You are in a different position than I was while I was applying; however, I'll give you some imformation so that you have somewhat of an idea.
I was working towards a Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology. During my sophmore year, I began volunteering at a the Speech & Hearing Department in a hospital and an Autism Center. I volunteered about 4 hours a week from my sophmore year to my senior year. The summer after my junior year, I prepared for the GRE exam. I took private classes and devoted all my free time to studying for the exam. In August I took the exam 2 times and 1 time again in September. A lot of people that I knew didn't even take it more than once but I wanted to get the best score possible. In August I also started writing my resume for graduate school applications. In September I made a list of the schools that I wanted to apply to and wrote down their application deadlines. At the end of October I printed out the applications (if available to send through mail - some are only online now) so that I had an idea of what each school was looking for. Early November I wrote my admissions essays and started getting the mailings ready. I waited until my fall grades were out to send my transcript because I knew they would push up my GPA. Late December, once the grades were out, I sent out all of my applications. Late January, I began receiving my interview calls and in February I got my first decision letter and it was cake after that! I would say that it was about a 9 month process.
Typically, the pre-requisites are as follows (although keep in mind that they do vary from program to program):
-Intro to Communication Disorders
-Phonetics
-Language Development/Linguistics
-Intro to Audiology
-Speech & Hearing Science