CHSU (New Campus Close To Family- No Match Results) or Midwestern AZ (Expensive but reputable)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirromta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really value any constructive and rational opinions on a choice I'm about to make. I think I'm looking to practice EM but I don't want my options limited if that should change.

I was accepted to (2) programs.

Program 1 - CHSU in Fresno California. It's a new program and only has (2) years of classes so far. That being said there are no statistics to reference. The clinical rotations have two years of "testing" using "guest rotations" from the Dean's past school. I'm not sure how the school's class will match, the attrition rate, the board scores, etc. I do believe it will become a good school in the years to come, but that's typically after their program has passed its "incubation" stage. Pros- In California and close to family. Affiliate GME's in the region. Cons- Uncertainty in Match Opportunites.

Program 2 - Midwestern Arizona. This school has an an established reputation, match rate, and programs their class matches into. I was impressed when I toured the campus and seemed like a place where you can make any opportunity you want. There are research opportunities if you want them and the class has several students matching into very competitive specialties (3) in ortho, (4) in derm, (1) in rad onc, amongst others. Pros- Reputation and match opportunities. Cons- $88k more (omitting interest), further from family.

I'm leaning towards Midwestern even though I'd love to pick CHSU. But perhaps there is something here I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it close enough to family that you could live with them and save money?

Nope - 3 Hours Away
Honestly, if it was me I would just go to Fresno. That is just because midwestern is too expense. You really need to think about debt load. No DO school will give you an amazing advantage that it’s worth paying that price.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if it was me I would just go to Fresno. That is just because midwestern is too expense. You really need to think about debt load. No DO school will give you an amazing advantage that it’s worth paying that price.
I honestly would love to pick Fresno. Would you be concerned about there bing no data on board scores and matching? I tend to skew more conservative on that point

I honestly would love to pick Fresno. Would you be concerned about there bing no data on board scores and matching? I tend to skew more conservative on that point
Yes I would be concerned. Is this concern worth the price tag difference? Only you can decide. I don’t think so. What is the cost of attendance at Fresno?

The school is in Clovis fyi, idk if it matters much. CHSU as of right now has no federal loan options and is for-profit, so take that as you wish.

Reactions: 1 user
The school is in Clovis fyi, idk if it matters much. CHSU as of right now has no federal loan options and is for-profit, so take that as you wish.
That would change things, the no federal loans. Don’t do that

3 hours away might as well be 12 to a busy med student. But if it’s no federal loans then yeah run don’t walk.

I heard that they may become eligible for federal loans for 2022-2023, but I'm not sure.
That is contingent on final accreditation by COCA.

We just heard that another for- profit medical school (California Northstate) apparently failed its attempt at full accreditation. Be very wary of for-profits.

Thank you all! I appreciate the responses. It'll be interesting to see what happens to CHSU in the years to come, however.

I would to the established school in this case.

I'm at a new school. What makes a good school good are the TEACHERS FIRST! You get some crappy teachers that are constantly turning over it'll make your life a living hell. Try studying 20 hours a day because they don't teach based on the boards.

I would to the established school in this case.

I'm at a new school. What makes a good school good are the TEACHERS FIRST! You get some crappy teachers that are constantly turning over it'll make your life a living hell. Try studying 20 hours a day because they don't teach based on the boards.
Thank you! You guys have reaffirmed my decision to go AZCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Nearly all DO schools are the exact same. Unless you're going to a state school with their own hospital, it will likely not make any difference. You will learn to survive the curriculum one way or another