application deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cayetana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any APA accredited PhD programs in clinical or counseling psychology where the deadline for application has not yet passed? Is there a link where I could sort programs by application deadline?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately there aren't any that I know of, and I really doubt any are out there. Your best option if you for sure want to apply this year may be to apply to a funded masters program. Good luck!

I don't believe there are any PhD programs with later deadlines. But in May schools with openings post something. I've not looked at it in previous years so i dont much about it except this that i found on APA.org

If you are not accepted into any program, there is a 'Graduate Openings List' of several hundred psychology programs with openings to fill for the Fall semester.

The list is available the first week of May and can be accessed on the Internet at http://www.apa.org. You may also request a hard copy by contacting the APA Education Directorate at (202) 336-5970.
(taken from http://www.apa.org/ed/getin.html)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe there are any PhD programs with later deadlines. But in May schools with openings post something. I've not looked at it in previous years so i dont much about it except this that i found on APA.org

If you are not accepted into any program, there is a 'Graduate Openings List' of several hundred psychology programs with openings to fill for the Fall semester.

The list is available the first week of May and can be accessed on the Internet at http://www.apa.org. You may also request a hard copy by contacting the APA Education Directorate at (202) 336-5970.
(taken from http://www.apa.org/ed/getin.html)

The list would be worth looking at but unfortunately I have heard it is almost never clinical or counseling programs. If you are open to other types of psych it could be a good option, however.

Thanks for that resource.

I am asking because I'm starting to panic. I already applied to ten programs and it's not looking good. I had one interview and got on the waiting list, I got turned down by five, and I haven't heard from four of them at all, which given how late it is, I don't hold out much hope. I figured I could apply to a few more because it would really suck to wait another year... I'm finishing my Masters this Spring.

I never heard of that list. I doubt any couseling or clinical will be on there though.. they are competitive enough as it is.

Please hang in there! Every year there are some last minute surprise acceptances! Do NOT lose hope.

I'm cheering for you!

*ella:luck:

Thank you for the encouragement. It's really hard to get through every day without hearing anything from schools.

I thought I had pretty good chances. I have tons of research (no publications though), a 4.0 GPA, and my weakest area is the GRE's. I had a 550V and 500M. I didn't re-take them because I figured I would get into my current program. I found out some doc students in my program got in with lower GRE scores than that, so all the other 9 applications were pretty much safety net for me. I was made to feel really good about my chances by my advisor, and needless to say, my program turned me down. Now I'm hoping one of the other ones falls through but like I said, it's late in the season and I'm starting to lose hope. I feel like by now every school must have already contacted their interviewees.

Anyway, I appreciate your words and I still do hold onto a glimmer of hope :).

Thank you for the encouragement. It's really hard to get through every day without hearing anything from schools.

I thought I had pretty good chances. I have tons of research (no publications though), a 4.0 GPA, and my weakest area is the GRE's. I had a 550V and 500M. I didn't re-take them because I figured I would get into my current program. I found out some doc students in my program got in with lower GRE scores than that, so all the other 9 applications were pretty much safety net for me. I was made to feel really good about my chances by my advisor, and needless to say, my program turned me down. Now I'm hoping one of the other ones falls through but like I said, it's late in the season and I'm starting to lose hope. I feel like by now every school must have already contacted their interviewees.

Anyway, I appreciate your words and I still do hold onto a glimmer of hope :).

I'm in a similar boat except my GRE scores are great but my GPA isn't (3.5ish). Everyone around me made it seem like I would go somewhere for sure, so not even getting an interview kind of sucked.

Well here's to hoping. It aint over 'til it's over!