Apply a third time or give it up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roma14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I was just wondering what anyone else would do in my situation, as I'm starting to run out of ideas and plans for the future. This is my second time being waitlisted to dental school. After the first time, the school told me to work on my GPA, since that was the glaring weak point of my application. I listened, and ended up finishing a science-intensive masters degree with a 4.0. Applied again... waitlisted again. At this point it feels like my options are limited and the stress of having to put my life on hold any longer is taking its toll. I'm starting to get pressure from family to just switch careers and go into something like pharmacy, something I wouldn't hate, but at the end of the day dentistry will always be my first preference.

For those wondering about my application stats...
- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing
- 60 hrs of volunteer work

Any advice would be appreciated. I've also considered doing dental hygiene and just holding off on applying to dental school again until the future. But then again that is a big commitment. Anyways, thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Could it be your interview skills or LORs? Your volunteer hours are a bit low, what did you volunteer in?

Reactions: 2 users
Your stats seem pretty decent and about average for accepted students.

Heres my 2 cents. You’re getting invited to the interview stage, clearly you look good on paper. But after the interview both times you’ve gotten waitlisted. I would have to guess it is due to your interview skills holding you back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. So I was just wondering what anyone else would do in my situation, as I'm starting to run out of ideas and plans for the future. This is my second time being waitlisted to dental school. After the first time, the school told me to work on my GPA, since that was the glaring weak point of my application. I listened, and ended up finishing a science-intensive masters degree with a 4.0. Applied again... waitlisted again. At this point it feels like my options are limited and the stress of having to put my life on hold any longer is taking its toll. I'm starting to get pressure from family to just switch careers and go into something like pharmacy, something I wouldn't hate, but at the end of the day dentistry will always be my first preference.

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

Any advice would be appreciated. I've also considered doing dental hygiene and just holding off on applying to dental school again until the future. But then again that is a big commitment. Anyways, thank you for reading.
when was your application complete, and which schools did you apply to?
where are you waitlisted? was it the same both years?
any sections on DAT below 17?
did you reach out last cycle to the school you were waitlisted at to see how you could improve your app?

Reactions: 1 users
Could it be your interview skills or LORs? Your volunteer hours are a bit low, what did you volunteer in?
My volunteering is pretty random. A few hours in a dental front office but not much. The majority of it deals with helping out at community centers that feed the underserved and handle donations. It has been difficult finding meaningful opportunities amidst the pandemic, but I think this area definitely needs improvement.

I believe my LORs are strong so I don't think this is an issue, especially considering the school I'm waitlisted at doesn't even require them.

Also, this school doesn't re-interview applicants if they apply again. They simply review your new application with only the initial interview being considered, which is odd. While I didn't think that interview went too well, they said it went fine when they gave me feedback.

when was your application complete, and which schools did you apply to?
where are you waitlisted? was it the same both years?
any sections on DAT below 17?
did you reach out last cycle to the school you were waitlisted at to see how you could improve your app?
My application for this cycle was completed around mid-August. I had to apply a bit later because my masters program did not even finish until December 2020, so I wanted to get more grades completed before applying. I applied VERY early the first year (late June) when I got my first interview, and this was without the masters degree. I am waitlisted at Tennessee (both years), but I applied to a few others as well (Louisville, LECOM, Marquette, etc.) These other schools have either never responded or have said they are "still reviewing" my application, which is probably just a polite rejection.

My QR section was a 17, but other than that no section is below a 19.

When I reached out the first time they told me to improve the academic aspect, which I did. I am in the process of contacting them to see if they have any additional comments for this cycle :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Was your Masters degree at a school with a dental school? If so, I would try to ask them what you could do to improve your chances.

I really don't mean this in a mean way, but I don't see anything exceptional in your app. I would probably retake the DAT (aim for 23+) and try to increase your volunteer hours to at least 100+. Apply the first day the next cycle opens, practice really hard on interview skills. Do some mock ones with friends/advisors/dentists or anyone else you can find. I think you would have a much better chance getting in with those tips.

What state are you a resident in? What have you been doing since graduation?

Was your Masters degree at a school with a dental school? If so, I would try to ask them what you could do to improve your chances.

