Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmorhiro

Reaction score
I applied for the 2022 cycle and applied for around 25 schools. I got secondaries for every school. I only got 1 interview (UCSF) early in the cycle (Sept), and recently got rejected. I have yet to receive any other interviews. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what I could do better with my app. I paid an essay editor to proofread all of my essays, and had several other people edit them.

STATS:
MCAT 1'st time: 512
MCAT 2nd time: 515
GPA: 4.0
Clinical Hours: 2000
Non-clinical Volunteer Hours: 600
Research: 1 year & did a research poster/presentation
Shadowing Hours: 40

School List:
UCSF
UCD
UCSD
UCI
USC
California University of Science and Medicine
Boston University
Tufts University
Hofstra
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
Saint Louis
Chicago Medical School - Rosalind Franklin
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson
UNLV
Penn State
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Drexel
Ohio State
Loyola
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Geisinger
Emory
Georgetown

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you expand on what you did for 2000 of clinical experience and what service and to who did you focus on during your 600 hours of nonclinical volunteering? Did you shadow a primary care doc? Any leadership or teaching?
Are you from California?

Reactions: 1 user
I applied for the 2022 cycle and applied for around 25 schools. I got secondaries for every school. I only got 1 interview (UCSF) early in the cycle (Sept), and recently got rejected. I have yet to receive any other interviews. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what I could do better with my app. I paid an essay editor to proofread all of my essays, and had several other people edit them.

STATS:
MCAT 1'st time: 512
MCAT 2nd time: 515
GPA: 4.0
Clinical Hours: 2000
Non-clinical Volunteer Hours: 600
Research: 1 year & did a research poster/presentation
Shadowing Hours: 40

School List:
UCSF
UCD
UCSD
UCI
USC
California University of Science and Medicine
Boston University
Tufts University
Hofstra
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
Saint Louis
Chicago Medical School - Rosalind Franklin
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson
UNLV
Penn State
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Drexel
Ohio State
Loyola
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Geisinger
Emory
Georgetown
Could you expand on what you did for 2000 of clinical experience and what service and to who did you focus on during your 600 hours of nonclinical volunteering? Did you shadow a primary care doc? Any leadership or teaching?
Are you from California?
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I worked in a psychiatric office doing TMS treatment on patients with depression/anxiety symptoms.
During college, I volunteered at UCDMC and at the Oak Park clinic (free clinic).
For nonclinical volunteer, I was a volunteer at my local soup kitchen (I started in high school and continue to do it) and I did several service projects under my club.
I shadowed a pediatric pcp.
I was service chair for my club in college for my senior year as well as academics chair the year prior.
I was a biology tutor.
I am also from California, specifically the Bay Area.

Are you from California?
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I worked in a psychiatric office doing TMS treatment on patients with depression/anxiety symptoms.
During college, I volunteered at UCDMC and at the Oak Park clinic (free clinic).
For nonclinical volunteer, I was a volunteer at my local soup kitchen (I started in high school and continue to do it) and I did several service projects under my club.
I shadowed a pediatric pcp.
I was service chair for my club in college for my senior year as well as academics chair the year prior.
I was a biology tutor.
I am also from California, specifically the Bay Area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to send me your personal statement in PM and I can take a look at it, maybe there is a red flag?

Current M4 student with tons of experience advising pre-meds on application strategy and application review. I also sat on my schools admissions committee. Feel free to send a DM and we can talk