Applicants. What are the worst/most shocking questions interviewers have asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, you mean the non-trad who quit a $70K a year career to go back to school? I say my peace as an informed member of the tax payers, thank you very much.
The U S Treasury accepts checks. Anyone who likes taxes I fully encourage to send extra. It's allowed. That usually ends the conversation. I actually think the IRS should let you earmark any extra tax you want to send, like for education, roads, infrastructure, the wall, etc. We set record amounts each year for taxes collected. Yet we spend more than we take in. I don't think the problem lies with insufficient taxes, but with out of control spending and borrowing. If those things tightened up, I probably would favor a modest tax increase.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
A recent interviewer (at a well-known east coast school) asked me if my siblings have the same father as me. I was absolutely dumbfounded at how inappropriate the question was. He also opened by saying "You had a rough childhood," when all my application really talked about was being working class and having a single mother. Like dude, I grew up working class, not living in the gulag.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for talking about how my background shaped me. However, you just don't ask strangers about their parent's sexual habits unless you want to sound like a jerk who judges poor, single moms. I still feel awful just thinking about that interview.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17 users
A recent interviewer (at a well-known east coast school) asked me if my siblings have the same father as me. I was absolutely dumbfounded at how inappropriate the question was. He also opened by saying "You had a rough childhood," when all my application really talked about was being working class and having a single mother. Like dude, I grew up working class, not living in the gulag.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for talking about how my background shaped me. However, you just don't ask strangers about their parent's sexual habits unless you want to sound like a jerk who judges poor, single moms. I still feel awful just thinking about that interview.
Agreed on that. How’d you answer the question though?

Members don't see this ad :)
My worst interviews were at the same school, one right after another (also the school that gave me a WL). No hard questions, just pretty much no challenging or interesting questions at all. It was completely open file, but they had clearly not looked at it at all so the first like two minutes was them just skimming my file, then they both asked me to summarize my app, eventually leading to the same softball questions both times. No matter how hard I tried I could not initiate any conversationalism or personal connection like I have pretty much everywhere else. It really is a shame because aside from those two interactions I absolutely loved the school.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not say it was a bad question but it definitely threw me off. "When I go to the admissions committee to fight for your acceptance, tell me in 3 sentences what you want to make sure the committee knows about you."

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed on that. How’d you answer the question though?

I was so stunned that I just blankly said, “No.” He then gave me the most insulting knowing/pitying murmur, so I stammered my way through explaining that my siblings are older and from my mom’s first marriage. Which of course wasn’t at all relevant or appropriate, but I felt like I had fallen into some sort of trap that proved all of his stereotypes about the working class.

On their anonymous post-interview survey, I pointed out that their interviewers definitely need more training in tact.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
On their anonymous post-interview survey, I pointed out that their interviewers definitely need more training in tact.

I would have called that person out specifically to make sure they never interviewed there again.

“You’re clearly a lot older than our other applicants. Why would we want to invest a seat in an older guy like yourself who has far fewer productive years left in his career than, say,... someone of a normal age?”
the interviewer acting uninterested and/or being unprepared would have me voicing my personal disgust to the dean of admissions immediately afterward, consequences of said voicing be damned. I get that interviews may get tough/boring/tedious to conduct after a while, but to not give someone the full respect and attention they deserve when already in a vulnerable position to begin with is beyond comprehension.
A recent interviewer (at a well-known east coast school) asked me if my siblings have the same father as me.
I suspect that the interviewers may have been trying to provoke a reaction. While these types of questions are distasteful (and depending on the context, completely inappropriate), they can be very revealing about someone's personality. Applicants should not reciprocate by getting defensive or making inappropriate comments back. Handle these questions factually, with humor when applicable, and always with grace. My school actively discourages this type of behavior as they give a terrible impression of the school.

Unfortunately, as clinicians, we all are/will be exposed to many wholly inappropriate comments by patients, families, and colleagues (it's a stressful environment). Many things can be taught; but temperament is not always one of them. My colleagues who are Asian, Black, and Latino have been called racial slurs and stereotyped. Misogynistic comments have been directed towards female colleagues, etc. Most clinicians have been spat on and/or assaulted. There have been many incidents of clinicians reacting poorly to these provocations (e.g by yelling at and even hitting the patient back). People who are prone to react rather than respond are walking liabilities.

