Applicants. What are the worst/most shocking questions interviewers have asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my interviewers asked me if I'd ever been sexually harassed. It was out of the blue, too.
That's pretty close to crossing a red line. How did that question make you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Got asked recently if I had PTSD and if I thought what was happening in the middle east was murder. There was no lead into this subject and its not in the app because I don't have it. Had forms of this brought up multiple times in the past so I'm more than comfortable talking about how PTSD impacts vets and I know much more than most people about the history of the region and how it has impacted the people from there or who are sent there. So I felt fine answering it.
Was then asked if I would bomb a terrorist camp if there was a 25% chance it was a civilian compound/ 75% purely military, but it is believed to be the source of an attack that would kill a hundred people the next day.
The guy seemed to watch a few too many action movies/tried to rattle me.

Also got asked if I take steroids, I said no and "Thanks, I think?"

• Wow
Also got asked if I take steroids, I said no and "Thanks, I think?"

Pretty sure Sylvester Stallone said everyone over ~50 (can't remember the exact age he said) should be taking anabolic steroids. He might have appreciated that with all the action movies he has watched.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's an interesting approach, Aktak, but I fear that your answer would you you dinged by people who are looking to see if you are thoughtful and inquisitive. It's one thing to have never taken a Micro or Bacteriology class, but one presumes that you've been exposed to learning about these things as an undergrad, and have the breadth of knowledge to take a decent stab at the question.

With insects, this is getting into looking at how you view the world. You can't have gone through life without encountering an insect. Sure, some of them were bad, like fire ants, or yellow jackets, but no wonder or appreciation for a butterfly, ladybug or praying mantis. I fear you'd get dinged even more here.

I have favorite people in my life, favorite memories of my elders, and favorite activities that excite me. Would I be screwed if I answered that way because that’s the reality.
Probably, if you weren't asked about this. You're expected to be able to understand a question.

No fave virus? That I'd cut you slack for!

Another point to make here...sometimes you have to be able to BS an answer, simply to show that you can think on your feet.

As soon as I find out what virus I have had for the past 2 months that will be my favorite. It has humbled me beyond belief and shown me that I am human and not invincible like I have always said and believed. This has had me in bed for months due to fevers of 107.8. Been to ED and my PCP and they believe it to be caused form Epstein Barr and if that is the case than it will definitely be my favorite.

Side note: Epstein may not have killed himself but the Epstein Barr is trying to kill me. jkjkjk

That's pretty close to crossing a red line. How did that question make you feel?
I was fine, at this point it's hard to be surprised by the things people say lol. But it was definitely strange and not even the first questionable thing he said during the interview. I could tell he wasn't all that interested in my answer. He was about to use it as a jumping-off point for a rant but (probably wisely) stopped himself.

I was fine, at this point it's hard to be surprised by the things people say lol. But it was definitely strange and not even the first questionable thing he said during the interview. I could tell he wasn't all that interested in my answer. He was about to use it as a jumping-off point for a rant but (probably wisely) stopped himself.
SDNer are always advised to contact Admissions Deans if an interviewer crosses a line. It's the only way we can get rid of them.

Reactions: 9 users
SDNer are always advised to contact Admissions Deans if an interviewer crosses a line. It's the only way we can get rid of them.
Out of courisity, what happens if someone interviews with someone and they report the interviewer for asking over the line questions and other interviewees also reported the interviewer? How is the evaluation from this reported interviewer seen by the adcom??

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the support, currently in the process.

Reactions: 6 users
Out of courisity, what happens if someone interviews with someone and they report the interviewer for asking over the line questions and other interviewees also reported the interviewer? How is the evaluation from this reported interviewer seen by the adcom??t
The interviewer is either told to knock it off, or doesn't get to interview anymore, at least at my school.

We don't retaliate against the people who might complain.

Reactions: 4 users
At one of my interviews, I was given a scenario where if the world was about to end, which 3 people would I choose to save from a provided list they gave to me.

So I chose my 3 and I talked about it with my interviewer.

This man, with a really weird smile on his face, asks me, "Well why not the 18 year old girl, for her birthing potential?"

