Applications for RCSI entry 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, any other canadians applying to RCSI for medicine fall 2013

Members don't see this ad.

well, any other canadians applying to RCSI for medicine fall 2013

what are your backgrounds, have you submitted the application to ABProgram?
I have applied as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
ABP application done! Now have to hope for an interview. I am grade 12 now, have a brother already at RCSI and I know the interview really counts so be well prepared

Hey all, I sent in my application packet to Atlantic Bridge last week. Is this the right place to post stats, discuss schools and such for North American students going (hopefully) to Irish schools?

Another concern... GP training posts are not given to foreign doctors in Ireland .... ((

Ok. I am sick of the negatives that are posted on a number of threads. Let me point out a few truths. If you think RCSI is expensive, consider this. If you attend a private university in the US you have to pay tuition for four years of undergrad and then if you are lucky enough to get into a medical program in the US you then pay for four more years, I think that adds up to eight years tuition. If you apply to RCSI with AP courses and get into the 5 year program you pay for... let me see- five years. And of course in the US you could end up with a relatively useless B.SC. and not get into medicine anyway. Once you graduate from medicine it does not matter where you studied as long as you get a residency, and no matter where you studied medicine, all residents get paid the same in any one hospital. It is sort of like no one loos at your elementary school marks once you make it into that good high school your parents sent you too! Oh yes, and what about those private secondary school fees?
Bottom line is that if you look at any prestigious hospital in North America you will find very successful Irish trained physicians there. I willl consider those of you who consider training in Ireland as somehow second rate as ignorant rather than arrogant. Ireland and the UK produce excellent graduates.
As for any suggestion that Irish grads who started after high school are too young, I would point out that in North America that is the way it used to be done too. It changed because universities could make more money that way.
If you don't want to study in Ireland, don't apply. Those of us who consider it a privilege to apply don't need you there.

I applied, I am finishing my undergrad though..but i am excited to talk to people who applied to!

I applied to! I am in my second year of Undergrad but applied to NUIG and UCD for the 6-year program. Would be an absolute dream to get in! Now the waiting game....

Anyone hear about interviews yet via Atalantic Bridge?

"applications will be sent out beginning in mid-January" - ABP

So I wouldn't expect any news soon

I got an interview from RSCI via ABP 2 weeks ago, it's in Toronto March 4/5/6. I'm a Canadian (East coast) applicant, if that helps. I'm actually in the UK right now for an interview, so I was thrilled to not have to shell out the travel money to come out here again!

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)

I got an interview from RSCI via ABP 2 weeks ago, it's in Toronto March 4/5/6. I'm a Canadian (East coast) applicant, if that helps. I'm actually in the UK right now for an interview, so I was thrilled to not have to shell out the travel money to come out here again!

Best of luck

Best of luck
I'm interviewing in Toronto in that block too! Good luck, and maybe I'll see you there. :)

Oh, I'm from Toronto and have applied for the 4 year programs.

Anyone else super excited/nervous about interviews this week?? I can't believe it's already the weekend before!

I was pretty nervous about the interview as well. I'm glad it's all over with. When were you guys scheduled for your interviews? Mine was on Monday morning.

I was pretty nervous about the interview as well. I'm glad it's all over with. When were you guys scheduled for your interviews? Mine was on Monday morning.

Hey, mine was Monday morning as well for GEP. It was at 9am. Maybe I saw you there!

Mine was suppose to be at 10 am but I got sent in a bit early. I probably did see you there! Arthur from ABP was super nice and introduced me to someone who had just been interviewed before I headed in for mine. He was pretty good at calming all the students down.

my interview was yesterday. if anyone remembers a guy with an orange tie with dolphins on it, that was me :)

I'm interviewing in Toronto in that block too! Good luck, and maybe I'll see you there. :)

Oh, I'm from Toronto and have applied for the 4 year programs.

I applied to the GEP programme as well, and FedEx delivered a big fat package with my acceptance yesterday!! A few weeks left in my undergrad and now everything is falling into place. Apparently there is another package on it's way for me but the address was incomplete - I'm going to guess UCD because when I was at the interviews in Toronto they told me they had made their decisions and were sending out acceptances soon. Also got accepted in the Caribbean, but I don't think that's the lifestyle for me, even though it is cheaper than RCSI. Decisions, decisions.

