Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidlove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone started the application process yet? :)

It would be nice to see the progress of the application on this board :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I started reapplying yesterday. Hopefully this will be the last time applying. I still have a lot to do on my application though.

i started this morning...i'm pretty much done with all the basics (biographics, background, colleges attended, etc)

i have a question though...for entering courses it says " include all repeated, failed, and withdrawn courses". My first semester of college i got a D and an F in two courses but i repeated them and i chose grade delete for those two courses. Do i still write that i got a D and an F? or do i put a W? On my transcript it says "E" for "exempt". i'm confused

edit: would i put those courses under "freshman forgiveness"??

Members don't see this ad :)
i started this morning...i'm pretty much done with all the basics (biographics, background, colleges attended, etc)

i have a question though...for entering courses it says " include all repeated, failed, and withdrawn courses". My first semester of college i got a D and an F in two courses but i repeated them and i chose grade delete for those two courses. Do i still write that i got a D and an F? or do i put a W? On my transcript it says "E" for "exempt". i'm confused

i would contact PharmCAS on that. you dont want to assume or take someones word on SDN for granted and have PharmCAS contact you in January telling you your file is not complete

I, too, have started my application. I got through inputting my grades and that already tired me out! When are you guys planning to submit?

I started it as well. Reapplying this year so it wasn't as complicated and stressful as last year. Done with everything except making some adjustments to the personal statement. I wouldn't be submitting until end of June after my Spring grades come out.

I just started PharmCAS application this morning. I spent two full hours on entering grades. Finally, I got that done.

I have a question. My parents have a company and I work for them but I don't get paid. Should I put this under "EXTRA CURRICULA" or "WORK EXPERIENCE"?

Thanks, guys!

hmm thats a tough one. I work at this pharmacy and I don't get paid either. I decided to list it under work experiences but im not sure if that would be the best place.

hmm thats a tough one. I work at this pharmacy and I don't get paid either. I decided to list it under work experiences but im not sure if that would be the best place.

Most definitely an EC. You are volunteering your time, and according to Pharmcas, volunteer work is an EC.

Good luck.

wow, you guys are so on top of the application. I haven't started mine yet but soon will.

Good luck all! Keep posting for the progress :)

wow...i'm impressed with how many of you have actively begun the application process....that's a good idea. you can never predict hold-ups...transcripts and lor delays, etc. good luck with the process!

If it's on your transcript it goes on. If not, it doesn't.

Most definitely an EC. You are volunteering your time, and according to Pharmcas, volunteer work is an EC.

Good luck.

But isn't it also work exp and in that case it would be listed under that. Don't they look for exp working in a pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my pharmcas application--all but the ps. I'm reapplying and I'll be writing a new ps. hopefully it'll take me no more than one week. happy writing to all of you! :oops:

But isn't it also work exp and in that case it would be listed under that. Don't they look for exp working in a pharmacy?

Pharmcas considers anything paid to be work experience. From the instructions: "Enter related activities you would like your designated pharmacy colleges and schools to review. Do NOT include paid work experience in this section."

Either way, the colleges of pharmacy will see it. You will be golden!

And yes, they do look for experience working in a pharmacy. :p

question: do i have to put any planned courses i will be taking? if so which ones? i doubt i'll have to put my entire next year's schedule in pharmcas, will i?

I just finished my pharmcas application--all but the ps. I'm reapplying and I'll be writing a new ps. hopefully it'll take me no more than one week. happy writing to all of you! :oops:

i'm in the same boat...i will write mine by the end of june because i just got a job at CVS and i still need the experience in order to write about it in the PS :)

question: do i have to put any planned courses i will be taking? if so which ones? i doubt i'll have to put my entire next year's schedule in pharmcas, will i?

i'm in the same boat...i will write mine by the end of june because i just got a job at CVS and i still need the experience in order to write about it in the PS :)

You do have to put in all planned courses.

I took a course that had zero credit hours and I failed it.....do I have to report it? I also failed a 1hr pass/fail gym course, but retook it (Now it says "P").

I transfered to a different school and it didn't accept my failed courses (2 Fs for a grand total of 1credit hour....lol).

does anyone know if after you send in your pharmcas application (paid and everything) can you add another designated school? say.. months later?

does anyone know if after you send in your pharmcas application (paid and everything) can you add another designated school? say.. months later?

