Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehara1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the "Additional Information" section on my application, it asks to explain periods of unemployment or not being in school greater than six months. I quit my job 6 months ago to this day exactly (weird I know) back in June, so I'm literally right at 6 months to the day since I have not worked, and I finished my second bachelor's degree last December.

My question is, what do you guys think I should put in this section? Part of the reason I quit my job was because I had a Kaplan course starting and I just wanted to be fully focused on studying for my OAT exam, but do you think its even necessary to fill this section if its been exactly six months and a couple days give or take?

Also, I know apps have been open in since the summer and I am just sending mine in now, but do you think I am sending it too late? I know its definitely on the later side of the cycle, but some of the schools deadlines are as late as next March and April, so is there still hope sending in an application in December?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools have late deadlines, but still operate off of rolling admissions so that is something to keep in mind. That being said, I know of people who applied in January and were accepted. It's not impossible to get accepted late in the cycle, it's just a little tougher and not as ideal. I feel like some of it also depends on what your application and stats are like. Also, have you already taken the OAT?

Another thing to consider is that some schools might have little "waves" of seats open up as applicants who accepted offers at multiple schools decide where they want to go and then drop their other seats. (But also keep in mind that schools also have a pool of waitlisted students to consider when seats open up)

You could always call the schools that you want to apply to and ask what they would advise, and how many seats are left, etc.

I don't know how much that helps, as this is mostly speculation on my part from what I've learned from info sessions, current students, and this forum.

Thanks so much for the info. Yea I took the OAT in the summer, but scored a little less than the averages of the schools I am applying to and I called some schools to ask what they recommend me do and they all suggested I retake the exam. My retake is on the 23rd so just about 10 days.

As far as applying, I know its on the later side and I am going to hope for the best and see what happens. I feel I have a strong application and personal statement, but part of the problem with me not sending my app in sooner was because had I done so, I would not have been able to indicate that I had a retake planned for December, which is why I needed to hold onto it until everything was figured out.

I've worked really hard in preparing for this retake, so I'm hoping with a good score that schools can see past how late it is coming in. Like you said its rolling admission, so I know there are a lot of other students who have their things turned in and are probably wait listed, but I guess all I can do is try my best on the test and hope for the best.

Also, do you have any advice regarding my first question in the original post regarding the "Additional Information" question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with re-taking your OAT! I hope it goes well!

And like I said before, I know of people who got accepted in January, and a friend of mine currently at Pacific says that some of her classmates interviewed in February and got in! Realistically, it is definitely tougher to compete for those remaining spots, but there is definitely hope, especially if you have a strong application. Just make sure to be really prepared for any interviews you attend. And more spots will open up as students withdraw their seats.

As for your first questions, I'm not really sure. I would maybe explain the lapse in-between finishing your undergrad degree and applying, but I'm not sure about the unemployment part because that 6 month cut-off is so close. Maybe call schools and ask what they would recommend? They would know best what they're looking for! Although, as you stated you took that time off to study for the OAT, so I don't see it being a big issue (hopefully) or hindrance in getting accepted.

Sounds great thank you for your kinds words and advice. I really appreciate it.

Sounds great thank you for your kinds words and advice. I really appreciate it.

No problemo! The process of applying can be super stressful and nerve-wracking, so don't be afraid to call schools and ask them exactly what they want. That way it leaves less speculation and guessing on your part and can ease your mind a little :)