What counts as too late to apply to DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffycookie1231

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to both MD and DO. I am a MD reapplicant.

I plan to apply to DO schools in January because I saw that if I got in, then they would only hold my spot for a few weeks. The spot will expire before I would even here from my desired schools in March.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

july - oct. December is too late. Jan is self sabotage.

Reactions: 1 user

I plan to apply to DO schools in January because I saw that if I got in, then they would only hold my spot for a few weeks. The spot will expire before I would even here from my desired schools in March.

What do you guys think?
I'm not sure I get your strategy until I know you got interviews at MD schools and didn't get outright rejected. Also in agreement with @Dr.Meowz , December is really late or will result in your file laying on a virtual desk until mid-January (winter break, Christmas, New Years, Kwanzaa, etc.)) when enough faculty get the energy to want to review files that late.

I don't have actual statistics to say this, but a ton of MD applicants get waitlisted after they interview and stay in WL purgatory until CYMS season.

Members don't see this ad :)

What do you guys think?
That's too late. With the turnaround time that it takes to submit the application, then send you secondaries, get the secondary from you, extend an interview, you'll be probably interviewing in March April or even early May, and by that time you'll be pretty much interviewing for a seat on the waiting list.

What do you mean that would only hold your spot for a few weeks? If you apply, and get accepted, you have a certain amount of time usually short to send in your first deposit. Think of that is insurance.

That's too late. With the turnaround time that it takes to submit the application, then send you secondaries, get the secondary from you, extend an interview, you'll be probably interviewing in March April or even early May, and by that time you'll be pretty much interviewing for a seat on the waiting list.

What do you mean that would only hold your spot for a few weeks? If you apply, and get accepted, you have a certain amount of time usually short to send in your first deposit. Think of that is insurance.
Hey Goro! I would first like to say thank you for responding!

This is my first time applying DO so I think I am a bit confused about the application timeline. I'm a re-applicant MD so I know the timeline like the back of my hand.

On the other hand, I think I'm a bit confused about DO. I notice a lot of mentions of deposits. Is this deposit refundable? And lets say that I'm still waiting for a response from a MD school in March, does that mean if I get accepted by a DO school and put down a deposit, I can not attend this MD school anymore.

If you want to know specifics, I am interested in KansasCoOM and KCUCoOM!

Thank you!!

AMCAS schools have policies where deposits are initially refundable and small, which results in a possible hoarding of offers if one gets multiple MD offers. Consequently but not necessarily related for that reason, a lot of waitlist spots seem to be sent until movement starts in March.

AACOMAS schools do not have such a policy. So the schools tend to have larger non-refundable deposits. Since they know that most would drop their DO offer for an MD offer, the deposit at least pays for the admissions process at the DO school even if the school loses 4 years of tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
AMCAS schools have policies where deposits are initially refundable and small, which results in a possible hoarding of offers if one gets multiple MD offers. Consequently but not necessarily related for that reason, a lot of waitlist spots seem to be sent until movement starts in March.

AACOMAS schools do not have such a policy. So the schools tend to have larger non-refundable deposits. Since they know that most would drop their DO offer for an MD offer, the deposit at least pays for the admissions process at the DO school even if the school loses 4 years of tuition.
Thank you thank you! That makes a lot more sense and definitely changes my timeline of things!

Will now most likely finish my DO application in September after my MD secondaries.