You can add another school. You just have to pay the additional fees.

i just finished loma linda's app yesterday. submitting today!! and i'm hoping to submit pharmcas by the end of this week, before finals so I can have a relaxing summer vacation! =) Happy writing to all =)

i just finished loma linda's app yesterday. submitting today!! and i'm hoping to submit pharmcas by the end of this week, before finals so I can have a relaxing summer vacation! =) Happy writing to all =)

wow, how are you able to get your LORs and transcripts in so quickly? wouldn't you want to wait for your spring grades to be included as well?

also, if you were on dean's list at different times for different schools, do you only put dean's list once? or do you put it for each school?

also, are you guys putting planned courses just UP TO fall 2007, or are you including planned courses up to spring 2008?

also, are you guys putting planned courses just UP TO fall 2007, or are you including planned courses up to spring 2008?
i'm putting planned courses up to fall 2007 because i'm not sure what courses will be available at my school for the winter and the spring. this point brings up a question though. by putting the classes that we are planning to take 2007, do we have to follow through with the class (i.e. we can't drop the class because it doesn't work out - in the alloted amount of time, of course, so it won't appear on our transcript)?

wow, how are you able to get your LORs and transcripts in so quickly? wouldn't you want to wait for your spring grades to be included as well?

also, if you were on dean's list at different times for different schools, do you only put dean's list once? or do you put it for each school?

yeah even i want to know abt deans list?

I put those as different "awards" on PharmCAS since it asks for the time of honor awarded. It doesn't make sense to me just to put those once. (If just put once, what should we do with the time?)

doesn't pharmcas wait until August for forward information to the schools

if so, does it make a difference if everything's done by June, or July?

I put those as different "awards" on PharmCAS since it asks for the time of honor awarded. It doesn't make sense to me just to put those once. (If just put once, what should we do with the time?)

i applied last year and i listed deans list only once. i'm pretty sure there was something in the directions/instructions that stated list it only once (you may want to go over the guidelines for this cycle). i know earning the deans list distinction sometimes takes a lot of work so it's hard to reduce it down to listing it only once but unless the rules have changed, i think it's what they want you to do. regarding the date, i used the first month/year ever earned regardless of the institution...good luck with your apps

i'm putting planned courses up to fall 2007 because i'm not sure what courses will be available at my school for the winter and the spring. this point brings up a question though. by putting the classes that we are planning to take 2007, do we have to follow through with the class (i.e. we can't drop the class because it doesn't work out - in the alloted amount of time, of course, so it won't appear on our transcript)?

No, you don't have to follow through. The fall update window will open sometime around December and you would want to update at that point.

doesn't pharmcas wait until August for forward information to the schools

if so, does it make a difference if everything's done by June, or July?

No, it shouldn't because most schools start evaluating around Aug. Keep in mind that the schools look at the date you submit everything to PharmCAS which includes transcripts, etc. The benefit of submitting the application early is that you can make sure that everything is received by PharmCAS on time. Often, transcripts are delayed when processed by PharmCAS.

Where exactly do we put this award called "deans list". Is it going to be part of the awards and scholarships or extracuricullar. This is because i think somewhere in the application, it says we can put it in the extracurricular but it does not sound right.

Does the Federal S.M.A.R.T. Grant count as a scholarship (Since it has a 3.0 requirement?)

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions200708.pdf (p24)
Says planned through Summer 2007 (doesn't make sense to me, but p28 says I'm wrong)

I took a course that had zero credit hours and I failed it.....do I have to report it? I also failed a 1hr pass/fail gym course, but retook it (Now it says "P").

I transfered to a different school and it didn't accept my failed courses (2 Fs for a grand total of 1credit hour....lol).

https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2008/faq/pcas_coursework.shtml#four

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions200708.pdf (p24)

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions200708.pdf (p.36) Yes.

Where exactly do we put this award called "deans list". Is it going to be part of the awards and scholarships or extracuricullar. This is because i think somewhere in the application, it says we can put it in the extracurricular but it does not sound right.

