Applicant needing some real guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

omgwtfbbq?

yes, really, I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Residents, I have a question about PM&R. I'm working on my 4th year schedule and facing what to do as a specialty. I have always had a special interest in musculoskeletal disorders (especially collagen spectrum problems) and want to find out some more about PM&R. I have also considered EM with a sports medicine fellowship afterwards, but am not interested in ortho surgery. I have not connected with any of my 3rd year clerkships and I also have one other concern... i am a very hard worker, but after a bad accident I have a lot of muscle and nerve pain that is made much, much worse by lack of sleep. I understand that residency is difficult, but need to find a residency that isn't going to kill me with call. I can move around enough to be quite active, as long as I can sit and take little breaks, so i'm not out of the game in that respect, but being able to live a life that isn't going to cause me excessive pain is very important to me, and important to my mindset, especially when dealing with patients

How realistic is PM&R for that kind of goal? What is the residency like? My school doesn't have a program, and so you are the only way I can learn about it. What do you like and what don't you like? What are the jobs like afterwards?

I hope to hear both the good and the bad. I feel like having a medical specialty that I connect to both intellectually and personally would be a boon.

Thanks, everybody
 
Hi Residents, I have a question about PM&R. I'm working on my 4th year schedule and facing what to do as a specialty. I have always had a special interest in musculoskeletal disorders (especially collagen spectrum problems) and want to find out some more about PM&R. I have also considered EM with a sports medicine fellowship afterwards, but am not interested in ortho surgery. I have not connected with any of my 3rd year clerkships and I also have one other concern... i am a very hard worker, but after a bad accident I have a lot of muscle and nerve pain that is made much, much worse by lack of sleep. I understand that residency is difficult, but need to find a residency that isn't going to kill me with call. I can move around enough to be quite active, as long as I can sit and take little breaks, so i'm not out of the game in that respect, but being able to live a life that isn't going to cause me excessive pain is very important to me, and important to my mindset, especially when dealing with patients

How realistic is PM&R for that kind of goal? What is the residency like? My school doesn't have a program, and so you are the only way I can learn about it. What do you like and what don't you like? What are the jobs like afterwards?

I hope to hear both the good and the bad. I feel like having a medical specialty that I connect to both intellectually and personally would be a boon.

Thanks, everybody


Welcome! You have found a new home! In fact, it sounds like an excellent match for your situation and goals.

PM&R would be very realistic for you, and assuming you are not a crazy chronic pain patient, but a sane one, you'll be able to relate to many of the patients very well.

PM&R is very lifestyle-conducive. Your hours after residency can be as much or as little as you want. Residency is not time-intensive compared with other specialties, and many of your med school rotations (surgery, e.g.) are likely more time-intensive.

You will need to find a PM&R rotation during your 4th year. Without one and w/o a LOR from a Physiatrist you have worked with your chances are greatly diminished. You will also want to do a rotation to see if that is what you want to do. Make sure you get exposed to the inpatient and outpatient aspects of PM&R.
 
PM&R certainly sounds like it matches your intellectual interests. The residency and on-call demands are not that strenuous (depends on whether or not you’re a black cloud). You’ll have to endure a prelim year though, and internship is tough no matter where you go/what you do. I echo the above in getting early fourth year away PM&R rotations scheduled, gaining first hand experience, LORs, etc.

Good luck. We’re here to help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much for the responses guys, they're encouraging.
For the first poster, ha , no i'm not a crazy chronic pain patient, In fact i'm much much better than I used to be, able to walk around for general hospital errands without feeling like every step is misery (Which it used to be).
But i do know how the patients feel, so i hope that will be a step. I'm putting my schedule together now and there's a pmr rotation with a local outpatient group-- do you think that will do?

As for the prelim year, is it a medicine prelim or a transitional year? i'm just starting to learn the specifics.
 
I'm putting my schedule together now and there's a pmr rotation with a local outpatient group-- do you think that will do?

It’s a start. In general, the more rehab experience you bring to interviews, the more competitive you’ll be.

As for the prelim year, is it a medicine prelim or a transitional year? i'm just starting to learn the specifics.

Either. Could also be prelim surgery, but I don’t think you’d like that.

Most PM&R programs are three years, starting at the PGY2 year (advanced), and thus require a prelim or transitional year. There are some four-year programs (categorical) where the prelim year is integrated into the curriculum. Might do some PM&R rotations during the first year, might not depending on the program. Some institutions offer both advanced and categorical options. Simple really.