Of course, it's also possible that the interviewer is just an *sshat :asshat:. But there's no need to reciprocate that type of behavior. When faced with objectively inappropriate behavior, better to just report it through the proper channels. Just be sure that the behaviors are truly objectively questionable. How and what someone reports can be equally as revealing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
What my favorite bacteria was....honestly a seemingly easy question and I'm sure we all know a decent amount of examples but in the moment it was just a huge curveball lol, and then explaining why was even funnier

What my favorite bacteria was....honestly a seemingly easy question and I'm sure we all know a decent amount of examples but in the moment it was just a huge curveball lol, and then explaining why was even funnier
Lol I got asked what my favorite insect was at my first interview

Lol I got asked what my favorite insect was at my first interview

Haha, do people have favorite insects? I think my favorite insect is any insect that is not in my house.

Reactions: 12 users
I had a pet Madagascar hissing cockroach, so those are my favorite

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I had a pet Madagascar hissing cockroach, so those are my favorite
I saw a box full of them at a zoo when I was like nine and I firmly believe that is what has given me my phobia of them today

Members don't see this ad :)
At one of my interviews, I was given a scenario where if the world was about to end, which 3 people would I choose to save from a provided list they gave to me.

So I chose my 3 and I talked about it with my interviewer.

This man, with a really weird smile on his face, asks me, "Well why not the 18 year old girl, for her birthing potential?"

I don't think he meant to come off as creepy, but in my mind I was just like

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users
At one of my interviews, I was given a scenario where if the world was about to end, which 3 people would I choose to save from a provided list they gave to me.

This man, with a really weird smile on his face, asks me, "Well why not the 18 year old girl, for her birthing potential?"

I would have said because there is a population point below which recovery is impossible, and 4 people is well below that, so birthing potential is irrelevant.

Reactions: 2 users

Do you remember the other choices?

I would have said because there is a population point below which recovery is impossible, and 4 people is well below that, so birthing potential is irrelevant.

Yep, I believe the research estimates it at around 200-300 humans. Fun fact, the closest we've gotten was 3,000 people left after a mass extinction event, which did have lasting affects on our gene pool.

It was a list of like 15 people of different backgrounds so I dont remember haha

Ha and I doubt everyone else was like 60... saying "why not the 18 year old?" says a lot about that interviewer :rolleyes:

I know that the knee-jerk reaction is to go full PC, but the interviewer's question was a valid one.

The population genetics responses mentioned above are even better answers.

I suspect that the interviewer was not being creepy, but that he felt that you fell into his rhetorical trap. I set up traps as well, but I can keep a poker face, at least.

No, I'm not sharing.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
is your booty on fleek? is your body unique? are you jhenne aiko?

1. Military income is taxed less than civilian income.
2. You file married filing jointly and have a dependant. Try being single and not having any dependants.
3. Once you get above a certain income, those wonderful child tax, earned income, and Child and Dependent Care credits go away.
4. n = 1. Don't assume your experience with taxes is typical.

I worked in tax and have done returns for college students to orthopaedic surgeons. I say:

4bcc9fe7385111b11d22e7386d1b32d386c6110b38efa6e924f3477738996b25.jpg

Um, where did you get #1? I was 5 years active duty. My tax rate for my basic pay was the same as any civilian.

I'm hoping you're not including basic housing allowance or food allowance. Because the majority of active duty members don't get those.

Um, where did you get #1? I was 5 years active duty. My tax rate for my basic pay was the same as any civilian.

I'm hoping you're not including basic housing allowance or food allowance. Because the majority of active duty members don't get those.

Definitely including BAH and BAS. Whether the military is giving you a stipend for housing or paying for your housing on-base, it's tax free.

What? What unit were you at where the majority of active duty members were not getting BAH or BAS? Almost everyone gets BAS in the Navy, and it was definitely the minority of folks at all of my commands over 7 years who were not getting either BAH or living in base housing where its paid for.

I had an interview during which the interviewer's facebook notifications were blowing up.
He then proceeded to tell me he hadn't had any time to review my application, while checking his notifications.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Definitely including BAH and BAS. Whether the military is giving you a stipend for housing or paying for your housing on-base, it's tax free.

