Application Essay Privacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonTex

Reaction score
I recently became privy to a member of an admissions committee sharing loads of personal statements (at least a few dozen) in-full and critiquing them during a workshop. She holds these and speaks at my university quite regularly. Given the sheer amount shared, it seemed like they were taken from prior applicants. In such a case, it also seemed unlikely to me that people were prompted for consent although their names were not shared. Regardless, are adcoms allowed to share essays like that?

Members don't see this ad.

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions here.

What makes you think she didn’t ask for permission to share them?

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect she had permission. Probably something like she reached out to past students who were accepted and she thought the personal statements were especially well written so she wanted to use them.

Regardless, there is absolutely no reason why you should get involved.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect she had permission. Probably something like she reached out to past students who were accepted and she thought the personal statements were especially well written so she wanted to use them.

Regardless, there is absolutely no reason why you should get involved.
Definitely wasn't intending to get involved. I was more so surprised and curious because the essays were negative examples (seemingly from rejected applicants) and I was worried about mine being shared.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely wasn't intending to get involved. I was more so surprised and curious because the essays were negative examples (seemingly from rejected applicants) and I was worried about mine being shared.
Who knows. Maybe those examples came from people who then re-worked their app and were later accepted. Maybe the rest of the app was strong and they were able to still get accepted. Maybe some general consent to share personal statements in this manner is buried in the fine print at the end of their secondary application.

Regardless--it is a good thing that an actual adcom is taking the time to give a workshop on personal statements. It seems unlikely that she would share anything sensitive. And ultimately, it's not really actionable information, so I wouldn't spend time worrying about this.

Reactions: 3 users
I recently became privy to a member of an admissions committee sharing loads of personal statements (at least a few dozen) in-full and critiquing them during a workshop. She holds these and speaks at my university quite regularly. Given the sheer amount shared, it seemed like they were taken from prior applicants. In such a case, it also seemed unlikely to me that people were prompted for consent although their names were not shared. Regardless, are adcoms allowed to share essays like that?
Concurring with above sentiments, I don't know where you got that impression, but we all have to request and document consent.

Okay... it would be awkward to get permission from a candidate who was rejected. Of course, one should also not assume that the personal statement was the sole reason a file did not advance. Also, a candidate can be rejected from one school but accepted at another. These also could be essay drafts from those involved in a SMP but who ultimately gain acceptance there through a linkage. It would be nice to know, but the admissions representative does not need to say. (IMO, they should.)