Application/Interview Expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Application/Interview Expenses $$$

• < $1,000

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • $1k-2k

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • $2k-4k

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • $4k-6k

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • $6k-8k

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • $8k-10k

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • > $10,000

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

dbutz02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what most people spent throughout the application and interviewing process. Besides too much :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan class for MCAT + AMCAS fees + secondary fees + interview flights/trips = about $5000

i am broke

I could have some sweet RIMS on my '98 Accord if not for medschool apps!

(of course being a doc will eventually provide me with the means to purchase said rims)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting to find out where I matched on Thursday. I can't wait to start residency so I can begin to pay off the credit card damage caused by applying to medical school. There doesn't that make you feel better? :laugh:

Furrball said:
I'm waiting to find out where I matched on Thursday. I can't wait to start residency so I can begin to pay off the credit card damage caused by applying to medical school. There doesn't that make you feel better? :laugh:

:eek:

rme04 said:
Kaplan class for MCAT + AMCAS fees + secondary fees + interview flights/trips = about $5000

i am broke

I painfully second that. I am disgusted at how much money one needs to apply to medical school. It's a (an economic) privilege to even attempt to become a doctor. WTF?! And some people wonder why there are so few economically disadvataged people in the field....jezz!

PMinty44 said:
I painfully second that. I am disgusted at how much money one needs to apply to medical school. It's a (an economic) privilege to even attempt to become a doctor. WTF?! And some people wonder why there are so few economically disadvataged people in the field....jezz!

Not that I am at a disadvantage, but I agree with you 100%.

My favorite response, however, is the rebuttal that the process is fair and you don't need to be economically privileged. Please, I know some one is itching to make the argument; I invite you to sound ridiculous.

ElKapitan said:
Not that I am at a disadvantage, but I agree with you 100%.

My favorite response, however, is the rebuttal that the process is fair and you don't need to be economically privileged. Please, I know some one is itching to make the argument; I invite you to sound ridiculous.

I think the use of "economically disadvantaged" in the above posts is what's ridiculous. When did "poor" become not PC?

My favorite defense of the expense of medschool apps is that it's a selective pressure, another "proof of how dedicated you are to being a doc." Gets me every time.

fakin' the funk said:
I think the use of "economically disadvantaged" in the above posts is what's ridiculous. When did "poor" become not PC?

My favorite defense of the expense of medschool apps is that it's a selective pressure, another "proof of how dedicated you are to being a doc." Gets me every time.

The truth is that schools make over 40% of their revenue from fricken secondary application fees. It is what keeps them going.

ElKapitan said:
The truth is that schools make over 40% of their revenue from fricken secondary application fees. It is what keeps them going.

do you have evidence to back that claim up??
If so I would like to see it.

Thanx.

fakin' the funk said:

I know, I know...blame my choice of words to my ultra-libral Brown education hehe ;) (oh, did I just break some unwritten privacy rule by giving away my school?!). It gets me every time.

But, yeah, I can say it: poor. Heck, I'm one of those "economically disadvantaged" or ass-poor people I'm referring to!!!!! My lack of funds was a significant impetus to get in this time around...didn't know how soon I could save the money up the money for another go-around.

ElKapitan said:

That's a high percentage. Where did you get that number? The average school has between 2000-5000 applicants. Secondaries at about $75 (above average for me personally but I don't know for certain). That's 150k-375k.
Each student accepted pays 20-40k. lets just say the class size is 120.
2.4mil-4.8mil. that's only 6-8%.

I could be overlooking something drastically because I can't say I'm an accountant but I would have guessed less then 10%. :confused:

EDIT. I'm not sure how much, if any, aamc contributes to each school..