Majority of soldiers never get BAH or BAS such as myself. I don't see how living in on base housing affected the rate that I'm taxed.

What? What unit were you at where the majority of active duty members were not getting BAH or BAS? Almost everyone gets BAS in the Navy, and it was definitely the minority of folks at all of my commands over 7 years who were not getting either BAH or living in base housing where its paid for.

I was stationed in Italy with the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team. Most of us were single soldiers and lived on base. We did not get BAS because of a chow hall. Only married folks, or if single, E6 and above in the Army are authorized to get BAH/BAS. The exception is if a duty station does not have a chow hall or on base housing, but those are few.

However, I was active duty from 2008-2013 so maybe times have changed?

Sorry to derail thread, this will be last reply.

I was stationed in Italy with the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team. Most of us were single soldiers and lived on base. We did not get BAS because of a chow hall. Only married folks, or if single, E6 and above in the Army are authorized to get BAH/BAS. The exception is if a duty station does not have a chow hall or on base housing, but those are few.

However, I was active duty from 2008-2013 so maybe times have changed?

Sorry to derail thread, this will be last reply.

You were overseas. That's completely different. No one gets BAH overseas. They give you OHA, which covers only the cost of your rent, and it's only for married couples who get permission to live off base or single people who are (usually) E6 and above with permission to live off base.

In the US, anyone with a dependent gets BAH, and at least in the Navy, anyone without dependents who is E5 and above gets BAH. BAS is also extremely common, at least in the Navy, even when you are stationed on a ship with a mess hall (they just take a portion of it away).

Majority of soldiers never get BAH or BAS such as myself. I don't see how living in on base housing affected the rate that I'm taxed.

See above. Overseas is way different, and most people aren't stationed overseas. As far as housing goes, if you were not in the military, you'd have to pay rent. That would come out of whatever salary you had, all of which would be taxed. If you are getting BAH, a big chunk of your income is not taxed. If you are living on base, you are living somewhere for free and either not getting BAH or getting partial BAH that is not taxed and immediately allotted to the housing. So either way, your taxable income is lower, which means your tax rate would be lower.

One of my interviewers, already sort of tepid towards me, asked if i thought coral reefs could be saved since we both dive. I had already gotten in to a more desired school and was sort of being a loose cannon. I spoke with excitement about replanting programs adding in corals that can withstand higher acidity and temps, while speaking with sadness about the obvious loss of ocean diversity coming. Interviewer then told me flatly that i was being naive.

My response, "Well i guess that's the difference between an optimist and a pessimist isn't it?"

The low end of the waitlist email sure came fast

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users
My interviewer after I explain how difficult it was to get enough sleep and shadow while maintain a full time job while taking several engineering design courses: "How do you expect to make it in medicine if you need eight hours of sleep?" and then "If you couldn't afford to shadow a doctor, just say that" ... wut?

Edit: I have THOUSANDS of hours of really good clinical experience with a lot of physician interaction.

• Sad
Would I be wrong to just be honest on these questions? I don’t have a favorite bacteria, a favorite insect (maybe I could make a case for crickets), or a favorite virus. I have favorite people in my life, favorite memories of my elders, and favorite activities that excite me. Would I be screwed if I answered that way because that’s the reality. I’ve never woke in the morning and thought, “Dang. I just can’t wait to get my E. coli on today.”

Unfortunately, as clinicians, we all are/will be exposed to many wholly inappropriate comments by patients, families, and colleagues (it's a stressful environment).
I agree that this is a reality physicians face, but I think it ignores the power dynamics at play during interviews. In an interview, the interviewer holds ALL of the power over an interviewee. A physician interacting with a patient is in the more powerful position.
Many things can be taught; but temperament is not always one of them.
Not to understate the value of temperament in considering who should become a physician, but could this not be observed by giving a group of candidates a difficult scenario and seeing how they interact with one another? Does it need to involve an interviewer pushing boundaries by asking even *subjectively* inappropriate questions?
People who are prone to react rather than respond are walking liabilities.
Is there a way to stand up for oneself in the context of a borderline question without coming off as having a "bad temperament"?

