Application Advice Please (submission date)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justfornowokay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, any advice would be much appreciated! little lost.

so took the MCAT 05/29/2022 somewhat blindly (didn't study properly for it & had to wing it -- scored 489

this time I studied a lot more for it, still not as much as I probably should have/not properly (noticed I didn't take FL practice exams timed and so I was taking way too much time on questions. when i took this next exam I did run out of time on the Bio section. --- MCAT 6/03/2023 --> 488

graduated from college May 2021. GPA was around 3.4 (cumulative and science). I do have a very good upward trend. have been working as a medical assistant during my gap years. Have plenty of ECs, leadership, volunteer, community service, and got all of my strong. LORs already. also URM if that matters.

I plan to retake the MCAT 9/9/2023 (if my practice FL scores prior show that I am getting 500+).

Would it be wise for me to go ahead and submit my primary app now to AACOMAS and a few schools (to get verification process going) and indicate I'm retaking the exam? Or should I wait until October after I receive my new score to make sure?

I know my chances are slim with my stats being so low, but I still really want to try applying this cycle. Please let me know what y'all think! Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Remember you can only take the MCAT 7 times in your lifetime.
If your practice scores aren't getting to 500 or above soon, be sure to cancel your Sept 9 MCAT before the cancellation deadline so that won't count as one of your 7 chances.

I don't think you should submit an AACOMAS app until you get an MCAT score of 498 or above, which might mean waiting until next spring to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, any advice would be much appreciated! little lost.

so took the MCAT 05/29/2022 somewhat blindly (didn't study properly for it & had to wing it -- scored 489

this time I studied a lot more for it, still not as much as I probably should have/not properly (noticed I didn't take FL practice exams timed and so I was taking way too much time on questions. when i took this next exam I did run out of time on the Bio section. --- MCAT 6/03/2023 --> 488

graduated from college May 2021. GPA was around 3.4 (cumulative and science). I do have a very good upward trend. have been working as a medical assistant during my gap years. Have plenty of ECs, leadership, volunteer, community service, and got all of my strong. LORs already. also URM if that matters.

I plan to retake the MCAT 9/9/2023 (if my practice FL scores prior show that I am getting 500+).

Would it be wise for me to go ahead and submit my primary app now to AACOMAS and a few schools (to get verification process going) and indicate I'm retaking the exam? Or should I wait until October after I receive my new score to make sure?

I know my chances are slim with my stats being so low, but I still really want to try applying this cycle. Please let me know what y'all think! Thank you so much in advance.
Unfortunately, your MCAT scores will be a hard stop for most adcoms especially since you didn't significantly improve on the second attempt. I would recommend waiting until next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
489 to 488... your app won't fly even for DO. The last thing you should do is rush another attempt and fail to get a strong score. DO schools may be more willing to look at applicants with low scores, but unless they are new and preliminary accredited, your MCAT alone will be a huge red flag.

Reactions: 1 user