Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got into Yale for chronic disease epi!!!
So excited!

App completed 1/4 so it's been a while.

Applied: Cal, BU, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Columbia
Accepted: Cal, Yale, Columbia
waiting: BU Harvard UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Just got into Yale EMD, but already committed to Columbia.

Applied: Yale EMD, Columbia EHS, BU EHS/IHS
Accepted: Yale, Columbia, BU

Attending: Columbia!

Waitlisted at Emory GH! I'm a bit confused because I thought the program I applied for was a pretty good fit for me, but oh well! I've been accepted at Hopkins, UNC, Michigan, and Tulane, and I'm still waiting on Yale, but it's been a while for Yale so I imagine that means a rejection or a waitlist or they're forwarding my app to my second choice. I'm glad to have some great options already though. :) I interviewed for the Hopkins RD practicum today (I applied to the joint MSPH/RD), but I found out they only accept 8 people, so not getting my hopes up too much for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
is your app completed date of 1/4 when you submitted your application to sophas initially or after they mailed it out?

Just got into Yale for chronic disease epi!!!
So excited!

App completed 1/4 so it's been a while.

Applied: Cal, BU, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Columbia
Accepted: Cal, Yale, Columbia
waiting: BU Harvard UCLA
is your app completed date of 1/4 when you submitted your application to sophas initially or after they mailed it out?

Accepted: Columbia MPH EPI, BU MPH EPI (with scholarship), Yale MPH Chronic Disease EPI, Tulane MPH EPI
Rejected: Harvard

GRE: 610 V 650 Q 5.0 W
Tulane BSPH expected May 2012
Double Major French and Public Health
GPA 3.65

Esubmit 11/26
Sophas mid December
Yale completed the app 1/4

I thought I was rejected since it took so long, so everyone still has a chance it seems!

Congrats on all the acceptances and scholarships.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the strength of harvard's 80 credit health policy and management versus michigan's? Is it worth giving up a scholarship at Michigan?

Accepted: UMich, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia, UW
Waiting: NYU

Hi all-- been reading this forum a long time, finally posting. Is ANYONE still waiting to hear back from the University of Michigan and/or Berkeley? My application was submitted mid-November, mailed to them by SOPHAS in early December, and no news yet from either school.

(I applied for an MPH at UMich in Health Behavior and Health Education and an MPH at Berkeley in Health & Social Behavior).

Please let me know! I'm feeling so anxious about it! :scared:

I applied for an MPH at UMich in Health Behavior and Health Education and an MPH at Berkeley in Health & Social Behavior.

That's awful to still be waiting! I would call the Admissions Office at Michigan and ask them about the status of your application. Kiran (one of the student admissions coordinators) is very friendly and helpful, and when I called a few weeks back, she actually looked up my file and told me if my application had been reviewed. She also shared a helpful piece of information that official decisions from Admissions are released on Fridays. My HBHE admission was sent directly from the dept on a Wednesday, and then I heard from Admissions that Friday.

It can't hurt to ask, right? Best of luck!

Stats:

GPA: 3.5 - Political Science - Good state school (3.8 major gpa)
GRE: 90% V - 44% Q - 72% AW
LOR's: 3 profs, 1 supervisor at public health internship

Experience: Senate campaign intern, public health non-profit intern

Applied to Yale, BU, Columbia. Yale is my top choice but im scared of the low acceptance rate.

yo john, we have similar stats and experience. is your concentration health policy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to the MPH/RD program at UNC? Still haven't heard from them...

Hi all-- been reading this forum a long time, finally posting. Is ANYONE still waiting to hear back from the University of Michigan and/or Berkeley? My application was submitted mid-November, mailed to them by SOPHAS in early December, and no news yet from either school.

(I applied for an MPH at UMich in Health Behavior and Health Education and an MPH at Berkeley in Health & Social Behavior).

I'm still waiting for Berkeley but I certainly don't have my hopes up for an acceptance. I would love one though:D They told me that they "hope to begin sending notifications early March."

