Application strategy

Started by lemmonhead
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lemmonhead

Your ego is not your amigo
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am reapplying to DO & MD programs. My stats are ok 3.85PB GPA, 3.37 cGPA, 10/10/10. Decent extracurriculars. Interviewed MD late last cycle and was waitlisted.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not the approach I am taking to improve my application is a good one. I waited tables for the past year and when it looked like I was not going to get in this spring I started to look for medically related jobs and started scribing 2-3 days per week in July. I am also continuing to volunteer. I would like to do more but cannot afford to from a financial perspective. Scribing pays dirt and I'm on my own financially. To supplement my income I'm also working at a restaurant. I've been told that as a reapplicant I need to be working 40 hours per week on something that improves my app but that doesn't seem to be a realistic option for me financially. Additionally, I was told by an admissions director that scribing would benefit my application more than accepting a job in clinical research.

So I guess my question is, in the event I have to apply again, will it be an issue that I am only scribing 2-3 days per week while continuing to wait tables? If not, what would be a better path? Would appreciate your input @gyngyn @DrMidlife