Application process? v confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PenguinPal506

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hiiii i’m new to being prevet and i was wondering how the application process was?

I want to apply for the next cycle. if i applied in may 2019, what year would i start to attend vet school? and when would i take the GRE?

i know this must be a silly question but i’d appreciate any help i can get! thank you

Members don't see this ad.

So im going to answer your question with a question: what is your experience in vet med?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many colleges have pre-health career counselors - check to see if yours has one. If not if you google "applying to vet school" or similar many schools have compiled FAQ. Here's an example FAQ that will probably answer many of your questions: https://www.vasci.umass.edu/sites/vasci/files/applying_to_vet_school_faqs.pdf

Note that even if your school does have a pre-health counselor, you should still find the information you need by checking with the schools you are interested in about their requirements - information changes from year to year and your school's counselor may not always have the most up to date information.

If you apply in 2019 and are accepted, you will begin school during the fall of 2020.

Usually the latest you can take the GRE is around mid-August because final applications are due in September. GRE scores are valid for 5 years, so take it anytime you feel ready. I think many people recommend taking the GRE at least 6 months before your submission date so that you can re-take it if you are not happy with your scores.

Reactions: 1 user
So im going to answer your question with a question: what is your experience in vet med?

I just recently got a job as a vet tech so I have about 100 hours so far in experience. I am also planning of volunteering at the SPCA once I graduate in December! any other experiences you guys can recommend?

I just recently got a job as a vet tech so I have about 100 hours so far in experience. I am also planning of volunteering at the SPCA once I graduate in December! any other experiences you guys can recommend?

Any experience you can get, honestly.having several hundred hours is generally a cut off for several schools and is a good starting point on seeing whether or not the profession is for you.

Reactions: 1 users

Wait another year and decide if you really want to pursue this career when you've been more exposed to it. Get as many hours in as many areas of vet med as you can in the meantime.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you completed the pre-reqs to apply to vet school?

Did you go to tech school? (Maybe got some farm and lab animal experience here?)

What kind of things are you able to do at your clinic?

I agree you'll need more hours but quality is important.

Do you have any other animal experiences?