I'm in the same boat! Applied at the end of November for Cal and Mich and SOPHAS forwarded my apps early/mid December. I applied for MPH in Epi.

Hey, i also have been following this forum and have yet to post, but i am still waiting to hear from berkeley as well. I applied for the MPH in health and social behavior too, i emailed and also heard that they should start sending notices out in early march

Congrats Lenoch! I'm a current merit scholar at Emory, you should have a "scholar buddy" contacting you soon (who knows, might be me!), but if you don't hear from them feel free to private message and let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Awapi- Do you happen to know if all of the scholarship recipients have heard from Emory already? Thanks!

LOL! Guys, amazing timing. Posting here must have been good luck. I JUST got an acceptance email from UMich a few minutes ago! So those of you who are still waiting-- chin up, good news may yet arrive. :luck:

@ mintmocha, congrats on the UMich acceptance! I'm also still waiting for Berkeley (Biostats/Epi), but I know that they sent out a round of acceptances for that tract a few weeks ago. I haven't heard of anyone in biostats/epi who got rejected during that cycle, so I'm a bit nervous that they're sending out their rejections later. That being said, the department told me they hoped to send out decisions in early March, so maybe they did two rounds of review for the program, and treated it like quantized rolling admissions.

I really just have no idea what to expect, so by default, I'm not expecting anything due to how late in the cycle it is. All I know is that I've heard about 15 conflicting conjectures from various people with the same amount of information that I have, so I don't place too much emphasis on the prescient SDN authorities who claim to have third-eye vision into the minds of the admissions committees.

In any event, good luck!!

Hi guys, i am curious about how many people here have already received decisions from Columbia accelerated MPH in epidemiology, thanks!

LOL! Guys, amazing timing. Posting here must have been good luck. I JUST got an acceptance email from UMich a few minutes ago! So those of you who are still waiting-- chin up, good news may yet arrive. :luck:

did it specifically say you were accepted? or did it say you were recommended for acceptance?

I got an email saying I was recommended for admission to the program. Funny thing is, I remember them rejected me a month ago lol. In the letter, did they address you by name? I got a generic letter with no name listed

I just got a rejection from Berkeley in Health & Social Behavior... good luck to everyone else!

I just got a rejection from Berkeley in Health & Social Behavior... good luck to everyone else!
Hey, long-time lurker. Also just got my rejection from Berkeley's Health and Social Behavior. I got accepted to a few good schools so I shouldn't be upset but this is really bumming me out. Guess i shouldnt take it personally but I keep trying to think of what i could have done differently :-/ how are you guys dealing with rejections?

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA yet?!
I applied to UCLA's community health sciences program back in November. A couple weeks ago, I was notified that they have a decision but they didn't receive the transcripts I sent. I have been trying to sort that out with admissions but it sounds like we should be hearing more in the beginning of March

like a saaaaaaad panda.

Exactly ;)

No, I have been so excited with some of the acceptances I have received so I am just trying to look on the bright side and am happy that they are making my decision easier.

Exactly ;)

No, I have been so excited with some of the acceptances I have received so I am just trying to look on the bright side and am happy that they are making my decision easier.
Thank you so much, that is a very positive way of looking at it. Someone else was already "sadpanda" which is why I had to add the 13. haha Hopefully they also got past the rejection blues

Esubmit 11/26
Sophas mid December
Yale completed the app 1/4

I thought I was rejected since it took so long, so everyone still has a chance it seems!

Thats the same date mine was complete. I don't understand why I haven't heard from them either way yet.

Hey all, just wanted to share that I was accepted to the 42.5 credit program today. I hope others got good news too!

Hi everyone,

This is just my 2nd post. I'm coming straight out of undergrad.

My stats were the following:

GPA: 3.71
GRE: V (164), Q (166), A (5.0)

Applied: Tufts, BU, UMass, Columbia, Brown, Drexel
Accepted: Tufts, Brown, Drexel
Rejections:
Waiting: BU, UMass, Columbia

Hi everyone,

This is just my 2nd post. I'm coming straight out of undergrad.

