Medical Apply 2021 or wait for 2022? 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 BCPM GPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in my 5th year of undergrad, should have graduated last spring. I currently have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 BCPM. I am taking 22 credits and will have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 BCPM by the end of this semester.
TERM GPA by semester F:2.8, S: 3.0(with a W) (1st year) F: 3.4,S: 3.27 (2nd year), F: 3.6, S:2.9 (3rd year), F: 3.1, S: 3.9 (22 Credits including Biochem, Mol BIo(4th year)

MD or DO, No preference but would rather go to my state school to be close to family.

Should I apply for the upcoming cycle? If i were to do that i would graduate in December. Take the MCAT in April, apply in June for this cycle. (Study from Mid December-April for MCAT full time, Goal is 515+) Diagnostic MCAT was 484. I would graduate with a 3.4 cGPA and 3.1 BCPM.

or
Should I delay graduation and take another term of 22 credits try to get to a 3.51 cGPA, 3.2 BCPM. If i were to do this i would apply next cycle (2022), study for the MCAT from May- August, start a full time job in september.

Background:
- Double major BIO/PSYC
-honors in psychology
- RA in 3 Research labs, bachelors thesis in on of them
- Scribed for 2 years (1000 hours)
-50 hours of volunteering, will get more (im doing 4 hours a week this year)
- clinical intern in private practice (200 hours)
-president of an honors society
- will shadow 8 hours a month this year until may ( projected: about 60 hours)

I can't recommend applying at this time. Your MCAT diagnostic has you way too low that most places probably would not even give the app a 2nd look. Your GPAs are both also low and there is no significant upward trend, but rather ups and downs throughout.

I'm not sure of the reasoning for the ups and downs, and am presuming the 5th year is due to the double major, but I'd slow down. Part of the reason why some of your semesters are low could be due to the course load. You GPA is more important than a speedy finish. Also if you're taking that kind of course load, MCAT studying will not be up to par and I'd be worried about how much you can really increase your score when youre studying for so many credits.

TLDR: You're in a decent range where if you get a good MCAT you have a good chance of being successful, but since the diagnostic is low at the moment, you need to focus on studying for that, and slow down how many credits your taking to ensure a higher GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.