Technology Apple Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

data

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are rumors that the new powerbook updates will be coming soon. When will Steve jobs place a decent video card in the 12"? I love the powerbook but thats the only thing i can't stand about this laptop.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an update:

Your powerbook will still have a crappy video card :laugh:

data said:
There are rumors that the new powerbook updates will be coming soon. When will Steve jobs place a decent video card in the 12"? I love the powerbook but thats the only thing i can't stand about this laptop.
What are you doing on a Powerbook that the choice of 3d hardware makes a difference? Thinksecret says no new Powerbook revisions until at least January. I think the limiting factor in the 12" Powerbook is heat. The more powerful 3d accelerators generate a considerable amount of heat, which the smaller Powerbooks may not be able to dissipate without frying your family jewels.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
Here's an update:

Your powerbook will still have a crappy video card :laugh:
I hope your dell doesn't fall apart on you. :p

Sessamoid said:
What are you doing on a Powerbook that the choice of 3d hardware makes a difference? Thinksecret says no new Powerbook revisions until at least January. I think the limiting factor in the 12" Powerbook is heat. The more powerful 3d accelerators generate a considerable amount of heat, which the smaller Powerbooks may not be able to dissipate without frying your family jewels.
Hmm I heard that there will be an update on 21st of sept.

data said:
Hmm I heard that there will be an update on 21st of sept.
As Sess pointed out, Think Secret is saying no new Powerbook updates for 2005. Of course, Think Secret has been wrong before.

I've always seen people have a religious following to Macs once they use them, but never have I seen someone religiously follow Windoze computers. sunny is the first person I've ever known of to be in love with a Windoze machine. He's the biggest anti-Apple person I have ever seen.

southerndoc said:
As Sess pointed out, Think Secret is saying no new Powerbook updates for 2005. Of course, Think Secret has been wrong before.

I've always seen people have a religious following to Macs once they use them, but never have I seen someone religiously follow Windoze computers. sunny is the first person I've ever known of to be in love with a Windoze machine. He's the biggest anti-Apple person I have ever seen.
After being forced to use'em for four years in high school, I threw my hands up in the air, and yelled: WHY!!!!!!

:D

data said:
I hope your dell doesn't fall apart on you. :p
Excuse me? You were the one who picked that model and exclaimed: ohhh, the 9300 is sooo wicked man!!

southerndoc said:
What Macs were you using in high school? Was OS X around then? (Not sure how old you are.)
We were using these:

Power Macs
5200.gif

Then switched over to the iMac in 1999

We used this OS:
0308111-6.jpg

pip_os8.jpg

I still have nightmares using this system. Too many crashes, and doing ANY digital work on these monsters was torture.

That's equivalent to Windows 3.1.

Try Mac OS X. Spend some time with it and see if you think it's unstable. It's also more user friendly than previous Mac OS's.

Seriously, give it a try. I was a devoted Windows user until I actually tried Mac OS X. Like you, I hated Mac OS 8 and 9.

southerndoc said:
That's equivalent to Windows 3.1.

Try Mac OS X. Spend some time with it and see if you think it's unstable. It's also more user friendly than previous Mac OS's.

Seriously, give it a try. I was a devoted Windows user until I actually tried Mac OS X. Like you, I hated Mac OS 8 and 9.
Same here. I've been using computers since timesharing on a PDP-11, Apple II, IBM and MS-DOS, and Windows since Windows 2.0 (boy was that an ugly POS). I first added an iBook when OS X started to look mature, and eventually completely switched to a dual G5 Powermac. It's got a BSD Unix core underneath, so stability is no longer an issue at all.

I tried OS 7, 8, and 9. While fun, it was useless for anything meaningful, except printshop. (Although Sad Macing the system was fun :smuggrin: )

I tried OS X a bunch of times, and I still don't like it, although I think it's better than any of the previous Apple OS's. The only thing I think its good for is surfing the web in a very safe fashion, since hardly anything can infect a Mac.

I liked DOS 5.0 and 6.2. 6.0, 6.21 and above were crap.

