Application - Internship for radonc/radiology

Started by animula
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

animula

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear all, I know that this is something my career counsellor should know, but here I am: I'm planning to apply to radonc/radiology based on discussion with associate residency director (basically told me I have competitive CV for radonc but to be safe apply to radiology or something else as well, maybe he was just polite who knows). Well, this is the part I don't get - the programs I'm interested do not offer the PGY1, only PGY2, so I thought I apply to IM/surgery prelim (I'd rather do FM for the 1 year as that seems more relevant to general oncology patients) this year, and while in the PGY1 I apply to the rads... but then from what I understood, I apply to both this year, and will start the rad residency if I get in TWO years down the line...
So how does this really work? Do I need two tokens to apply, or do I apply once in my internship... so sorry for a naive question, but I'm totally confused by the system.
 
You apply once. You apply for your radonc/rad programs PGY2 and beyond, as well as for PGY1 prelim/TY programs. Those PGY2 programs will be offering spots this year for a 2016 start. The only reason you'd apply DURING a prelim/TY year is if you fail to match your PGY2 spot this year.