlit keyboard, firewire 800, and s-video that come on the 15". Oh, be sure to get the student discount. It knocks off a few hundred. My only thing is do I wait and see if prices drop or new updates in the next two months?...or buy within the next 4 days and take advantage of an additional $30 off?
 
I second all the above with regard to Mac vs. PC. I got a Powerbook 12" back in January and LOVE it to death. My workplace just upgraded to the 3+ Ghz, 512MB, etc. Dell machines and they totally blow slothlike monkeys compared to the powerbook. So much more stable, all the microsoft programs are windoze compatible, the sleep mode is great, and the 12" size makes it so freaking portable that you barely even know you are carrying a laptop around. It's smaller and lighter than the recent American Journal of Transplantation abstract book that I had to drag back from Seattle last week.

On another note, just got a treo 650 with bluetooth...I think I'm all complete in the gadget world now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It needs to be June 6th already so I can go buy my lap top. I am HATING my stupid windows desktop. Which by the way is sitting in a corner of my bedroom @ the foot of my bed due to this whole cord/modem issue. 🙁 🙁

Yes, I'm being a baby & it's only been two weeks since it's been like this but I wanna a new lap top. Which by the way I'm still waiting for you Apple gurus to tell me it's OK to buy. 😀 So hurry up already! :laugh:
 
futuredocter said:
I was interested in buying an Apple powerbook this summer (August) before heading off to medical school. Does anyone know if apple is planning to revamp their powerbook between now and August or anytime after that. I just don't want to buy my powerbook and then have it be outdated in like a month or two. Also, does anyone have an idea as to when Apple will be installing G5 processors in their powerbooks? I am debating on whether to suck it up and wait. Any thoughts?

Your powerbook will not be outdated even if they make a new one. It just won't be as fast.

Apple has a history of offering education discounts and iPod discounts every Aug/Sept. Then in October they usually release a new model.

So, take advantage of the rebates.

The G5 processor will be faster in the powerbooks, but unless you are editing a feature length movie, it won't be a problem with a G4.
 
JobsFan said:
it's OK to buy.

feel better?


No, you all simultaneously said wait for 6/6 and see what happens so I'm waiting...as patiently as any girl can wait
 
adpitan said:
No, you all simultaneously said wait for 6/6 and see what happens so I'm waiting...as patiently as any girl can wait

OK sorry - I was trying to say that noone knows when updates will happen.
It's getting pretty close to 6/6 & you never know your luck so yeah - hang out for that.

More generally, if you are wondering when is a good time to buy apple stuff, you may find this helpful.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com
 
JobsFan said:
OK sorry - I was trying to say that noone knows when updates will happen.
It's getting pretty close to 6/6 & you never know your luck so yeah - hang out for that.

More generally, if you are wondering when is a good time to buy apple stuff, you may find this helpful.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com


Thanks! I will keep this link handy
 
adpitan said:
No, you all simultaneously said wait for 6/6 and see what happens so I'm waiting...as patiently as any girl can wait

wait for june 6 for apple to announce they're switching over to intel for their chips.
 
CanIMakeIt said:
Do you guys think there will be one more update forthcoming before Apple switches to Intel chips?c

I think there will be one small update before the intels chip Macs come out.

What I'm going to do is wait for the update, but then buy an older model (today's model) on sale for cheaper on the online Apple Store.

Everyone is saying that the PPC chips are obsolete now. This is not true, but then again, who cares? As long as it works for what you need, you are fine. However, I am going to want one of those Intel Macs in about 3 years (the first year or two may be buggy). So if I buy the latest and greatest update for over $2,000, I really can't justify getting a new Intel Mac in 3 years. But if I buy today's model for $1,500, then I can justify upgrading in 3 years.
 
kas23 said:
I think there will be one small update before the intels chip Macs come out.

What I'm going to do is wait for the update, but then buy an older model (today's model) on sale for cheaper on the online Apple Store.

Everyone is saying that the PPC chips are obsolete now. This is not true, but then again, who cares? As long as it works for what you need, you are fine. However, I am going to want one of those Intel Macs in about 3 years (the first year or two may be buggy). So if I buy the latest and greatest update for over $2,000, I really can't justify getting a new Intel Mac in 3 years. But if I buy today's model for $1,500, then I can justify upgrading in 3 years.

Sounds like a good plan 👍 - I'm going to keep my current iBook G4 800 until the intel macs are out for a year or so, the bugs are ironed out, and the software is all updated to run natively.

