Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone has heard back from UMass Amherst (campus, not online program), please let me know. Also, does anyone know how long they typically take to respond to your application submission? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

WOOOOOT!!! Just got into UCLA w/ potential advanced scholarship! That decision link is tricky. I would go on it every night, and just last night they said no decision has been made. I got my decision from them at 3am this morning.

Anyone else who got into UCLA got "potential advanced scholarship"? I wonder who that works. Also, anyone a teaching/research apprentice?

Here's the tally:

Applied: BU, UCLA, Columbia
Accepted: BU, UCLA
Rejected: None.

Congrats on BU!! I am also an anteater and now at BU. If you decide on BU I can help answer any questions you have...especially on moving!

Congrats!! Let me know if you have any questions! :thumbup:
How do students usually go about finding accommodation? Should I start looking now?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do students usually go about finding accommodation? Should I start looking now?

I currently live in Boston and Sept. 1st is a very popular moving day. Many apartments are listed in the next few months for a september 1st. I would start looking in in the next couple weeks. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

WOOOOOT!!! Just got into UCLA w/ potential advanced scholarship! That decision link is tricky. I would go on it every night, and just last night they said no decision has been made. I got my decision from them at 3am this morning.

Anyone else who got into UCLA got "potential advanced scholarship"? I wonder who that works. Also, anyone a teaching/research apprentice?

Here's the tally:

Applied: BU, UCLA, Columbia
Accepted: BU, UCLA
Rejected: None.

Which UCLA MPH program did you get accepted to? I just checked the grad website and my status has not been updated yet.

Which UCLA MPH program did you get accepted to? I just checked the grad website and my status has not been updated yet.

Hey I applied for Environmental Health Sciences. Good luck!

I applied for Health Policy and Management for both Boston University and Columbia but Environmental Health Sciences for UCLA. Does anyone have any input for me how much my concentration will matter to me between the two if I want to maybe work in consulting? I mean, I don't have a fully defined career goal, and UCLA is A LOT cheaper (I already live there and it's a public school)

If anyone has heard back from UMass Amherst (campus, not online program), please let me know. Also, does anyone know how long they typically take to respond to your application submission? Thanks.

Hi, I just got my acceptance email this morning, for MS in epi. I think they told me my app was complete at the end of January, I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Just got an acceptance letter for UMD

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

SAME HERE!!! I'm in at BU! :D:D:D:D YIPPIE!!! I got the email around 9:00pm EST:

Hopefully that packet will be coming soon! I can't wait to accept officially! :soexcited:

nice, congrats! i got the same email . . . anyone know anything about BU visit days?

Congrats Echo!!!! April 6 and April 27 are the Accepted Students' Day. I just RSVP'ed for April 6th! :) ...Which I just realized is Good Friday...Oops! Oh well, I was planning on taking that day off anyway lol

Bachelor's: Health Sciences
GPA: 3.3
Aspiring International/Global Health
SOPHAS mailed applications on Jan. 19

Applied: UMich, Yale, BU, GWU, Emory, USF, Tulane
Accepted:
Rejected: UMich, GWU, Emory
Waitlisted: BU

Any comments or advice? Thx!

Congratulations to all for their admission to BU!

I'm still waiting here like an old man for BU to get back at me :(

I applied to the Maternal and Child Health concentration. Is anyone else in my boat?

Does anyone know when Columbia will be releasing its second round of decisions? I am waiting anxiously and it is the last school I have yet to hear back from for HPM!!

Applied: Michigan HMP, Rush HSM, Emory HPM, Columbia HPM
Accepted: Michigan (merit scholarship), Rush (merit scholarship), Emory
Waiting: Columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,anyone applied for MHA program in University of Washington for fall 2012?Did you hear anything from them?

Is anyone deciding between Hopkins and other schools? I was accepted to a lot of schools and am having a tough time deciding. I keep hearing about how the international health program at Hopkins is really great, but I haven't heard much about the population, family and reproductive health department (the department I was accepted to), so it would be great if someone could comment on that specific department. Also, does going to Hopkins have that much sway in the public health field in terms of job prospects? Thanks!!

Heard back from UCLA via email at 2:30A PST!
----
Rejected: Berkeley (HPM)
Accepted: Yale (Policy), Emory (HPM), Columbia (Healthcare Management), UCLA (Epi)
Waiting: Hopkins, Harvard, Brown

has anyone heard back from Minnesota (MHA) if so how do they notify you of acceptance (email, phone, letter). They said in the interview that the adcom would be meeting on 3/2 or 3/7?

thanks!