Would I be wrong to just be honest on these questions? I don’t have a favorite bacteria, a favorite insect (maybe I could make a case for crickets), or a favorite virus. I have favorite people in my life, favorite memories of my elders, and favorite activities that excite me. Would I be screwed if I answered that way because that’s the reality. I’ve never woke in the morning and thought, “Dang. I just can’t wait to get my E. coli on today.”
That's an interesting approach, Aktak, but I fear that your answer would you you dinged by people who are looking to see if you are thoughtful and inquisitive. It's one thing to have never taken a Micro or Bacteriology class, but one presumes that you've been exposed to learning about these things as an undergrad, and have the breadth of knowledge to take a decent stab at the question.

With insects, this is getting into looking at how you view the world. You can't have gone through life without encountering an insect. Sure, some of them were bad, like fire ants, or yellow jackets, but no wonder or appreciation for a butterfly, ladybug or praying mantis. I fear you'd get dinged even more here.

I have favorite people in my life, favorite memories of my elders, and favorite activities that excite me. Would I be screwed if I answered that way because that’s the reality.
Probably, if you weren't asked about this. You're expected to be able to understand a question.

No fave virus? That I'd cut you slack for!

Another point to make here...sometimes you have to be able to BS an answer, simply to show that you can think on your feet.

Reactions: 4 users
That's an interesting approach, Aktak, but I fear that your answer would you you dinged by people who are looking to see if you are thoughtful and inquisitive. It's one thing to have never taken a Micro or Bacteriology class, but one presumes that you've been exposed to learning about these things as an undergrad, and have the breadth of knowledge to take a decent stab at the question.

With insects, this is getting into looking at how you view the world. You can't have gone through life without encountering an insect. Sure, some of them were bad, like fire ants, or yellow jackets, but no wonder or appreciation for a butterfly, ladybug or praying mantis. I fear you'd get dinged even more here.

I have favorite people in my life, favorite memories of my elders, and favorite activities that excite me. Would I be screwed if I answered that way because that’s the reality.
Probably, if you weren't asked about this. You're expected to be able to understand a question.

No fave virus? That I'd cut you slack for!

Another point to make here...sometimes you have to be able to BS an answer, simply to show that you can think on your feet.
Thanks, @Goro

Come to think about it, I probably have tons of favorite viruses. All the ones that leave us alone would qualify! *As I fight for the third day in bed with 103-104 fever. At my age, I can’t remember having fever like this since I was a kid.*

One of my interviewers asked my what I believed the biggest social issue was today, outside of healthcare. I talked about a lack of access to equal education opportunities, but then the interviewer turned the question around and asked me if I believed that “academically gifted” students blindly deserve to go to HYP type of schools over anyone else. I was slightly taken aback and it took me a moment to recover, because it felt like anything I said he twisted around to make my words negative. I think that might have been stress interviewing tactics though, or he just really disliked my answers.

I agree that this is a reality physicians face, but I think it ignores the power dynamics at play during interviews. In an interview, the interviewer holds ALL of the power over an interviewee. A physician interacting with a patient is in the more powerful position.

Not to understate the value of temperament in considering who should become a physician, but could this not be observed by giving a group of candidates a difficult scenario and seeing how they interact with one another? Does it need to involve an interviewer pushing boundaries by asking even *subjectively* inappropriate questions?

Is there a way to stand up for oneself in the context of a borderline question without coming off as having a "bad temperament"?
- The same asymmetric power dynamics are experienced by medical students, residents, and younger faculty.
- Perhaps at places that conduct group interviews, but even then, most interviewees will be (or pretend to be) pleasant and agreeable rather than obnoxious and rude
- The best strategy will depend on the question. As with most situations, there are usually ways to deescalate. General rules: avoid being defensive (the question may be asked out of ignorance or subconscious biases, and not with malignant intent), stick with the facts, deflect with humor if applicable, and/or turning the situation around to make it a learning opportunity. It's possible to advocate for yourself without lowering your standards (of course, this is often easier said than done!).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly I don't have a favorite bacteria nor have thought about it really but I just used it as a transition basically. I said Yersinia pestis (made sure to say favorite is perhaps not the best word in light of the consequences) but then just explained that I'm a huge history buff and was fascinated by the broader impacts of the Black Plague in terms of world history beyond just the pure science of the bacteria, i.e. economies, rise and fall of empires, cultural effects, etc....maybe a slightly cynical response but we had a good convo and I can't imagine bringing up my interest in history in many others ways lol