If I was in the market now - I'd buy cheap (perfect would be current iBooks when next speed bump announced).
 
Interesting thing is the article that was posted on the Apple website today. It was written by a Wall Street Journal journalist and was written to sound informative, but it read more like an advertisement to get people to still buy the Macs that are currently available. I'll post it below:
 
What the Apple Plan To Switch to Intel Chips Means for Consumers

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

The war in Iraq rages on, the European Union is fraying and North Korea may have nuclear weapons. But if you read the business and technology news this past week, all of that seemed to pale before an event variously described as seismic, epic and stunning: Apple Computer has decided to adopt processors made by Intel for its future Macintosh computers.

There's a reason this was big news in the computer world. For decades, Intel's chips have been tightly linked to the software of Apple's archrival, Microsoft, and Apple has touted as superior the IBM PowerPC chips that powered the Mac. Plus, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, probably the most charismatic business leader in America, attracts attention for anything he does, even though his Macintosh has a tiny share of the PC market.

But what does Apple's move mean for the average consumer, who just wants the best computer for the job?

In the long term, the change will strengthen Apple and the Mac, which is good news for anyone devoted to that platform or considering switching to it. That's because Intel's processors and other chips will give Apple more options than IBM's products could for building Macs that run faster and cooler, and have longer battery life. The first Intel-based Mac is due in spring 2006.

Even consumers who use Microsoft Windows, which runs on the vast majority of computers, will benefit, because the Mac's impact on the industry is vastly greater than its market share. Apple is the most innovative major computer maker, and the only one largely dedicated to serving consumers instead of large corporate customers. Almost everything it does is later copied by the Windows PC makers, so keeping Apple strong and innovating is good for Windows users, too.

In the short run, however, the chip changeover should make little difference to average consumers. For all but the techiest techies, changing the processor in these machines will be a nonevent, sort of like changing the engine in next year's Lexus cars. As long as the new engine is at least as fast and smooth as its predecessor, few drivers would notice or care.

What makes a Mac a Mac isn't the processor under the hood. It's Apple's elegant operating system, OS X, which won't see major changes for 18 months, and the company's stylish hardware designs, which it will continue to produce. When you peer at the screen of the first Intel-based Mac, it will look just like today's PowerPC Macs, only it should run faster.

Of course, if Apple fails to execute the switch well or the Intel processors don't meet expectations, the Mac could be in trouble. And users would lose if too many third-party software developers decline to spend the money and time to convert their products so they run on the Intel chips.

Here are answers to a few common questions I've received about the switch.

Should people hold off buying a Mac that uses the IBM PowerPC processor, which Apple will soon abandon, and wait for the new Intel Macs?

No. If you need a new computer and the Mac was the right choice for you last week, it's still the right choice. Today's PowerPC Macs are, in my view, the best consumer computers on the market, and Apple plans to roll out additional PowerPC models this year.

Plus, all new software for the Mac will continue to run on PowerPC models for at least a few more years, the likely life of any Mac you buy now. That's because Apple has created a tool for software developers that easily creates "universal" programs capable of being run on either the PowerPC or Intel models.

Now that Apple will be using the same processor as Dell, H-P and other competitors, will people be able to run the Mac operating system on these non-Apple machines?

Unless some hacker does a masterful job, the answer is no. Apple intends to keep its operating system and hardware tied tightly together. The new Intel-based versions of the Mac's OS X operating system will be designed so that they cannot run on non-Apple hardware, and Apple has no plans to license OS X to other PC makers.

Will users be able to install and run Microsoft Windows on the new Intel-based Macs?

Apple's official position is that it won't block the use of Windows on its new machines. Unofficially, however, the company says people won't be able to just buy a copy of Windows XP and install it on an Intel-based Mac. That's because Apple is unlikely to build in all the standard under-the-hood hardware pieces that Windows is designed to mate with. And it won't supply any special software called "drivers" to help Windows use the unique under-the-hood hardware Apple will use.

However, I expect some third-party company to supply the missing drivers and otherwise make it possible to run Windows on an Intel-based Mac. Microsoft itself might even do this. That would allow Mac users to run Windows programs that lack Mac equivalents at speeds comparable to a Windows computer's.

Will Mac prices fall due to the switch to Intel?

There's no way to tell now, but I doubt it. Apple's lower volumes, higher quality and unusual designs will likely keep it out of the very basement of the market.