Application strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemmonhead

Your ego is not your amigo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am reapplying to DO & MD programs. My stats are ok 3.85PB GPA, 3.37 cGPA, 10/10/10. Decent extracurriculars. Interviewed MD late last cycle and was waitlisted.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not the approach I am taking to improve my application is a good one. I waited tables for the past year and when it looked like I was not going to get in this spring I started to look for medically related jobs and started scribing 2-3 days per week in July. I am also continuing to volunteer. I would like to do more but cannot afford to from a financial perspective. Scribing pays dirt and I'm on my own financially. To supplement my income I'm also working at a restaurant. I've been told that as a reapplicant I need to be working 40 hours per week on something that improves my app but that doesn't seem to be a realistic option for me financially. Additionally, I was told by an admissions director that scribing would benefit my application more than accepting a job in clinical research.

So I guess my question is, in the event I have to apply again, will it be an issue that I am only scribing 2-3 days per week while continuing to wait tables? If not, what would be a better path? Would appreciate your input @gyngyn @DrMidlife

Members don't see this ad.