Applicants to Canadian Programs - 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeycomb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and happy to have found a community of like-minded people going through the same challenges!

I see there is an active thread about Clinical Psych programs in the United States. I wasn't able to find a thread about applicants to Canadian programs for 2011. Are there any of you applying to Canadian programs? If so, where are you applying? And have you heard of any interview invites?

I am applying to Queen's, Waterloo, York, Ryerson, UBC and McGill.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes we do exist... it's a little quiet this year, but we usually just keep Canadian discussions in the other thread.

Applied to: UofT (MA+PHD), Ryerson (clin/psy science), Concordia (clin), York (clin), and Waterloo (clin/cogn science).
No interview invites yet, but it's pretty early for Canadian schools. But you might hear soon - majority done late Jan/early Feb.

Yes, I think posts about invites to Canadian schools will be posted to the large invite thread.

I'm applying to SFU, UBC, UVic, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Waterloo, Windsor, Guelph and Western Ontario.

I haven't heard anything, but not all deadlines have passed yet either. Some schools' deadlines aren't until Jan 15. And lots had their deadlines yesterday, so I think it will be a few weeks still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great!
I'm applying to Windsor, York, Western, Concordia, Memorial, Dalhousie, Lakehead and Queens. All for clinical psychology.
I'll keep an eye out for this thread in the next few months as interviews begin.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if University of British Columbia does a clinical interview? It isn't mentioned anywhere on their admissions site nor in their psych department info? Just curious. Thanks.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if University of British Columbia does a clinical interview? It isn't mentioned anywhere on their admissions site nor in their psych department info? Just curious. Thanks.

When I applied two years ago, this was at the discretion of the prof. The prof I would have been working with (had I accepted the offer), called me for a phone interview and then sent an acceptance email. I think this is fairly typical.

FYI clinical interviews at Western are on February 11th

I noticed on gradcafe that Queen's already sent out invites.

Still waiting on the other Canadian schools...

You will most likely hear at the end of Jan/ beginning of Feb for most Canadian schools. If you don't hear by reading week, email the assistants and ask if you are on the short list. If you haven't made the short list you still CAN make it in if the professor does not find another feasible candidate. I would suggest emailing the prof at the beginning of March just in case if you haven't heard. Someone did get in this way last year.

I got into a couple of the programs mentioned in the past couple years if you have any questions.

For those that did get in, make sure you REALLY prepare for the interview- make a list of questions you think you will be asked and have answers ready. Also make sure you have specific questions ready for the prof. This may sound redundant, but I was shocked when I met others at interviews who didn't do this.

so no one's heard much of anything yet, eh?

I've heard from UofT, but that's it.

Nope. UBC's deadline was this past Saturday, so I think it is still early.

FYI clinical interviews at Western are on February 11th

Did you or someone you know receive an invitation? Or is this because you work at Western and so you're aware of the date chosen.

heads up: someone posted an interview notice for Waterloo on thegradcafe... (not me) :S

Members don't see this ad :)
^ no, no, i didn't apply there. OISE usually responds VERY late... like March, sometimes April.

I just received interview invites for Waterloo, Queen's and Ryerson in the last few days. I am so surprised and overwhelmed but happy. They were all through email from the individual POI's, so I'm thinking there isn't a set schedule for when interview invites go out. Although at Queen's, they said there will be an open house sometime in early February.

I just received interview invites for Waterloo, Queen's and Ryerson in the last few days. I am so surprised and overwhelmed but happy. They were all through email from the individual POI's, so I'm thinking there isn't a set schedule for when interview invites go out. Although at Queen's, they said there will be an open house sometime in early February.

Would you mind PMing me your POI for Queens?
Thanks!

Friend of a friend got an invite to University of Calgary.

Bad news - first official rejection from Queen's. But I appreciate the prompt notification.

Good news - in-person interview with McGill later this month.

Any word on waterloo or western?
I haven't heard from Queen's either way... Although my hopes weren't high anyway.

I haven't heard from Queen's either way... Although my hopes weren't high anyway.

It looks like Western sent out invites yesterday.

I haven't received anything from anywhere, so it looks like I'm out for this year :(

^^ no way, it's only Feb 1st.

Western is really hard to get into, I've already applied there 2 years in a row. I gave up this year because it's mostly based on marks.

I was rejected from Queen's last week after a phone interview.

As for Waterloo, I had a phone interview last week. My POI contacted me, so I think when invites go out depends on the individual POI. They are inviting the final group of applicants for in-person interviews later in Feb.

It is still early for most Canadian schools, so we should stay positive! (as brutal as this process is...)

I applied to York, Saskatchewan, Simon Fraser, and McGill. I received an interview invite for Simon Fraser last week, but haven't heard from any of the other programs.

I was rejected from Queen's last week after a phone interview.

As for Waterloo, I had a phone interview last week. My POI contacted me, so I think when invites go out depends on the individual POI. They are inviting the final group of applicants for in-person interviews later in Feb.

It is still early for most Canadian schools, so we should stay positive! (as brutal as this process is...)