I just got accepted to both BU MPH and Tufts MPH over the past 24 hours! So exciting. Now I'm just waiting on Pittsburgh!

I just got accepted to both BU MPH and Tufts MPH over the past 24 hours! So exciting. Now I'm just waiting on Pittsburgh!

That's awesome! I've been admitted to Tufts MPH too...concentrating in Nutrition.

I'm still waiting on BU. I applied to the Maternal/Child Health concentration. You?

That's awesome! I've been admitted to Tufts MPH too...concentrating in Nutrition.

I'm still waiting on BU. I applied to the Maternal/Child Health concentration. You?

I got accepted to Social & Behavioral Health at BU and Epi/Health Communication at Tufts! I'm still super excited!

Decision time for me... got rejected from Harvard yesterday, and it was the last school I was waiting on..
Still really happy with the choices I have to make, and to attend the open houses!

Accepted: Columbia MPH (Epi), Johns Hopkins MHS (Mental Health), Yale MPH (CDE)
Rejected: Harvard SM Epi
Waiting: Noneee

Good luck everyone!

Decision time for me... got rejected from Harvard yesterday, and it was the last school I was waiting on..
Still really happy with the choices I have to make, and to attend the open houses!

Accepted: Columbia MPH (Epi), Johns Hopkins MHS (Mental Health), Yale MPH (CDE)
Rejected: Harvard SM Epi
Waiting: Noneee

Good luck everyone!

You've got some pretty awesome options, congrats!

Does anyone know when Columbia will be releasing its second round of decisions? I am waiting anxiously and it is the last school I have yet to hear back from for HPM!!

Applied: Michigan HMP, Rush HSM, Emory HPM, Columbia HPM
Accepted: Michigan (merit scholarship), Rush (merit scholarship), Emory
Waiting: Columbia

I'm in the same boat as you, still waiting on Columbia.

Does anyone accepted to Hopkins MSPH know when their admitted students day is?

Does anyone accepted to Hopkins MSPH know when their admitted students day is?

March 30, April 13.

*EDIT* This is for the international health dept.

Last edited:
My program (Health, Behavior and Society) has them on March 30 and April 6.
Thanks for the quick response! It didn't even occur to me that it might be different for different depts. Anyone for the International Health Dept?

UMich got back to me with a half-tuition Dean's Scholarship! Too bad it doesn't match with Emory's full scholarship.

Wow, the boards have been crazy busy today (and the past few days actually)! Congratulations to all those receiving acceptances!!!
:highfive:

Hey all,

I'm new here. which I found this website sooner! In any case, for all those of you who applied to Tufts and already received your decisions when did you submit your application? I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from them

Wow, the boards have been crazy busy today (and the past few days actually)! Congratulations to all those receiving acceptances!!!
:highfive:

It's exciting now, but soon...

JJOtw.jpg

It's exciting now, but soon...

Hey, I'm at work, so I gotta keep my giggling to a minimum! :laugh: That's too funny...and too true!

Kimster: I submitted my application to Tufts (MPH) on 1/2 and heard back on 2/8, so it took 5 weeks to hear back. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the quick response! It didn't even occur to me that it might be different for different depts. Anyone for the International Health Dept?

I'm not in for the International Health department, but I think the visit days are the same for all departments: March 30th and April 13th.

I logged into the admitted students page (here: http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions) and saw under visit days that those are the dates listed and they have information for all departments included.

I'm not in for the International Health department, but I think the visit days are the same for all departments: March 30th and April 13th.

I logged into the admitted students page (here: http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions) and saw under visit days that those are the dates listed and they have information for all departments included.

Oh you are so right! I was wrong earlier. I kind of wonder if they changed them because I just looked last week. Either way, thanks for catching that.

Great, thanks! Now here's hoping I'll get the chance to be there...

Hey, I'm at work, so I gotta keep my giggling to a minimum! :laugh: That's too funny...and too true!

Kimster: I submitted my application to Tufts (MPH) on 1/2 and heard back on 2/8, so it took 5 weeks to hear back. Good luck! :luck:
Thank you very much! I submitted my application a bit late but hopefully that wont negatively affect anything.

I don't know if this is the same for MHA, but for MPH I received an email from Minn stating that they have news regarding the status of my application with a link. That link directed me to a video congratulating me on my acceptance by the dean of the school of public health. A few days later I received an official letter.

Did anyone else receive a dean's scholarship from Michigan? The conditions say that if you receive any other kind of aid or your residency changes, the scholarship amount will be reduced or revoked... what?!

Did anyone else receive a dean's scholarship from Michigan? The conditions say that if you receive any other kind of aid or your residency changes, the scholarship amount will be reduced or revoked... what?!

I received the half tuition award, my understanding is that UM is not going to double pay your tuition if you become a Mich resident while in school. This was confirmed by a prof I spoke to on the phone, basically they change the amount in relation to how much additional aid you are given, so if you were to be fully funded somehow they would revoke the scholarship because, hey, half tuiton on zero tuition need is zero.

I am also still waiting to hear from UMASS Amherst. I havent heard one word from them since applying in January

Applied: BU, Umass Amherst, Brown, GWU, UMDNJ, SUNY Albany, Emory, Columbia
Accepted: BU (w/merit), GWU, SUNY Albany
Rejected: Emory, UMDNJ
Waiting: Umass Amherst, Brown, Columbia (not too much hope on this last one)

Hey I applied for Environmental Health Sciences. Good luck!

I applied for Health Policy and Management for both Boston University and Columbia but Environmental Health Sciences for UCLA. Does anyone have any input for me how much my concentration will matter to me between the two if I want to maybe work in consulting? I mean, I don't have a fully defined career goal, and UCLA is A LOT cheaper (I already live there and it's a public school)

what type of consulting?

does anyone know if the Boston U epi program accepts MCAT as the standardized test scores?

I received the half tuition award, my understanding is that UM is not going to double pay your tuition if you become a Mich resident while in school. This was confirmed by a prof I spoke to on the phone, basically they change the amount in relation to how much additional aid you are given, so if you were to be fully funded somehow they would revoke the scholarship because, hey, half tuiton on zero tuition need is zero.

Ohh okay that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

hmmmm, i wonder if anyone has gotten a merit scholarship for Yale yet?

Did anyone else interview for the RD practicum component of the MSPH in International Health/Human Nutrition program at JHU? I saw that there was one other poster.... do you know if being interviewed for the RD practicum means that we've already been accepted into the MSPH Program for International Health/Human Nutrition? I was hoping so, but didn't feel bold enough to ask during the phone interview. Also, if they only accept 8 into the practicum, I wonder how many they interviewed? After poking around on the Bayview Medical Center site it looks like they accept 12 dietetic interns each year... does that mean 8 come from the MSPH/RD program and 4 apply separately after already having done a didactic course? Aaaaah I just want my admissions decision!

Did anyone else interview for the RD practicum component of the MSPH in International Health/Human Nutrition program at JHU? I saw that there was one other poster.... do you know if being interviewed for the RD practicum means that we've already been accepted into the MSPH Program for International Health/Human Nutrition? I was hoping so, but didn't feel bold enough to ask during the phone interview. Also, if they only accept 8 into the practicum, I wonder how many they interviewed? After poking around on the Bayview Medical Center site it looks like they accept 12 dietetic interns each year... does that mean 8 come from the MSPH/RD program and 4 apply separately after already having done a didactic course? Aaaaah I just want my admissions decision!

Hi stellamc! I interviewed for that too! :) I wondered the same thing, and I'm not 100% sure, but I believe we were accepted to the MSPH program because the FAQ states:

"The primary acceptance into the MSPH program is determined by the International Health admissions committee. Once a candidate is accepted into the MSPH program, the application is passed on to the Nutrition Director at the Bayview Medical Center for admission into the RD track. This committee will look at the prerequisite courses, and will conduct interviews either in person or by telephone. The Department of International Health will contact the student with the admission decision."

The "12" from the Bayview website refers to people who apply to the stand-alone RD program (not affiliated with Bloomberg). The MSPH/RD program accepts 8. No idea how many were interviewed! Did you have your interview on Monday? I know that they were 30 minute time slots, so if they only conducted interviews on Monday, they can't have interviewed that many people. We can hypothesize!

You can PM me if you want to talk about it!

Last edited:
Update: Got into USF (02/27/12) for Global Health and Washington Uni (03/01/12 with $20,000 merit award) for generalist MPH. This is in addition to Emory and BU (merit).

Waiting: Yale, Columbia and others.

This wait is killing me.
Posted my stats a few pages earlier.

Update: Got into USF (02/27/12) for Global Health and Washington Uni (03/01/12 with $20,000 merit award) for generalist MPH. This is in addition to Emory and BU (merit).

Waiting: Yale, Columbia and others.

This wait is killing me.
Posted my stats a few pages earlier.

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm currently at USF in the Global Health Practice track. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Today is finally the day for UCLA letters.. Wish me luck bc I certainly need it!
:scared::xf: