applicant on student visa need advice on admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnleaves

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a third year planning on applying to medical school. My GPA is 3.62, MCAT score 32N, pretty good extra currilar activities, but here's the catch: i'm on student visa, so I do not have a green card (but I went to college in the US). What are my chances of admission in the US? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the exact same boat. Apparently, the chances of getting into a state school in the US are very difficult unless of course you can provide tuition up front. Some state schools require one year of tuition up front, others require 4 years. If you are anything like any other normal individual, this is insane and so the next best bet is private schools. With your stats, you should have a fairly good shot at getting into at least one or two schools. I heard somewhere that approx. 190 internationals (without green cards) get into US schools every year. These are tough stats but not impossible. There are loads of other options though, Ross University in the Carribean, Australian med schools and Do schools here. You could always marry an American :)

I think things tend to be so difficult because as far as I know internationals cannot apply for federal loans and so state schools worry where funding will come from. Where are you from? Some Canadians tend to get in a little easier just because they can get the loans. Have you thought about where the funding will come from?

I am actually a Canadian citizen.. so I hope that helps. I am really frustrated at this situation because I have always been so set on going into the medical field, and now, there is a HUGE bump in the road. WHere are you from and how are you dealing with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am a Brazilian citizen, no green card and applied this year and got into Columbia and Tulane. The process is difficult but not impossible, and with good letters and good stats, very feasible. Lotrfan, not to question your sources, but 190 sounds WAAAYYYY off for non green card holders, that is a whole class and given that the best shot we have are at private institutions, and that there seems to be between 3-4 a class in those schools, the total should not be greater than 100, if that.

Autumnleaves, do not take this as a "HUGE bump in the road" to your medical career. If you are truly motivated and committed to this profession, you will get in, either in the US or in Canada, and things will work out for you.

Regarding the actual process, I think the only difference between me and my American counterparts was the number of schools I ended up applying to and the number of interviews that I got. I applied to 17 schools (I initially had 30 but tried to narrow it down to schools that I would attend if admitted) and only got 3 interviews. If I were an American citizen I would add at least 7 interviews to my 3, totalling 10. The truth is that I applied to a lot of schools that didn't give me the time of day because I was not a green card holder (these schools are usually heavily funded by the state, not necessarily a state school, a good example is Jefferson).

In the end, my international background helped at Columbia, and I don't think it either helped or hurt me at Tulane. By the way, Tulane is an international friendly school that everyone should apply to (an awesome school too, with a program in International Medicine and all).

Med school apps are the luck of the draw. Do your part, get good recommendation letters from people who know you, apply early - take a year off if needed to improve research skills or to solidify your commitment to medicine - then cross your fingers, send thank you notes and wait. Once your part is done, it is up to them to accept you or reject you based on or not on the fact that you are not American, there is nothing that you can do about it ;) An interesting thing to keep in mind is that usually the schools that take internationals are building their overseas reputation, forming "leaders in medicine," it is important to realize that in the beginning, it is a good clue on how to decide which schools will be receptive to you or not. If a school's mission is to form doctors who will work primarily in rural areas of their state: SAVE MONEY, DO NOT APPLY! I wish you all luck!!

Hi IntlMD07,

If you don't mind, would you mind telling me what your stats were? (GPA and MCAT) THanks!

~Adele

As a Canadian who is doing med school in the US, I can tell you that you are not in the least bit at a disadvantage at many of the private medical schools. I did my undergrad in Canada and most private US medical schools when they say if ur a foreigner u need to at least have done 1 year of education in the US (they ALL accept Canadian universities as satisfying this requirement). Since you went to a US school, I can say w/o a doubt that u have the same odds as any US citizen or permanent resdident...u will go onan F-1 visa (which i assume u ron now). For Canadians who didn't go to the top Canadian universities such as U of Toronto and McGill, you will be at a disadvantage b/c the schools that accept Canadians tend to be the better schools, and as such look at the quality of ur undergrad - and the only 2 schools that have such a name are the ones i just mentioned. I knonw that McGill has a fantastic name at the top US med schools - in fact u will find a McGill grad in every yr at Columbia, yale, duke. stanford has a mcgill grad, etc... u will have many options when applying to med school in the US as a canadian but , again, the schools that accept canadians are the better private med schools ..ur stats are borderline but very doable...i had a 30mcat and got into a top 15 school. if u apply to about 17 schools , i have no doubt u will be accepted.

Gertie, do you mind telling me what med school you are at? I'm a Canadian looking to apply to med school..... :) Also, do you know of any non-ivy's that are Canadian friendly?

Originally posted by piotr13
Gertie, do you mind telling me what med school you are at? I'm a Canadian looking to apply to med school..... :) Also, do you know of any non-ivy's that are Canadian friendly?

I know a couple UBC'ers in the US for med school right now. They got into Yale, Wash U in St. Louis, Vandy, Penn, Mount Sinai, etc.

Plenty of non-ivy's are canadian friendly.

Just to encourage all fellow foreign students applying to med school: I'm applying as an Australian citizen with no green card, and I've got 3 interviews offers so far: Vanderbilt (Tennesse), U of Chicago (Illinois) and Jefferson (Pennsylvania)

The former 2 schools are great schools, and Jefferson's not bad either. I think the key is to really build up a strong med school application and to apply early.

I applied to 24 schools and have got back secondaries from all those that screen. I'm hoping to get more interviews in the next month or so :)

BTW, Yale's admission told me that it doesn't use citizenship status as a factor in admission. Stanford posted on its website that citizenship status is not an admission factor either. I believe Jefferson also has the same policy as I remember reading it on the website.

Just to encourage all fellow foreign students applying to med school: I'm applying as an Australian citizen with no green card, and I've got 3 interviews offers so far: Vanderbilt (Tennesse), U of Chicago (Illinois) and Jefferson (Pennsylvania)

The former 2 schools are great schools, and Jefferson's not bad either. I think the key is to really build up a strong med school application and to apply early.

I applied to 24 schools and have got back secondaries from all those that screen. I'm hoping to get more interviews in the next month or so :)

BTW, Yale's admission told me that it doesn't use citizenship status as a factor in admission. Stanford posted on its website that citizenship status is not an admission factor either. I believe Jefferson also has the same policy as I remember reading it on the website.
Hi There just wondering if you did any course work in the US and what was your MCAT score? I’m also an Australian :)

Hi There just wondering if you did any course work in the US and what was your MCAT score? I’m also an Australian :)
He hasn't been here in over a decade and there have a lot of changes since 2003...

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.