My stats were the following:

GPA: 3.71
GRE: V (164), Q (166), A (5.0)

Applied: Tufts, BU, UMass, Columbia, Brown, Drexel
Accepted: Tufts, Brown, Drexel
Rejections:
Waiting: BU, UMass, Columbia

Hi loops - Good luck! :luck: I was accepted into Tufts as well (MPH with Health Communication concentration) and I'm also waiting on BU (Social and Behavioral Sciences). Which concentrations are you applying to?

Also, which UMass? I am waiting to hear back from the online MPH (Public Health Practice) program at Amherst.

Hey all, just wanted to share that I was accepted to the 42.5 credit program today. I hope others got good news too!

Hey Sun510.. even i got admitted for global health.. so are u taking it?

Hi everyone,

has anyone heard back from SDSU yet?

Got into the 80-credit SM program at HSPH Dept. of Global Health and Population!

Suddenly got bombarded with calls from friends and family saying I had to do it because it was Harvard - didn't get all that unsolicited advice when I got accepted to Johns Hopkins and Columbia. What is it about Harvard that makes people do these things?

I just got an acceptance e-mail from Boston University (w/merit award) today! I'm very excited as it is one of my top choices! Anyone have any idea how much the merit award might be?

Sophas sent my apps on 1/24
Applied: Yale, BU, GW, U of South Carolina, UDMNJ
Accepted: BU, UDMNJ
Waiting: Yale, GW, U of South Carolina

My Stats:
Graduated June 2011 from a UC (can you guess which one haha?)
GPA: 3.17
GRE: 157 (V), 156 (Q), 4.5 (W)
Experience: 6 months work experience as therapist for autistic children, 2 HIV/AIDS related internships, 1 year epidemiology research

My stats are not that impressive, but I had a pretty traumatic event happen to me during college which actually helped me decide my direction in PH. I'm thinking my personal statement helped my acceptance to BU. Anyways, very excited! Thanks for letting me share.

I just got an acceptance email from Yale today!!

Applied 1/15 and 2/1, SOPHAS sent my applications on 2/7
Applied: Columbia (SMS), Yale (EHS), BU (EHS)
Accepted: Yale EHS
Waiting: Columbia, BU

My stats:
GPA: 3.9
GRE: V-166, Q-162, W-6.0
Experience: Graduated 2009 with undergrad in sociology, focused work on environmental and social determinants of health; 3 years working in environmental sustainability

Last edited:
Hi loops - Good luck! :luck: I was accepted into Tufts as well (MPH with Health Communication concentration) and I'm also waiting on BU (Social and Behavioral Sciences). Which concentrations are you applying to?

Also, which UMass? I am waiting to hear back from the online MPH (Public Health Practice) program at Amherst.

Thanks! Tufts is my 2nd choice. I'm really waiting out for BU (top choice). Wait is agonizing.

I applied to the Maternal and Child Health concentration for BU. To the regular on-site MPH program for UMass Amherst, and the Environmental Health Sciences Dept. for Columbia.

Hi Awapi- Do you happen to know if all of the scholarship recipients have heard from Emory already? Thanks!

Hey Hoping4PhD, they were waiting for all the letters (electronic) to be ready before sending them out early this week so they could all be sent at once. I'm assuming that means that all recipients have been notified barring any unique cases or issues.

Rejected yesterday from SM 80 epi at Harvard. Oh well still have great options. Still rejections suck haha

Still waiting for UCLA and BU... When are they gonna come???

I just got an acceptance e-mail from Boston University (w/merit award) today! I'm very excited as it is one of my top choices! Anyone have any idea how much the merit award might be?

Congrats on the acceptance! Did the email also state you will receive an official decision letter? The only email I got from them was them telling me they sent out a letter with their decision and it was returned to them. I'm assuming it is a rejection letter since I didn't get an acceptance email like you did:oops:

Congrats on the acceptance! Did the email also state you will receive an official decision letter? The only email I got from them was them telling me they sent out a letter with their decision and it was returned to them. I'm assuming it is a rejection letter since I didn't get an acceptance email like you did:oops:

The e-mail just said "in the coming weeks you will receive an acceptance packet.. etc.", so they're quite vague.

