Apple watch at interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaya97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on not bringing my phone with me to my interviews, but I was going to get the new apple and bring that instead. Do you think having the apple watch during an interview might look unprofessional or am I overthinking it?

I was just wondering since it's pretty much like another phone now. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as its not an eye-blinding color like your SDN avatar, i think ur fine

Reactions: 24 users
Apple watch is completely fine. They most likely will not even notice it unless you're messing with it. Make sure to turn the sound notifications off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on not bringing my phone with me to my interviews, but I was going to get the new apple and bring that instead. Do you think having the apple watch during an interview might look unprofessional or am I overthinking it?

Put it on Movie Theatre mode so that it only turns the screen on when you tap the screen. You don't want the watch face turning on due to an accidental movement during your interview

Reactions: 1 users
I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like you're getting it to only use for interviews so that you don't have to bring your phone. If that's the case know that when your phone is like 50+ feet away it is no longer paired with the watch so you won't get any of your notifications. Not that you should be worried about them at an interview anyway lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I don't think it should be a problem as long as it doesn't go off during the interview. I thought about bringing mine but just ended up wearing traditional watches instead.

I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like you're getting the apple watch to only use for interviews so that you don't have to bring your phone. If that's the case know that when your phone is like 50+ feet away it is no longer paired with the watch so you won't get any of your notifications. Not that you should be worried about them at an interview anyway lol

New Apple Watch has cellular

I wore one and just got a nicer band for it. Just be subtle!

Thanks for the responses! I guess I'll be bringing it with me :)
As long as its not an eye-blinding color like your SDN avatar, i think ur fine
Good thing I'm getting the black one. :p
I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like you're getting the apple watch to only use for interviews so that you don't have to bring your phone. If that's the case know that when your phone is like 50+ feet away it is no longer paired with the watch so you won't get any of your notifications. Not that you should be worried about them at an interview anyway lol
No. lol I'm not going to buy a $400+ watch just for interviews.

y'all are overthinking it. No harm in bringing your phone as long as you either turn it off or silence it completely. No harm in an apple watch as long as it doesn't negatively impact your interview attire. They are fairly common these days so even if the screen lights up during the interview, it's not a problem unless you are messing with it or you have to decline a call or something.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'd leave it off and wear something more classic like a brown or black leather or metal watch. It's not gonna hurt you either way, just personal preference.

I've worn mine to all my interviews so far!

Probably a silly question but do you think it would be okay to wear a brown leather band with my apple watch when I am wearing a grey suit and black shoes? I wish I had a black leather band but I don't and I would like to wear my watch so I don't need my phone to check the time.

Probably a silly question but do you think it would be okay to wear a brown leather band with my apple watch when I am wearing a grey suit and black shoes? I wish I had a black leather band but I don't and I would like to wear my watch so I don't need my phone to check the time.
I try to match my leathers as often as possible, but it really isn't a huge deal at all.

I wouldn't worry about that, frankly.

FWIW, I was able to get a nice stainless steel link band for my Apple Watch from a Groupon deal for like $35 bucks and I have gotten plenty of compliments on it.

After my first interview I realized that it literally does not matter what you wear. I mean it matters, but not to the extent that everyone thinks it does on this website lol. As long as you blend in with typical professional business attire, you're fine. It's about making sure you don't stand out. Phones are totally fine too, as long as you aren't playing with it the whole time

Doesn't matter.

For the price of that Apple Watch you could get a decent mechanical watch though... something like a Hamilton, Citizen Eco Drive, or Seiko Core. It'd look even cooler.

Doesn't matter.

For the price of that Apple Watch you could get a decent mechanical watch though... something like a Hamilton, Citizen Eco Drive, or Seiko Core. It'd look even cooler.

With not as much utility. If I wanted to make a fashion statement, I'd buy an expensive mechanical watch, but I prefer having something more useful

I would say it's fine as long as you don't look at it. Nothing more rude than someone looking at their iwatch all day. I don't think people realize how often they look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would say it's fine as long as you don't look at it. Nothing more rude than someone looking at their iwatch all day. I don't think people realize how often they look at it.

Yeah it's so rude when people use their watch to see what time it is

Yeah it's so rude when people use their watch to see what time it is

If you were communicating with someone and they took their phone out every time it vibrated, would you not find that rude? It's the same thing when someone is compulsively looking at their Apple Watch every time they get a notification.

Do you often find yourself repetitively checking the time while in conversation? Maybe cut back on the caffeine so you can focus on the task at hand.

With not as much utility. If I wanted to make a fashion statement, I'd buy an expensive mechanical watch, but I prefer having something more useful

I'm curious if smartwatches that much more useful? Not sure if you have one. I feel like people are glued to their phones so much that having a watch that does the same thing is kind of pointless.

I think mechanical watches look a lot better with dress clothes like the OP is wearing to their interview, but I guess if they don't have their phone during the interview it would serve a purpose.

I think you're fine wearing an Apple Watch as long as you have a nice leather or metal band on it. I personally have my sport band that I wear on the regular and a nice silver band that I wear whenever I dress up. But it's hard for me to go back to my traditional watch after having the Apple Watch for so long. Like mentioned before, you should probably have it on theater mode or do not disturb though.

My interviewer was actually wearing one. I didn't wear a watch to interviews myself.

I'm curious if smartwatches that much more useful? Not sure if you have one. I feel like people are glued to their phones so much that having a watch that does the same thing is kind of pointless.

I think mechanical watches look a lot better with dress clothes like the OP is wearing to their interview, but I guess if they don't have their phone during the interview it would serve a purpose.

Yeah I have an Apple Watch. Its utility for me as a student can be divided into two categories

1. Productivity
2. Health

Smartphones are a huge distraction. I can't talk for others, but if I have my phone in sight or in hand, I always have the urge to use it and web browse or check social media. The number of hours of distraction from studying in undergrad because of my phone is countless. Having the watch allows me to stow away my phone in my backpack while studying without having to worry about missing a call from family or anything of that sort. I'll still get notifications, but I won't be tempted to respond to them unless they're urgent because it's so inconvenient/impossible to send messages, view snapchats, etc from the watch.

I also create a calendar for every single class of the semester that will have my schedule for the day (since the schedule is very variable day to day) and any special lunch and learns or appointments/etc I may have. I hate having notifications for individual events (especially classes), but it can be inconvenient to have to find them on the calendar of your phone. On my watch, one glance will show me exactly what's coming up next and allows me to have less face time with my phone

I'm also pretty big on health and fitness and the Watch has been a god-send for me. There are some really amazing apps that make having set workouts for each day really easy and lets me leave my phone in a locker (it's a 7 Plus so kinda cumbersome to carry around) and just listen to music via Bluetooth headphones. Dental school is kinda a sedentary lifestyle. I spend most of my time sitting so having notifications to tell me to take a break and stand up for a minute is nice to have and the activity rings are a surprisingly great way to keep me motivated.

Just like fancy mechanical watches, smart watches are a luxury item. I could live without it. But I'm very happy I do have one because it truly does make my life easier and keeps me unshackled from my phone.

And honestly, while an Apple Watch is never going to look as nice as a mechanical watch, there are some really great bands that you can get that really improve the looks of it.

Reactions: 3 users
I would not wear a Apple watch to a interview, in a growing number of companies, they are being turned off whilst at work to put them inline with a mobile phone. If the company has a policy of a mobile phone turned off and the watch pops up a message in the interview, you might not give the right image about yourself.

You are best to either:
- take it off and wear a watch that is more suitable with a suit, as alot of smart watches do not work very well with a suit.
OR
- turn it off so no chance of messages popping up, even if you have the connection turned off and it flashes with the time, it might come across as you are more interested in your personal life then work life

i work in recruitment, i interview alot of people every day

I would not wear a Apple watch to a interview, in a growing number of companies, they are being turned off whilst at work to put them inline with a mobile phone. If the company has a policy of a mobile phone turned off and the watch pops up a message in the interview, you might not give the right image about yourself.

You are best to either:
- take it off and wear a watch that is more suitable with a suit, as alot of smart watches do not work very well with a suit.
OR
- turn it off so no chance of messages popping up, even if you have the connection turned off and it flashes with the time, it might come across as you are more interested in your personal life then work life

i work in recruitment, i interview alot of people every day
Ended up wearing it to 6 interviews and got into 5 schools with scholarships so I don’t really think it matters.

Ended up wearing it to 6 interviews and got into 5 schools with scholarships so I don’t really think it matters.
I wore them to all my interviews as well and got accepted. I just put it on "do not disturb/airplane" mode, so that it didn't go off during the interview day.

I don't think it matters, and plenty of people at my interviews were playing with their phones during downtime.

That said, I think it's a better idea to not wear one and to turn your phone completely off.

You're spending hundreds of dollars to visit this school, just be present in the moment & talk to the other interviewees!