Applications Handwritten or Typed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend? Write or type them?

Members don't see this ad.

Type them. If they are printed in a way that isn't conducive to typing, find a way (photocopy machine, ect.). Mostly, it just makes it easier to read for the committee.

Originally posted by OnMyWayThere
What do you guys recommend? Write or type them?

It doesn't really matter unless your handwriting is ineligbile.

Members don't see this ad :)
handwriting rarely is ineligible, though it is sometimes illegible :laugh:

Originally posted by arikansas
handwriting rarely is ineligible, though it is sometimes illegible :laugh:

..sigh.. Do you like baseball?
Well, baseball is all about team playing
And I view this board as a team
And when one of you refuses to be a team player..

:: proceeds to beat arikansas' head in::

i dont own a word processor or anything so i handwrote everything that required that type of option and it hasnt hindered me at all. I handwrote UVM and got accepted so i dont think it matters.

Just make sure its neat.

I still haven't heard anything from the two schools whose apps I filled out in pen...coincidence?

I handwrote every single application (except the online ones, of course), and have been accepted to at least one school. As long as you have neat penmenship, I don't see how it could possibly influence the committee's decision.

Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I ALWAYS TYPE..this is the first impression they get of you, I would rather it be a good one, than a so so one..

Also, it looks more professional

Just my $.02:thumbup:

Like the above poster said, it doesn't matter unless your handwriting is illegible. I handwrote all of my secondaries last year, except for the ones online, and I had no problems.

Originally posted by exigente chica
Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I ALWAYS TYPE..this is the first impression they get of you, I would rather it be a good one, than a so so one..

Also, it looks more professional

Just my $.02:thumbup:

I agree. I would put in the extra effor to type up applications. It's the first impression that the adcoms are going to get. It's also easier on the eyes and is probably less likely to leave the reader in a bad mood. In the end, I don't think it makes a HUGE difference but if you're borderline, handwriting an application might be the straw the breaks the camel's back.