Application advice w/ Low oat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I just took the OAT today and didn't do well at all.

QR 310
Reading 380
Bio 270
Chem 270
OChem 290
Physics 250
Total Science 260
AA 300

I'm definitely going to have to retake it but it will have to be in April 1st. My GPA is 3.5/sGPA 3.0.
I know everything is pretty low, but would anyone recommend applying to schools for this cycle? If so, which schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should apply and explain that you'd be retaking the OAT that way schools can start reviewing your application and perhaps inviting you to interviews until you take the OAT again.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, that's a lot of damage, especially in physics. If I were you, I would take a gap year and take an OAT/DAT prep course. It's going to be too late in the year and a lot of Optometry schools would already have a majority of their students picked out by that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't lose hope, just be prepared to explain. Definitely let them know that you plan to retake if you can. I've heard of schools accepting under conditions.
Great job on your reading btw, that it still an important section that you did really well on.

Do you have any tips on performing well on the reading section?
And how was your test compared to the practice exams?

I wouldn't lose hope, just be prepared to explain. Definitely let them know that you plan to retake if you can. I've heard of schools accepting under conditions.
Great job on your reading btw, that it still an important section that you did really well on.

Do you have any tips on performing well on the reading section?
And how was your test compared to the practice exams?

Honestly I ended up cramming in a couple weeks and didn't have time to review. If you're short on time I'd say definitely cover your bases first and make sure all your content is memorized. Don't worry about details general concepts will help you well. However, with physics I think practice questions might be more useful because its about recognition on the exam and knowing which equation to use and how.

I pretty much knew I would be getting around the score I got because of how much I had studied/practice exams. I didn't look over reading before exam day but that was also a strength of mine. I think it depends on how you personally take in information, but for me Its faster to read the question then look for the answer in the passage vs reading the whole passage first.

Do you have your ADA practice test scores?

On my ADA I just scored
320 Bio
320 Chem
280 Organic Chem (sadly I'm surprised I did this well. I really need to study this more but idk if I will have time)
250 Physics (ugh. I make a lot of dumb errors on this section which I'm trying to fix)
350 QR
350 Reading (from Prince Review's practice test. didn't take the ADA reading section because it's too short IMO)
TS: 290
AA: 310

These are also untimed. I take my test in a few days and I'm mostly trying to review all the questions I'm getting wrong with a priority on Physics since it is looked at more by the schools. I'm nervous because I heard the ADA reflects your actual scores the most.

Hi. I actually looked over the ADA practice test again after I took my OAT and the questions seemed a little harder than my exam. Of course, I know the questions rotate and it's just up to luck but I wouldn't worry a ton. Just make sure you know all your equations.

I definitely think you should time yourself because that challenged me a little on the exam for physics and QR (which I also reviewed the least). The biological sciences part I finished well ahead of time.
Honestly your scores dont look too bad!! A lot of schools are actually fine with 300s if the rest of your application looks good. Definitely go over all of your mistakes. But personally, I would focus on physics more till exam day instead of trying to split my time between physics and ochem. As long as you can get that TS up to 300 you're good! Good luck!!

Do you have your ADA practice test scores?

On my ADA I just scored
320 Bio
320 Chem
280 Organic Chem (sadly I'm surprised I did this well. I really need to study this more but idk if I will have time)
250 Physics (ugh. I make a lot of dumb errors on this section which I'm trying to fix)
350 QR
350 Reading (from Prince Review's practice test. didn't take the ADA reading section because it's too short IMO)
TS: 290
AA: 310

These are also untimed. I take my test in a few days and I'm mostly trying to review all the questions I'm getting wrong with a priority on Physics since it is looked at more by the schools. I'm nervous because I heard the ADA reflects your actual scores the most.

Personally I would recommend postponing your test date until you are feeling 100% confident in every section. The real OAT is sometimes harder than the ADA one. The first time I took the ADA I scored a 300 TS/AA, but a 290/280 on the real thing. You should be prepared to see anything and the best way to do that is with the Destroyer. Trust me, you only want to take this test once!!!

Personally I would recommend postponing your test date until you are feeling 100% confident in every section. The real OAT is sometimes harder than the ADA one. The first time I took the ADA I scored a 300 TS/AA, but a 290/280 on the real thing. You should be prepared to see anything and the best way to do that is with the Destroyer. Trust me, you only want to take this test once!!!

The latest I can re-schedule is in February. Do you think it will be bad if I take my test later this month or next month or will they judge me?
I marked on a lot of my applications that I was taking in January. SCO was really pushing me to take it the first week of January at the latest but I signed up for this week.

The latest I can re-schedule is in February. Do you think it will be bad if I take my test later this month or next month or will they judge me?
I marked on a lot of my applications that I was taking in January. SCO was really pushing me to take it the first week of January at the latest but I signed up for this week.
It’s ultimately best to have a better score, rather than to receive the score earlier. Don’t try to rush the OAT test just to get a quick score to send to one or two schools. The schools won’t care about postponement of the test as much as what you actually scored on the test.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s ultimately best to have a better score, rather than to receive the score earlier. Don’t try to rush the OAT test just to get a quick score to send to one or two schools. The schools won’t care about postponement of the test as much as what you actually scored on the test.

Do you think the classes will be mostly filled up by the time I take the OAT? That is what I'm most worried of. I know some extend invites before the exam but I haven't heard back from any schools yet other than them telling me to take the OAT. I applied in mid/end of November to 6 schools.

SCO in particular warned me that taking the OAT in January would be risking it. Maybe they fill up faster though, I'm not sure.

Do you think the classes will be mostly filled up by the time I take the OAT? That is what I'm most worried of. I know some extend invites before the exam but I haven't heard back from any schools yet other than them telling me to take the OAT. I applied in mid/end of November to 6 schools.

SCO in particular warned me that taking the OAT in January would be risking it. Maybe they fill up faster though, I'm not sure.
In my opinion, it comes down to what you're more worried about. If you think that your OAT score is your make or break, I would wait until Feb. If you believe that your application as a whole (GPA/Extra-curriculars/Volunteer/LOR) are really good and you just need a score to send, then you can take it in January given that you feel confident enough to score in the 300's.

Of course some of the schools will fill up seats while you wait, however it's not as if you are sending in a completely new application that takes time to process. Even the unofficial OAT test result that you get as an email after you test is enough proof for the school to continue reviewing your application.

Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion, it comes down to what you're more worried about. If you think that your OAT score is your make or break, I would wait until Feb. If you believe that your application as a whole (GPA/Extra-curriculars/Volunteer/LOR) are really good and you just need a score to send, then you can take it in January given that you feel confident enough to score in the 300's.

Of course some of the schools will fill up seats while you wait, however it's not as if you are sending in a completely new application that takes time to process. Even the unofficial OAT test result that you get as an email after you test is enough proof for the school to continue reviewing your application.

Thanks!!! :)

Just as an update -- I ended up retaking my OAT April 1st and it wasn't too late for schools.
My scores ended up being around the same as my first time around but I got an acceptance! So don't loose hope!
Also, i'd highly recommend sending letters of intents/interest if you're on the waitlist I think this is what got me my acceptance despite my score

Reactions: 2 users
Just as an update -- I ended up retaking my OAT April 1st and it wasn't too late for schools.
My scores ended up being around the same as my first time around but I got an acceptance! So don't loose hope!
Also, i'd highly recommend sending letters of intents/interest if you're on the waitlist I think this is what got me my acceptance despite my score
That's great! Where'd you get accepted to?