Appling Late-Do people really get accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbcnm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I was so excited to be applying this cycle. I was going to take ORGO 1 and 2 over the summer at the University ( I am attening the State College) then take my MCAT's in August.

Well I don't think that will be happening now. The 2 ORGO classes offered at the University are full and open registration starts today. I can't register until 4/14 because I already have a bacc. degree from there.

I am trying to get an ORGO class started at the State College but I am not hopeful. Which means I will not be able to take ORGO til fall.

Technically I know I could sit my MCAT's in Jan 2011. I know that LECOM-B take Jan MCAT's but do they really have any spots open if I apply that late?

I am a non traditional student with a masters degree in nursing and am a certified nurse midwife.

Some encourageing words would be welcomed cuz I am really down about this but I want the realistic truth.

tbcnm

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about your classes. What state are you from? Maybe you can take ORGOs at a reputable JC...? Definitely try calling LECOM abt ur situation, and maybe they'll give you a better option.

it is possible to get interviews really late, but i think you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you only intended to apply to the handful of schools that would take such a late mcat. if you absolutely have no choice but to keep your list limited, then i'd contact the school and find out how competitive you are/would be. and for most schools, you don't have to have the prereqs completed before applying (just before matriculating), so you could even take the mcat before you finish the orgo, as long as you'd have the orgo before starting med school. i would highly suggest that you only do that if you know you can teach yourself orgo (or take a review class) and be able to do well on it (like take TONS of practice tests to be sure you've mastered the material!). then, you could take it earlier and apply more broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont do it. Just wait until the next cycle. Most seats are taken and you want to pick a school that you want to go to not that you are stuck at.

Ok I was so excited to be applying this cycle. I was going to take ORGO 1 and 2 over the summer at the University ( I am attening the State College) then take my MCAT's in August.

Well I don't think that will be happening now. The 2 ORGO classes offered at the University are full and open registration starts today. I can't register until 4/14 because I already have a bacc. degree from there.

I am trying to get an ORGO class started at the State College but I am not hopeful. Which means I will not be able to take ORGO til fall.

Technically I know I could sit my MCAT's in Jan 2011. I know that LECOM-B take Jan MCAT's but do they really have any spots open if I apply that late?

I am a non traditional student with a masters degree in nursing and am a certified nurse midwife.

Some encourageing words would be welcomed cuz I am really down about this but I want the realistic truth.

tbcnm

First off, taking no for an answer because a computer says the class is full is not how you get into med school. You need to be persistent with what you want. If the class is full, talk to the department chair, talk to the professor, and tell them you intend to enroll if someone drops during the first week. Someone always drops.

Second, decide how prepared you are for the rest of the MCAT sections as it stands. Taking o'chem during summer does not lend itself to much studying for the other sections. It is difficult to wait, but it is more difficult to do it all over again if you f* up your class and MCAT. Make smart decisions.

p.s. I interviewed during the last scheduled week and got in. It very well could have worked out differently. I took a huge gamble. Apply early, apply broadly and take great care in your personal statements and secondaries. Otherwise someone like me will come and take your spot at the last minute.

Last edited:
Remember that the Jan mcat doesn't release scores til march

Dont do it. Just wait until the next cycle. Most seats are taken and you want to pick a school that you want to go to not that you are stuck at.

Most seats are taken at most schools by January/February, but so what? You only need one seat at one school to be a med student. My AACOMAS wasn't verified and released to schools until mid-February and I still received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances. Provided you do well on the MCAT and have decent grades and EC's you should have a chance at several schools.

I applied late this year to 6 schools (probably not broad enough). I had 1 interview (and got waitlisted), and will be going on another April 7 (which is I believe the last day that school is interviewing). I am also still waiting to hear from 2 schools, but i am not naive.

It is hard to tell how competitive you are, because Orgo I and II can really make your sGPA flucuate, and you don't have an MCAT score. I think if you are low in any one area (sGPA, cGPA or MCAT) you will be better served waiting to the next cycle and applying early. Granted you only need one spot, but I like my odds when they are looking for 160 students, as opposed to 80, or in most cases if you take the MCAT in January less.

Applying is expensive, trust me I hope I have a good interview or get taken off the wait list, and requires a good deal of time and effort you don't want to have to do it twice.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!!

-HOOKIN-

You don't need to take Orgo I, II before your MCATs.

The Bio section only contains 25% of orgo chem questions. If you get a kaplan review book and just study that you will be fine for the test. Make sure you score high in all sections.

As for the classes, even if you don't take it by summer, take it by fall, still apply for 2011 because schools wait for you to get your grade as long as you are in the process of taking a class.

You let them know that on your secondary/primary/telephone call/email.

There are many ways to express that you are persistent and you will finish your courses before the start of medical school.

SO: APPLY THIS COMING MAY
TAKE MCAT SOON, LIKE JUNE>JULY>AUGUST

Write your essays while you wait to take your classes or during taking your summer classes (if you get in)

AND

wait for the interviews. You will have plenty of time to explain at the interview.

BTW, I was complete in Sept 2009, waiting on one letter that took till JAN 2010 to send in. Received interviews this past FEB and MAR

Because my essays, letters and MCAT scores were good (you don't want to know what my GPA is...) I received 5 interviews out of 13 schools. LECOM-B being one of them.

If I had a higher GPA I would have been in all these schools but I got waitlisted at 4 and accepted to one.

You know what to do, follow your heart. If you have more questions please PM me.

I know that we are talking about DO schools but is that the norm or even a high percentage of people that apply that late and get accepted? You also need to look at do you have restrictions on what school you want to attend. I am sorry for my advice, but I am not a gambler and I wanted to apply to DO and MD. I felt my chances were better to apply athe opening of the cycle. However I do acknowledge that I am not as smart as most of you'll so that was an issue with my application.

Most seats are taken at most schools by January/February, but so what? You only need one seat at one school to be a med student. My AACOMAS wasn't verified and released to schools until mid-February and I still received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances. Provided you do well on the MCAT and have decent grades and EC's you should have a chance at several schools.