All the versions of Windows before 3.0 sucked. It wasn’t evident how much 3.0 sucked, until 3.1 came out. Windows 3.11 was the ultimate DOS GUI

(Note: All windows before Windows 98 were not OS’s, just nice GUI’s for DOS [Whichever flavor you loved best]. Some would argue that Windows 95 was an OS not a DOS GUI, but I disagree since the Windows 95 GUI was basically just glued onto DOS 7.0)

Windows 95 was interesting, but so full of bugs you basically had to fumigate your system, and it loved to crash. This was finally fixed for the most part by Windows 98 SE, which was a great OS. Windows 2000, while not a mainstream consumer OS, was user friendly and rather stable, but not quite on the same level as XP. Windows ME was total crap.

XP is the best windows to date, very stable, and very user friendly.

Give me XP any day :thumbup:

sunny123 said:
Excuse me? You were the one who picked that model and exclaimed: ohhh, the 9300 is sooo wicked man!!
What are you talking about? STOP MISQUOTING PEOPLE. Stop pulling an awar and talking out of your mohans bhatt.

sunny123 said:
We were using these:

Power Macs

Then switched over to the iMac in 1999

We used this OS

I still have nightmares using this system. Too many crashes, and doing ANY digital work on these monsters was torture.
what digital work playing number munchers?
28screen3.jpg

NUMBER MUNCHERS RULE

data said:
What are you talking about? STOP MISQUOTING PEOPLE. Stop pulling an awar and talking out of your mohans bhatt.
No no no.. WHAT are YOU talking about willis?? Who was the one that came back from class and started raving "Ohh man, this guy beside me had a dell, and it was beautiful!! I asked him if it was a 9300, and he said yes. The screen was a-mazing."

Stick with an Asus, and you'll be fine.

BTW, Sony came out with their new TX series:
6780.jpg

The Sony VAIO TX is Sony's latest ultraportable release and will replace the current VAIO T series. Sony's newest 11.1" XBrite widescreen feather-weight PC contender combines no-nonsense business functionality and a fashion-forward physique. The VAIO TX notebook packs wireless WAN connectivity via the Cingular EDGE network, entertainment playback and a white LED display into a slick carbon fiber casing that weighs no more than three pounds.

The carbon fiber chassis of the TX notebook line lends not only lightweight durability but head-turning elegance to this ultra-portable companion. LED backlight technology and newly designed display circuitry gives it a razor thin profile. At 2.8-pounds and less than 1-inch thin, this notebook will slide unobtrusively into your carry-on bag for comfortable computing whether you fly first class or coach.

"Sony pioneered the exploration of ultra-light materials such as magnesium and carbon for PC casings and ultra-slim components, as well forward-thinking technology such as integrated wireless WAN to create notebooks that are a joy to carry and add value to your life," said Mike Abary, vice president of VAIO product marketing for Sony Electronics in the U.S.

Sony VAIO TX notebooks will be widely available later this month in charcoal without WWAN starting at about $2,250 and next month with WWAN for about $2,300. Exclusive colors platinum and slate blue can be purchased online at www.sonystyle.com or at SonyStyle stores in select fashion malls around the country.

southerndoc said:
That's a nice looking laptop.

Still prefer the sexiness that is the Powerbook though. :)
I'd have to side with you on this one, as you can get a 12" powerbook, for a lot less, but slightly higher specs.

southerndoc said:
How much is that Vaio? I didn't think it would be that expensive.

Sunny we're gonna switch you to Macs before you finish medical school. :p
About 2400USD, and I'll wreak havoc on the day I make a powerbook purchase :smuggrin:

southerndoc said:
How much is that Vaio? I didn't think it would be that expensive.

Sunny we're gonna switch you to Macs before you finish medical school. :p
Carbon fiber isn't cheap, especially these days. There's been a worldwide shortage of carbon fiber as some of the American military contractors have been buying the raw materials in massive quantities since Iraq. Plus, Sony's aren't cheap anyway.

It's a nice looking laptop, but god forbid you should ever need any help from Sony's customer service.