Good luck to everyone else, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

PS. Just FYI - McGill undergrad, Canadian citizen, but working on getting my Irish citizenship as well.

Hey! I am at McGill right now as well finishing up a Master's.
I still have not been able to pick up my fedex package yet but I am guessing it is from RCSI.
If you do decide to go to RCSI we should grab a beer sometime in Montreal.

ps. this snow is ridiculous!

I also applied for the 4 year GEP program at RCSI and I was admitted yesterday! I am originally from Toronto- currently finishing up my Masters at the University of Toronto and I also did my undergrad at McGill (seems like there will be a lot of McGillers over there!) Does anyone know if there's a facebook group for this class (RCSI GEP class of 2017)?

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting :)

Hey all! Finishing up at UWO, got into RCSI yesterday as well! If someone starts the group, let me know and we can start getting to know each other!

Hey everyone in the GEP program! Prairiegirl started a group under the name of RCSI GEP Class of 2017. PM me if you can't find it.

Hey everyone in the GEP program! Prairiegirl started a group under the name of RCSI GEP Class of 2017. PM me if you can't find it.

I keep checking the group to see if there are new people lol

Hey everyone! I got accepted to the GEP Program at RCSI on Monday, and I'm really excited and looking forward to meeting everyone else who is going. For some reason, I can't find the group at all... would someone mind posting/sending me the link? Thanks in advance!!

Hey! add Shirley to facebook and she will send an invitation for the group!

facebook.com/shirley.hasdan

Hi there
I got accepted to RCSI about a week ago for the 6 year program.
I am unsure if I should wait for NUIG/UCD's response or accept this offer before the deadline April 8th 2013. Cost is also a factor as RCSI tuition fees are greater than the other two.
Has anyone else been accepted to any universities?
Any suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks
-Nirm9848

Hi there
I got accepted to RCSI about a week ago for the 6 year program.
I am unsure if I should wait for NUIG/UCD's response or accept this offer before the deadline April 8th 2013. Cost is also a factor as RCSI tuition fees are greater than the other two.
Has anyone else been accepted to any universities?
Any suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks
-Nirm9848

I was also accepted to Galway and UCD, I ultimately chose RCSI because of the reputation and the fact that there were many more Canadians present. It is obviously more expensive than the other two but you're spending a bunch of money anyways, you might as well go for the school that has proven published results of residency matching and successful candidates.

To this day, I dont regret my decision, I have a friend in Galway who would have much rather went to RCSI.

I was also accepted to Galway and UCD, I ultimately chose RCSI because of the reputation and the fact that there were many more Canadians present. It is obviously more expensive than the other two but you're spending a bunch of money anyways, you might as well go for the school that has proven published results of residency matching and successful candidates.

To this day, I dont regret my decision, I have a friend in Galway who would have much rather went to RCSI.

S0B, when you got into UCD as you say were you a high school student at the time? What were your stats please?

S0B, when you got into UCD as you say were you a high school student at the time? What were your stats please?

I dont wanna bore you with the full stats so I'll summarize them:

High school average: 92-94%, was a member of varsity football team, 1000+ hours of community service including medical clinics, pharmacies, hospitals and nursing homes. Recipient of the Lieutenant Governor Award.

Thankyou for your advises!
one last question:
anyone of you know how much it actually costs for cost of living? ABP said it was around 15000 euros, but I wasn't sure how accurate that was...
THanks!
-Nirm9848

Thankyou for your advises!
one last question:
anyone of you know how much it actually costs for cost of living? ABP said it was around 15000 euros, but I wasn't sure how accurate that was...
THanks!
-Nirm9848

Cost of living in terms of what?
I can roughly estimate the cost apart from tuition:
Accomodation: 9000-10000 Euros
Living/Food/Furniture/Etc: 6000-7000 Euros
Travel: 3000 Euros
= Total: 18,000 - 20,000 Euros

forgot to respond to this! Thanks for the info!