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions200708.pdf (p.30)
Dean's list is specifically mentioned under extra-curriculars. It says if awarded multiple times to list only once.
(I'd say to follow the instructions, even though I agree it doesn't sound right.)

I hope this gives a little more "official" credence to answers given so far.

my application is complete in a sense that i've submitted everything, all my community colleges transcripts sent, LOR forms handed to all my references, and since i am waiting for my spring grades to post in my last quarter, i've set up so that my college will automatically submit my transcript once my grades have posted.

for loma linda, there's a section that says "list honors, awards, offices, and scholarships you have received" and that's where i placed dean's list. i put the number of quarters i received it since i had two or three quarters without receiving it.

for pharmcas, i put it in EC (as directed by pharmcas). our advisor told us to put it just once. i also wrote the number of quarters i received (not tedious with the exact quarters, since they'll see it on our transcripts).

i think it's better to put planned courses up until you'll complete all your pharm prereqs, and even better up until you graduate. at least it gives the committee a chance to see that you'll for sure have their requirements met by the time you get into pharm school.

u dont have to follow through the exact time of the courses you say you'll be taken (exactly during winter or spring, or another quarter), but just make sure u'll take all the classes you say u'll take within the next year. unless it's not pharm related (prereq).

my application is complete in a sense that i've submitted everything, all my community colleges transcripts sent, LOR forms handed to all my references, and since i am waiting for my spring grades to post in my last quarter, i've set up so that my college will automatically submit my transcript once my grades have posted.

for loma linda, there's a section that says "list honors, awards, offices, and scholarships you have received" and that's where i placed dean's list. i put the number of quarters i received it since i had two or three quarters without receiving it.

for pharmcas, i put it in EC (as directed by pharmcas). our advisor told us to put it just once. i also wrote the number of quarters i received (not tedious with the exact quarters, since they'll see it on our transcripts).

why did you put deans list in EC in pharmcas? shouldn't it be under honors and scholarships?

why did you put deans list in EC in pharmcas? shouldn't it be under honors and scholarships?

PharmDY is referring to that long pharmcas instruction pdf and it has deans list as an example of an EC, which I think is a mistake. I put it under honors/scholarships personally.

PharmDY is referring to that long pharmcas instruction pdf and it has deans list as an example of an EC, which I think is a mistake. I put it under honors/scholarships personally.

I had originally put it in honors/scholarships but after I saw the pdf, I placed it under EC. I will call PharmCAS tomorrow morning to make sure where it really belongs to (i think it should be honors/scholarships too). I'll make sure to report back.

^no, i saw it, but it just didn't sound right. :D

OK, so i just got off the phone with a pharmcas rep.
he said to list it under Honors and Scholarships, and IF you got it for other terms, list the other terms in the EC section. I was like.. are you sure? :confused: and he said yes. Since i got deans list for multiple schools, he said to list the two different schools separateley in the Honors and Scholarships section.

Maybe you guys can call and see if they said the same thing. The person I spoke with was Chris, so if another rep says the same thing, then I guess we know what to do.

^no, i saw it, but it just didn't sound right. :D

OK, so i just got off the phone with a pharmcas rep.
he said to list it under Honors and Scholarships, and IF you got it for other terms, list the other terms in the EC section. I was like.. are you sure? :confused: and he said yes. Since i got deans list for multiple schools, he said to list the two different schools separateley in the Honors and Scholarships section.

Maybe you guys can call and see if they said the same thing. The person I spoke with was Chris, so if another rep says the same thing, then I guess we know what to do.

I don't remember if you're limited in your ECs, but you are definitely limited in the number of honors/awards. If you have other, more significant honors/awards, I'd just leave Deans List in ECs so you don't hit the limit of 5 and have to leave something off.

I don't remember if you're limited in your ECs, but you are definitely limited in the number of honors/awards. If you have other, more significant honors/awards, I'd just leave Deans List in ECs so you don't hit the limit of 5 and have to leave something off.

I agree... Thanks to Farmercyst and terse!! I finally know where to put the dean's list.. :laugh:

I have questions about e-submit and letter of recommendation

Only After we e-submit, the pharmcas reference request will be sent to our professors, won't it?
so before we e-submit, we can go ahead and enter our professor's name, right?
I am so confusing, and should I select e-LORs or paper letter of recommendation ? I know e-LORS is faster, but will it have the same evaluation form compared to the paper letter of recommendation
How about the question I waived my right to access to this reference ?
this is my first time apply to pharmacy
please help me

Can we e-submit before having the letter of recommendation done ?
and how can we have the professors submit the e-LORs, I am applying this year, and everything is so confusing
Thanks u

Yes, you can submit before having the LORs done. You can monitor/check when PharmCAS receives your letters as the status page is updated a few days after they receive them (as is the status of your transcripts, paper mailings, etc.). To submit an eLOR your professor, boss, etc. will have to follow the prompt sent by PharmCAS to their email address you entered on your PharmCAS application. I think I remember getting an email message stating when my references were sent their email prompts. It might be a good idea to double check with your references if they received them or not because it's easy for them to mistake the message as spam or junk mail.

Good luck applying....don't let the confusion get you down....if all else fails, call PharmCAS....they were very willing to answer all my questions.

Only After we e-submit, the pharmcas reference request will be sent to our professors, won't it?
so before we e-submit, we can go ahead and enter our professor's name, right?
I am so confusing, and should I select e-LORs or paper letter of recommendation ? I know e-LORS is faster, but will it have the same evaluation form compared to the paper letter of recommendation
How about the question I waived my right to access to this reference ?
this is my first time apply to pharmacy
please help me

I would suggest not e-submitting the entire application before your three LORs have been received. I'm not entirely sure of your ability to change your requested submitters if one should back out or become indisposed if you've already e-submitted. I'd do e-LOR unless there is some compelling reason why you can't. Anything you can do to make it easy for PharmCAS just makes it easier and less time consuming for you. I can't imagine why they'd have a different format for e-LOR vs "normal" LOR, but if it's different it should only be due to the nature of the delivery method. (Perhaps different instructions for returning the LOR, eg signature across the envelope seal type stuff, not content of LOR type stuff.)

There's a thread about waive vs not waive (last couple days, should be easy to find without search, possibly easier with search). You can find it if you'd like for why I have this opinion, but my opinion would be waive.

i have a question
does pharmcas gpa include all classes taken or just the prerequisites
... the core classes at a college that are needed for a degree? ( im sure its mentioned in the instructions on pharmcas but i need a quick answer fast:( )

@tckc and Farmercyst : thank you so much for your quick reply
My second question is about the pre-requisite courses. Do we must complete all the prerequisite courses to be accepted ?
and I am going to get my BS degree in May 2008 , so should I be considerd as degree-application or non-degree application when I apply to Loma Linda

One again, I really appreciate for your help and support ~^^

i have a question
does pharmcas gpa include all classes taken or just the prerequisites
... the core classes at a college that are needed for a degree? ( im sure its mentioned in the instructions on pharmcas but i need a quick answer fast:( )

PharmCAS calculates cumulative GPA (every class/every subject/every school)

Math GPA (Every Math Class as designated by you when you select the type of class Math/Science/English/etc)

Science GPA (Every science class including, Biology, Chemstry, Other Science, etc. again based on the selection you enter into PharmCAS)

There is no "Pre-req GPA". Essentially given the variety of pre-reqs required for the various PharmCAS schools, it wouldn't really be feasible for them to do this. They'd have to calculate a separate Pre-req GPA for each school you sent your application to. Now some PharmCAS schools may independently calculate you pre-req GPA, but it wouldn't be reported in PharmCAS like the other three are.

@tckc and Farmercyst : thank you so much for your quick reply
My second question is about the pre-requisite courses. Do we must complete all the prerequisite courses to be accepted ?
and I am going to get my BS degree in May 2008 , so should I be considerd as degree-application or non-degree application when I apply to Loma Linda

One again, I really appreciate for your help and support ~^^

If you can't find the answer in their application instructions, I'd call them to be sure. The last thing you want to do is get this answer wrong. It'll be false information if they're looking for if you "currently" hold the degree. It'll be chopping you legs out from under you if you say you don't have one and they are just looking for "before matriculation". I put that I'd have my degree by Spring '07, but the format may have changed since I applied last year.