Honestly I don't have a favorite bacteria nor have thought about it really but I just used it as a transition basically. I said Yersinia pestis (made sure to say favorite is perhaps not the best word in light of the consequences) but then just explained that I'm a huge history buff and was fascinated by the broader impacts of the Black Plague in terms of world history beyond just the pure science of the bacteria, i.e. economies, rise and fall of empires, cultural effects, etc..
This is a great answer and one I'd be looking for if I were to ask such a question!

One of my interviewers asked my what I believed the biggest social issue was today, outside of healthcare. I talked about a lack of access to equal education opportunities, but then the interviewer turned the question around and asked me if I believed that “academically gifted” students blindly deserve to go to HYP type of schools over anyone else. I was slightly taken aback and it took me a moment to recover, because it felt like anything I said he twisted around to make my words negative. I think that might have been stress interviewing tactics though, or he just really disliked my answers.
No, this sounds like a stress interviewer/questions. There's no correct answer, but there are plenty of blind alleys to go down and get trapped in. That's the point....to see how you can handle being skewered.

The bacteria question would have stumped me, but I do know that we have a lot of beneficial varieties within our GI tract that help with digestion otherwise unusable nutrients, absorption, and synthesis of vitamins and important metabolites.

Being able to think on the fly is probably more important than the answer you actually give, assuming you stay on topic and actually answer what was asked.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did you have significant clinical work experience, exposure to GI patients via shadowing, or GI research?

If so, it could be verifying that you weren’t talking nonsense in your app.

If not, it’s could be testing how you think through problems.

Just saw this -- it was a closed file interview so they wouldn't have known any of my experiences

I'm surprised some schools engage in stress test type interviews. I've had a few interviews like this and it really turns me off from the school. I want to learn in a place that is supportive vs. combative. My impression of faculty and the school ends up more negative.
People don't ask these because they're sadistic, but because they want to see you think on your feet, handle your thought processes being challenged. and be able to get out of your comfort zone. Medicine as a career is NOT supportive, has little tolerance for people with thin skins, and the educational component can break even healthy people.

I'm always excited to be challenged on my ideas and have enjoyed interviews with a lot of back and forth and healthy conversation. But there are definitely interviewers who come across as combative for the sake of it, which rubs me the wrong way. The profession of physicians already has lots of people who are cut throat, thick skinned, unhealthy, and burnt out. I think we could use with more supportive, healthy communicators, and there are definitely schools that seem to support these traits more.

I don’t believe it’s indicative of the educational environment, just testing your critical thinking skills while under stress. If one can’t remain professional and think critically after a combative response when their own best interests are at stake, how will they remain professional and think critically with a combative or accusatory patient?

Was that Cincinnati? I had the same MMI question lol

I understand what schools are hoping to learn through the stress test and know that these situations will only grow as I hit the wards. Just my 2 cents, but I am more excited about schools that come across as supportive of their students vs. combative. Other people may feel differently, and they can take my spot in that school's class :)

That’s understandable! But forreal pm me if that spot becomes available :rofl:

• Haha
One of my interviewers asked me if I'd ever been sexually harassed. It was out of the blue, too.

• Wow
  • Haha
One of my interviewers asked me if I'd ever been sexually harassed. It was out of the blue, too.

not sure where the interviewer was expecting to go with that

You: yes
Interviewer: can you tell me about it?
You: um no
Interviewer: *writes notes* hmm I guess you aren’t serious about medical school

I understand what schools are hoping to learn through the stress test and know that these situations will only grow as I hit the wards. Just my 2 cents, but I am more excited about schools that come across as supportive of their students vs. combative. Other people may feel differently, and they can take my spot in that school's class :)
Thats fine and all but an interview is not a good place to judge the school's environment. You're only hurting yourself by letting your school decision be biased by the interview environment which is not meant to be representative of the academic environment

I got spot pimped on my opinion of then-Governor Tom Corbett at my Drexel interview after my interviewer dragged me around through a few patient encounters. Oh man, did I not want to go there after that went down.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors