Applied late (Nov) - still rewrite PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumarn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this past cycle I had to take the MCAT (32N) in Sept. so I didn't even complete secondaries until late Oct or Nov.. Out of 12 schools I still got 2 interviews and I'm waitlisted right now at my top choice (Tufts). I'm wondering if minor edits to my PS are enough considering that what hurt me the most last time was applying late. I plan to talk about what I did in the interim in my secondaries and interviews (700 hours as an EMT volunteer and started a medical practice web design and online services company).

The theme of my PS was how I turned around from getting a 2.8 gpa 1st year and dealing with my parent's divorce, to getting 3.6 next 3 years and how active and focused I became. Therefore I really want to keep most of my old PS to explain my 3.4 gpa. I spent over a month on my PS last year and had 3 friends continually helping me edit it. I plan to apply June 4th this year so if I need to rewrite then I really need to get moving. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it makes sense to retain much of the theme given how important it is in explaining one part of your application, suggest that you condense the PS so as to add a paragraph or possibly two explaining in detail, possibly with example(s), what you've done over the past 6 months, how much you've learned, i.e. why you're now a better applicant. This is because although the timing last year was likely a major reason for the need to reapply given your success in gaining interviews/waitlists, additional positive experience will help schools "latch onto" why they should accept you this year, given they didn't advance your application last year.

Do you have an additional LOR from your volunteer experience? I suggest you look into that, too. best of luck!

Congratulations on an amazing turn-around!

You will see in old threads on this forum that many feel you should completely rewrite your PS. I am not one of them. If you feel it perfectly reflects the ideas you wish to express, I think you can tweak the old one so it is not identical. But a good question is: was it the best it could be? I'd have a lot of people read it, including an old English teacher, your pre-med advisor, and maybe even one of SDNs volunteer PS readers. It sounds like you already made the tone of it upbeat and positive, which I feel is essential.

Members don't see this ad :)
i kept the theme and general structure of my PS the same when i reapplied, but i changed the words i used to get my point across...i think that that shows some level of growth and change b/w the two cycles...i specifically chose not to discuss my first MCAT score in my PS, but rather focused on the strengths of my app and why i want to be a doctor...but on the secondaries, i reused a lot of what i had written for my first app cycle, but talked about my first run-in with the MCAT in the "what has been your most difficult challenge" question rather than about other things...i got three interviews: two acceptances, and one waitlist

i think i applied SUPER LATE (March 1st)
but i STILL rewrote my Personal Statement (although there was much resistance on my part). It just felt good being "fresh" with everything.