Do you really think it's still early? I know, Sask, Guelph, SFU, Western, and Waterloo have given invites for interviews. So I figure since I didn't get any interviews for those schools I'm not getting in there, and it certainly doesn't look good for other schools (based on the fact that I've received no invites). It would be nice if it was still too early to tell, and that there could still be hope.

But I guess I'm trying to be realistic to prevent even more disappointment than I'm already experiencing, even though I'm pretty upset already. Sorry to be such a downer! If there is still hope cause it's early, then that is good. I just wish when they sent out invites and they knew you were rejected they would send reject notices out at the same time.

Do you really think it's still early? I know, Sask, Guelph, SFU, Western, and Waterloo have given invites for interviews. So I figure since I didn't get any interviews for those schools I'm not getting in there, and it certainly doesn't look good for other schools (based on the fact that I've received no invites). It would be nice if it was still too early to tell, and that there could still be hope.
It might even be too early to assume you're out of the running at those programs, depending on whether they send out invites all at once or individually (it sounds like Waterloo does this, at least).

I just got a letter from York asking for me to resend a transcript. It was a typed letter... and Saskatchewan lost my GRE scores and a rec. letter which they emailed me about last week. So unless they wait until your app is complete before officially rejecting you (seems kinda cruel), those schools must still be reviewing...

Guelph is down to the last 20...

I just got a letter from York asking for me to resend a transcript. It was a typed letter... and Saskatchewan lost my GRE scores and a rec. letter which they emailed me about last week. So unless they wait until your app is complete before officially rejecting you (seems kinda cruel), those schools must still be reviewing...

What do you mean last 20?

I e-mailed Guelph today to ask about my status, but haven't heard back yet.

They sent out invitations to interview, two days, approx. 20 people... I am just assuming those are the top 20...But they may hold more if they aren't happy with them... Who knows... I figure they don't reject people right away because they want to keep their options open...

I just got invited last week for an interview at Ryerson (clinicial)

That stinks about Western. I've heard they focus more on grades before too.
So thats my first unofficial rejection, but I also got an interview invitation for York's Clinical Developmental program today so it doesn't hurt as much as it could have. York's open house is scheduled for February 14th. My POI emailed me so each POI may be doing this on their own schedule.

Congratulations to all with invites! The Canadian schools are finally getting in gear with the application process.

Has anyone heard from the York Adult Clinical program?

That stinks about Western. I've heard they focus more on grades before too.
So thats my first unofficial rejection, but I also got an interview invitation for York's Clinical Developmental program today so it doesn't hurt as much as it could have. York's open house is scheduled for February 14th. My POI emailed me so each POI may be doing this on their own schedule.

Congrats!
Would you mine PMing me your POI?

i got an email from York saying my GRE scores are missing... I did order them, but I guess I should send them again.

i got an email from York saying my GRE scores are missing... I did order them, but I guess I should send them again.

See if you can email/fax them a copy of your GRE scores, in the meantime as they're waiting for the official ones to come in. I know it can take a week or two to receive them from ETS. This is what I did for two schools that were missing my GRE scores even though I had sent them.

FYI - Ryerson is conducting interviews now (through individual POI's) but they have set an internal deadline of Feb 14 for making final admission offers.

See if you can email/fax them a copy of your GRE scores, in the meantime as they're waiting for the official ones to come in. I know it can take a week or two to receive them from ETS. This is what I did for two schools that were missing my GRE scores even though I had sent them.

oh I already included an unofficial photocopy... just the hassle of calling ETS, sigh.

Anyone else apply to Dalhousie..heard anything..know anything?

Online mine says decision made..not sure if I can assume that to be a rejection and just have to wait for the letter in the mail - or does anyone know if this still could be good news?

FYI - Ryerson is conducting interviews now (through individual POI's) but they have set an internal deadline of Feb 14 for making final admission offers.

Hey, where did you find out this info? I got an interview invite early this week, and my POI asked me to meet with her on Feb 17/18... Seems kind of strange...

Hey, where did you find out this info? I got an interview invite early this week, and my POI asked me to meet with her on Feb 17/18... Seems kind of strange...

Hm. That is strange. This is just what I was told by my POI in the interview. I guess it is a flexible deadline.

Anyone else apply to Dalhousie..heard anything..know anything?

Online mine says decision made..not sure if I can assume that to be a rejection and just have to wait for the letter in the mail - or does anyone know if this still could be good news?

A friend got into Dalhousie. But I don't know what that means for you.

How's everyone doing this week.

Kinda disappointed that I haven't yet heard from Ryerson or Waterloo.

It is quiet on the homefront...

The waiting is mentally draining. This is the worst part of the whole application process, no doubt.

Has anyone heard anything from UBC?

I am still waiting to here from UBC as well.

It is quiet on the homefront...

The waiting is mentally draining. This is the worst part of the whole application process, no doubt.

Has anyone heard anything from UBC?

Hi all :)

I'm new to the forum - I'll admit that discovering this site has led to a couple panic crises, haha. I applied to clinical psych at McGill, Concordia, Queen's, U of Toronto, U of Ottawa and U of Montreal.

I had an interview last week with my POI at McGill, apparently I'll know in a month if I'm in or not. Other than that... haven't heard anything - is that normal?