Aw, best wishes for you though. You never know with these schools!

A bit of a silly question, but paranoia is driving me to ask...

I received an email from the faculty member responsible for graduate student recruitment to the IDM department at Pitt saying I'm 'enthusiastically recommended for admission' to their IDM MPH program, and invited to attended the open house in March.

Now the silly- am I correct in understanding that this means that I'm 'in'? It was made clear that this was a departmental acceptance, subject to the acceptance of the GSPH. Does it often happen a department says yes, and the school no?

I'd appreciate any clarification! Thanks!

My Stats:
Experience: 6 months work experience as therapist for autistic children, 2 HIV/AIDS related internships, 1 year epidemiology research

My stats are not that impressive, but I had a pretty traumatic event happen to me during college which actually helped me decide my direction in PH. I'm thinking my personal statement helped my acceptance to BU. Anyways, very excited! Thanks for letting me share.

SAME HERE!!! I'm in at BU! :D:D:D:D YIPPIE!!! I got the email around 9:00pm EST:

I am writing today with some good news. You have beenaccepted to the Master of Public Health program at Boston University School ofPublic Health entering in the fall of 2012. In addition, you have been chosento receive a merit award towards your BUSPH tuition.

In the coming weeks, you will an acceptance packet in themail detailing our offer of admissions, as well as further information aboutyour merit award and additional financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

I hope that you will join us in the fall. In the meantime,please do not hesitate to contact Admissions with further questions as youweigh your decision. My colleague, Jonathan Cote, and I can both be reached at[email protected].

Congratulations. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hopefully that packet will be coming soon! I can't wait to accept officially! :soexcited:

I posted this in the doctoral applicants thread, but I was wondering if any of you have applied to Johns Hopkins Environmental Health Engineering PhD program? I've been pretty anxious about the results for this, seeing as how so many other decisions have come out. Good luck to you all in your own admissions!

Thanks!

Hey Hoping4PhD, they were waiting for all the letters (electronic) to be ready before sending them out early this week so they could all be sent at once. I'm assuming that means that all recipients have been notified barring any unique cases or issues.

Thanks for your response Awapi! I have pretty good stats so I was hoping for something so I'll cross my fingers I'm a unique case :)

A bit of a silly question, but paranoia is driving me to ask...

I received an email from the faculty member responsible for graduate student recruitment to the IDM department at Pitt saying I'm 'enthusiastically recommended for admission' to their IDM MPH program, and invited to attended the open house in March.

Now the silly- am I correct in understanding that this means that I'm 'in'? It was made clear that this was a departmental acceptance, subject to the acceptance of the GSPH. Does it often happen a department says yes, and the school no?

I'd appreciate any clarification! Thanks!

I would say barring any extraordinary circumstances, you should consider a department recommendation as an acceptance. Congrats!

My Stats:

Congrats on BU!! I am also an anteater and now at BU. If you decide on BU I can help answer any questions you have...especially on moving!

SAME HERE!!! I'm in at BU! :D:D:D:D YIPPIE!!! I got the email around 9:00pm EST:

I am writing today with some good news. You have beenaccepted to the Master of Public Health program at Boston University School ofPublic Health entering in the fall of 2012. In addition, you have been chosento receive a merit award towards your BUSPH tuition.

In the coming weeks, you will an acceptance packet in themail detailing our offer of admissions, as well as further information aboutyour merit award and additional financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

I hope that you will join us in the fall. In the meantime,please do not hesitate to contact Admissions with further questions as youweigh your decision. My colleague, Jonathan Cote, and I can both be reached at[email protected].

Congratulations. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hopefully that packet will be coming soon! I can't wait to accept officially! :soexcited:

Congrats!! Let me know if you have any questions! :thumbup: