Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubs11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you think it's better to just apply to a few vet schools or to as many as you want? after reading through a ton of info i have found some people think that you should only apply to two or three schools while others firmly believe that you should apply to as many as you want. what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply only to ones you would actually go to. I applied to six. I had a really clear top three, one in the middle and two that I would go to if I didn't get into the other 4. A lot of schools I didn't apply to because they were too far away (or I hated the location) or I had a small chance of getting in. I didn't waste my time on those.

I would apply to several as well. The cost definitely goes up, but it's worth it if it means not applying again next year. I also applied to schools I would actually go to based on location, reputation and pre-requisites. I think that even with stellar stats it's risky to only apply to a few schools. I applied to 7 (should have applied to 6 because I don't think I would have gone to one of the schools, even as a last resort), and I don't regret spending the money for a little more security.

Members don't see this ad :)
its a balance of finances, really...you apply to 20 it will cost you a ton of money just in application fees...never mind traveling for interviews and etc...pick a few that you really like, and then pick some that don't require interviews or that are within driving distance/you can catch a cheap flight there...that way you'll apply to enough schools to feel secure, but you won't spend a ridiculous sum of money applying...i ended up applying to 6, which worked really well for me

I also applied to 6...my in-state, 2 long shots, an abroad school, and two other schools that were more safety schools. I think 3 had secondary applications and 3 without interviews. You have to watch the initial VMCAS fees and the additional secondary application fees. I think 6 was a good number for me.

Six was the magic number for me too! I agree with pressmom that you should only apply to schools you'd really want to attend if accepted - but I think the criteria for choosing those schools vary a lot from person to person :)

For me, location had a lot to do with it, as well as reputation, equine programs, etc...if I were a resident of almost any other state then money would have been a large factor, but in-state tuition at Tufts is pretty close to out-of-state tuition just about anywhere else, unfortunately!

six seems like the magic number for some. unfortunately for me, i live in a state without an in-state school. so i will be applying to the three closest to me and the contract school as well.

I'm a bit of a different case because I'm Canadian and there are only 3 (now 4) english speaking Vet Schools in the country. But - I applied to 4 international schools - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, and London - and I just got into RVC in London, so I'm not even finishing my Canadian applications.

However, if I had not gotten in this year, I was planning on applying EVERYWHERE. The fees for applying would be great, but if you are already going to be paying $30 000+US for tuition, what's another few hundred. I think it's just how badly you want it, how good your application is, and how much you are willing to spend. I have zero plan B. Vet Med is all that I've ever wanted to do, so I would keep trying until I got in. But just remember, the more schools you apply to, the greater your chances are of interview and ultimately acceptance. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

:)
:luck: G'luck!