Application Advice

Started by at1254
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

at1254

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried searching this topic and found some good information, but I was hoping to get a fresh perspective. I'm an MSIII and obviously coming close to the end of the year. Unless I fall in love with my next rotation (OB/GYN) which is highly unlikely I am pretty much set on Neurology. I did a combined Neuro/Rehab elective earlier in the year and I loved it. The problem was I mostly worked with Residents and had a different attending every week.

My next two electives are in late July/August and late August/Sept. I have a very good letter for a surgeon and one from an Internist. I could probably get another Medicine letter this summer, but I definitely need a good Neurology letter. My plan is to schedule a Neuro Sub-I in August and hopefully get a good one. Assuming it takes about a month or so programs should get it about two weeks after the Sept 15th date. I know my study habits and I am going to need some time for Step II prep and I was thinking about doing that in Sept as vacation/board prep. Do you think this is a good strategy or would be better to reverse that? I feel like its more important for programs to get the LOR as soon as possible. Do you think I will be at a significant disadvantage with late LOR and Step II score?\

More info, I am a pretty average applicant. My Step I is 218, Middle third in my class, nothing really great about Years 1-2, mostly Honors in 3rd year. Thanks for your help!