I don't think he meant to come off as creepy, but in my mind I was just like

Was that Cincinnati? I had the same MMI question lol

+1...though it was a 17-year old female (ILLEGAL!) . I thought back to this thread and mentioned the females I did select being within child-bearing age range lmfao

Reactions: 1 users
What my favorite bacteria was....honestly a seemingly easy question and I'm sure we all know a decent amount of examples but in the moment it was just a huge curveball lol, and then explaining why was even funnier
E. Coli. Becuase the outbreaks results in chipotle giving out free meals to reel customers back in

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Honestly I don't have a favorite bacteria nor have thought about it really but I just used it as a transition basically. I said Yersinia pestis (made sure to say favorite is perhaps not the best word in light of the consequences) but then just explained that I'm a huge history buff and was fascinated by the broader impacts of the Black Plague in terms of world history beyond just the pure science of the bacteria, i.e. economies, rise and fall of empires, cultural effects, etc....maybe a slightly cynical response but we had a good convo and I can't imagine bringing up my interest in history in many others ways lol

well damn. I legit would have said streptococcus because it's cute and round

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Out of courisity, what happens if someone interviews with someone and they report the interviewer for asking over the line questions and other interviewees also reported the interviewer? How is the evaluation from this reported interviewer seen by the adcom??
At my school, the Admissions dean talks to the interviewer after the committee has decided thier fate.

The Dean doesn't bring up the complaint with the committee...he talks to the interviewer directly and usually says "don't that question anymore."

Members don't see this ad :)
Back in August I was asked about why my mother became a substitute teacher.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I saw your profile pic then 'why I'm asked about my C's' and I was like I can't believe an adcom would ask such a thing! Some reason I assumed you look like that
Taylor Swift career change confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I don't have a favorite bacteria nor have thought about it really but I just used it as a transition basically. I said Yersinia pestis (made sure to say favorite is perhaps not the best word in light of the consequences) but then just explained that I'm a huge history buff and was fascinated by the broader impacts of the Black Plague in terms of world history beyond just the pure science of the bacteria, i.e. economies, rise and fall of empires, cultural effects, etc....maybe a slightly cynical response but we had a good convo and I can't imagine bringing up my interest in history in many others ways lol
I have a favorite bacterium!

I had an interviewer ask me about my thoughts on free healthcare but ended the question by saying “don’t tell me you agree with what that crazy Bernie Sanders guy says right?!”

He was older and it was pretty obvious how he wanted me to answer the question.

Also let me add that most of my application revolves around the fact that I grew up without healthcare due to financial reasons until I started college. Definitely a shocking question especially because he knew my background and low SES

• Sad
  • Wow
I had an interviewer ask me about my thoughts on free healthcare but ended the question by saying “don’t tell me you agree with what that crazy Bernie Sanders guy says right?!”

Also let me add that most of my application revolves around the fact that I grew up without healthcare due to financial reasons until I started college. Definitely a shocking question especially because he knew my background and low SES

I mean not everyone who has experienced not having healthcare thinks Medicare for all is a good idea. But it’s always kind of annoying when interviewers think there is a right answer to questions that can be a matter of opinion.

I had an interviewer ask me, “How many balloons do you think can fit in this room?”

I got something similar to this question. But my interviewer was very unbiased and just wanted to hear how well I could articulate my opinion. I think a good interviewer is able to ask any question as charged as they come and remember that he's there to be objective and evaluate your argument.

I had an interviewer ask me, “How many balloons do you think can fit in this room?”

I feel like this favors people who are good at math... I would have totally nerded out

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I mean not everyone who has experienced not having healthcare thinks Medicare for all is a good idea. But it’s always kind of annoying when interviewers think there is a right answer to questions that can be a matter of opinion.
Yes, you're right. What I meant by that was that my main application had already touched on that subject but he made it seem as there was only one right answer to his question even though it's so much more complex than that

Yes, you're right. What I meant by that was that my main application had already touched on that subject but he made it seem as there was only one right answer to his question even though it's so much more complex than that

Yeah that’s so frustrating.

how many interviews ya got and at what schools? and then jotted them down. rude af. got the A though... turned it down #notmymedicalschool

• Wow
how many interviews ya got and at what schools? and then jotted them down. rude af. got the A though... turned it down #notmymedicalschool

That feels like it should be against some kind of AAMC rule...

