Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian looking to apply in the US.

I plan to write my MCAT after my third year of undergrad (Aug 2008).
When is the optimal time to apply to medical schools for entry in Sept 2009 with respect to 'rolling admissions' and getting the application in as early as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

You pretty much answered your own question.. as early as possible. You should take your MCAT in the spring (April/May or earlier) and start getting your personal statement and letters of recommendation gathered in the spring semester.. definitely BEFORE the summer. If your PS is ready and your LORs are in, you can request transcripts in May and then fill out and submit the AMCAS as soon as it's available in June/July.

start getting your personal statement and letters of recommendation gathered in the spring semester.. definitely BEFORE the summer. If your PS is ready and your LORs are in, you can request transcripts in May and then fill out and submit the AMCAS as soon as it's available in June/July.

spring of my third year or spring of my final year?

Members don't see this ad :)
spring of my third year or spring of my final year?
spring of your junior year. that's when you'll be applying. so if August 2008 is when you're going to be applying, you need to be thinking about getting your LORs around January of 2008 and start working on your PS around February-March 2008, take the MCAT in April/March, and submit your file that summer. Getting your LOR writers to start them early is key, since it can take a couple of months before they actually get the letters written.

Since I plan to write the test in August, will i still be able to apply "early"? Is there even a point? will they not look at my application until my MCAT scores are in?

Also, if I fail to get accepted and I try to apply the next year will I need to get new LORs and a new PS or can reuse them even though they are a year or so old?

yes you can still apply early, but why take it in August? it would be much better to take it earlier, in my opinion. some schools will still consider you before getting your MCAT score.

you can reuse LORs but it's usually a good idea to rewrite the PS

Since I plan to write the test in August, will i still be able to apply "early"? Is there even a point? will they not look at my application until my MCAT scores are in?

Also, if I fail to get accepted and I try to apply the next year will I need to get new LORs and a new PS or can reuse them even though they are a year or so old?

as the others have indicated, you need to take the MCAT in the April/May 2008 time frame to put yourself in the strongest position to apply in june 2008 for entry into med school in aug 2009. if you must take the MCAT in august 2008, you may still apply for 2009, but that is later in the cycle and your chances are diminished.

I know my chances are diminished but I was disappointed with my result last year so next summer I really want to focus, study hard and do well. I have a full semester of undergrad from Jan-April and there is no way I could study as much as I'd like in order to do well on April/May MCAT. I would prefer to go to med school in 2009, but if I take a test in April/May I know I won't have a high enough MCAT score. If I have to take a year off to get into the school I want, then so be it; I could live with that.

So, from what I understand even though I am applying early, my application isnt considered complete until my MCAT scores are submitted? Therefore, I am not actually applying early if I take the August MCAT?

so just start studying now if it's that big of an issue. surely you can spare 3-4 hours per week over the next 6 months to prepare for this exam.

I know my chances are diminished but I was disappointed with my result last year so next summer I really want to focus, study hard and do well. I have a full semester of undergrad from Jan-April and there is no way I could study as much as I'd like in order to do well on April/May MCAT. I would prefer to go to med school in 2009, but if I take a test in April/May I know I won't have a high enough MCAT score. If I have to take a year off to get into the school I want, then so be it; I could live with that.

So, from what I understand even though I am applying early, my application isnt considered complete until my MCAT scores are submitted? Therefore, I am not actually applying early if I take the August MCAT?

i took an extra year for exactly that reason and i am very glad i did. i'm working this year while i interview and wait for decisions. will take a couple of months off next summer before i start school. so i practice medicine for 49 instead of 50 years. who cares?!

i highly recommend taking your time but be sure to apply with your best shot -- and that means applying in JUNE!!!

well i am in a similar situation..the only problem is that my GPA in my first two years i not strong enough for me to apply just on the foundation of my 3rd year GPA....Id like med schools to pay more attention to a my 3rd and 4th year GPA..as opposed to 2nd and 3rd....I know they look at all, but iD like them to see the trend in 3rd and 4th more....having said that, if you apply in august and start your last year in september...how/when will the admcom look at the 4th year marks? or would they screen me out based on not meeting the gpa cutoffs, which would beat the purpose of applying now...oh, all of this is given that the PS, the mcats, the LORS are all top notch along with ECs.

well i am in a similar situation..the only problem is that my GPA in my first two years i not strong enough for me to apply just on the foundation of my 3rd year GPA....Id like med schools to pay more attention to a my 3rd and 4th year GPA..as opposed to 2nd and 3rd....I know they look at all, but iD like them to see the trend in 3rd and 4th more....having said that, if you apply in august and start your last year in september...how/when will the admcom look at the 4th year marks? or would they screen me out based on not meeting the gpa cutoffs, which would beat the purpose of applying now...oh, all of this is given that the PS, the mcats, the LORS are all top notch along with ECs.
they won't look at them until December.. you'll probably already be rejected.

might as well just wait an extra year.

I would almost like to apply to a very limited number of schools solely for experience applying, so to speak, even though i know im gonna get rejected. And what i mean by this is, making sure everything runs smoothly and on schedule, knowing when certain deadlines are so that the following year there are no surprises. Would anyone recommend this? other than money, any reason not to do this?

I did it the first time I applied and it was good to learn the application procedure and get an interview, but it was also very expensive.

Two things:

a)Will I be able to study enough with all this application stuff going on? (August 2009 MCAT)

b)Will the admission boards know that while I am applying to their school, I am also re-writting my MCAT? My fear is that if they do know that I am re-writing it, they will all say come back next year??

Two things:

a)Will I be able to study enough with all this application stuff going on? (August 2009 MCAT)

b)Will the admission boards know that while I am applying to their school, I am also re-writting my MCAT? My fear is that if they do know that I am re-writing it, they will all say come back next year??
yes to both.