Not sure if this is "worst" but definitely a stress interview. My interviewer asked the following line of Qs:
- Do richer applicants have an advantage in the application process?
- Why has medicine failed to change socially since the 1960s?
- I see you went on a medical mission trip, do you think I should value this experience when some can't afford to? Do these experiences really have an impact, and how do you discern those that do vs. those that are just voluntourism?
- What would you do if you had a racist colleague?
- How should I judge the experiences of someone who can afford to do certain activities over a lower SES applicant? After my response, he asked if that means that the application process is subjective?

It was just a rapid fire hammering lol. And this was at a school that I was told would be one of the more chill interviews, so definitely caught me off guard....

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Not sure if this is "worst" but definitely a stress interview. My interviewer asked the following line of Qs:
- I see you went on a medical mission trip, do you think I should value this experience when some can't afford to? Do these experiences really have an impact, and how do you discern those that do vs. those that are just voluntourism?
- How should I judge the experiences of someone who can afford to do certain activities over a lower SES applicant? After my response, he asked if that means that the application process is subjective?

It was just a rapid fire hammering lol. And this was at a school that I was told would be one of the more chill interviews, so definitely caught me off guard....
I don't think any of those questions are that stressful/difficult, except for maybe the question about the 1960s. But I'm sure you handled them well regardless!

I don't think any of those questions are that stressful/difficult, except for maybe the question about the 1960s. But I'm sure you handled them well regardless!
I think alot of the stress in it came in his responses, which were very much devil's advocate to whatever I said. But I agree on the surface they aren't horrible. I think people saying it would be a chill interview played a part too.

Haha it seems pretty overkill to ask you that many similar questions in a row. If I were an interviewer though, I'd ask the question about medical mission trips and volunteerism to any applicant who had that kind of experience. If they couldn't express some understanding of the pitfalls of "voluntourism", then it would be somewhat of an exposure of a a narrow world-view IMO.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:
Haha it seems pretty overkill to ask you that many similar questions in a row. If I were an interviewer though, I'd ask the question about medical mission trips and volunteerism to any applicant who had that kind of experience. If they couldn't express some understanding of the pitfalls of "volunteerism", then it would be somewhat of an exposure of a a narrow world-view IMO.
It was definitely fair game. And yeah the Qs did seem to all be in a similar vein, although the whole time I think he was trying to guide the convo to a deeper meaning through them. It was definitely good discourse. Just hard for an interview lol

I know that this has happened to other people, but my interviewer asked how many other interviews I had. I reluctantly said 4 and then he made me tell him which schools exactly I've interviewed at. He then wrote the names of the schools on his piece of paper and asked me how many acceptances I have. I didn't know whether it was better to be truthful or to fudge my numbers a little bit. :(

• Wow
I know that this has happened to other people, but my interviewer asked how many other interviews I had. I reluctantly said 4 and then he made me tell him which schools exactly I've interviewed at. He then wrote the names of the schools on his piece of paper and asked me how many acceptances I have. I didn't know whether it was better to be truthful or to fudge my numbers a little bit. :(
Honesty is the best policy.

wow that’s quite out there

Honesty is the best policy.
Is it? I'd probably say that I don't think it's an appropriate question and that I'm there interviewing because I'm very interested in attending that school.

Is it? I'd probably say that I don't think it's an appropriate question and that I'm there interviewing because I'm very interested in attending that school.
It is not in your best interest to tell your interviewer that they’re asking you a bad question. It’s also not a very difficult question.

• Love
its easy to answer as most schools seem to realize that the fact that they took an interest into your application probably means other schools have as well so its not as if telling them that you've been to other interviews will come as much of a surprise.

And that answer would get you rejected at any school.
S'pose I'll say something else then lol
There are principles that I care about, and there are battles I don't care to fight.

S'pose I'll say something else then lol
There are principles that I care about, and there are battles I don't care to fight.
a good moto to keep as you move through interview season haha

In the US, there are three types of medical school... the first two I know you can name - MD and DO. But, did you know that the third type of medical school is for DPMs - Doctors of Podiatric Medicine?

• Haha
In the US, there are three types of medical school... the first two I know you can name - MD and DO. But, did you know that the third type of medical school is for DPMs - Doctors of Podiatric Medicine?

When I tell people at work I am going to medical school they ask if I am going to be an optometrist or an ophthalmologist (as if those are the only options lol)... so I guess you could also include ODs in "medical school"

• Haha

These are really great questions that I wish happened at more interviews. completely agree that it would be stressful