I really don't mean this in a mean way, but I don't see anything exceptional in your app. I would probably retake the DAT (aim for 23+) and try to increase your volunteer hours to at least 100+. Apply the first day the next cycle opens, practice really hard on interview skills. Do some mock ones with friends/advisors/dentists or anyone else you can find. I think you would have a much better chance getting in with those tips.

What state are you a resident in? What have you been doing since graduation?
Thanks for the advice. I'm a TN resident, so I'm waitlisted at my state school. Since graduation I have just been doing additional shadowing. I've been job searching as well for a dental-related gig or even healthcare jobs that deal directly with patients. And I will definitely begin volunteering more soon. Is there any specific volunteer activity you think is preferred by dental schools?

Thanks for the advice. I'm a TN resident, so I'm waitlisted at my state school. Since graduation I have just been doing additional shadowing. I've been job searching as well for a dental-related gig or even healthcare jobs that deal directly with patients. And I will definitely begin volunteering more soon. Is there any specific volunteer activity you think is preferred by dental schools?
Don’t volunteer for something because you want it to look good on your resume do it because you’re interested in it. For instance, I volunteered in several different educational roles trying to close the gap in college readiness for underrepresented students. None of that work has anything to do with dentistry but in all of my interviews they could see I was genuinely passionate about my volunteer work and mentioned it was a very strong point in my application (which aside from my LORs had very average stats).

1. Cycle isn’t over yet. You could still get in.
2. retake DAT— seriously study for however many weeks/months it takes Where you are 100% you can improve on your score. Even a 21+ is great.
3. increase community service hours. Aim for 150+ shadowing and 150+ community service
4. Apply early June
5. Apply broadly and to schools that are in line with your stats

Even if you don’t retake the DAT And just increase your hours, I think you would get in somewhere if you applied strategically. But I’d definitely try a third time before pursuing DH or another career

if you need help formulating a list after this cycle, dm me

Reactions: 3 users

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

I got in this year, 2nd time applicant. Never did a masters, cGPA: 3.58/sGPA: 3.45, 19 AA/20 TS/15 QR (I got a 15 QR TWICE, this was my retake). I don’t care what anyone on here says about what you need to get in. People kept telling me retake my DAT, get a bio major (I’m psych), do a post-bac since I graduated in fall of 2019 (been out of school since then).

Call up every school you applied to and ask them what you can do to make your application more competitive. I promise you, out of all the schools you call, you will most definitely hear back with more interviews next cycle (if you choose to continue applying).

No one on here can really tell you what’s the issue, but there’s a fair share of luck involved when getting accepted too. There are thousands of competitive applicants. I thought I’d never see the day of being accepted, felt like it’s impossible. Trust me, it’s worth it to keep trying and you will prevail.

If you have any questions, shoot me a pm. I know the feeling and it’s the worst. It gets better.

To clarify: I didn’t contact any schools after the first cycle, I just worked and volunteered this past year (neither were dental related).

Last edited:
I really don't mean this in a mean way, but I don't see anything exceptional in your app. I would probably retake the DAT (aim for 23+) and try to increase your volunteer hours to at least 100+.
The OP doesn’t need a 23.....His/Her DAT score is already competitive as is. Hate how you guys low ball these scores. Plus only like 2% test takers get a 23 or above. You guys make it seem like it’s easy lmao

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The OP doesn’t need a 23.....His/Her DAT score is already competitive as is. Hate how you guys low ball these scores. Plus only like 2% test takers get a 23 or above. You guys make it seem like it’s easy lmao
I appreciate your sentiment.

I have never heard of someone not getting in due to their DAT score being too high. I said aim for a 23, when you aim high even if you don't get a 23, I think the OP could get a higher score than he/she currently has.

If I had been through two application cycles with no dice, I would be fighting LIKE HELL to give myself every possible chance to get in, including getting a better DAT score. The way I see it, every year you are not in tuition is going up and you are losing out on 120k+ a year in income.

Not to mention being in this awkward in between stage in your life which is not fun as OP mentions. The costs of not getting in a third time are too damn high. best of luck to the OP!

Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate your sentiment.

I have never heard of someone not getting in due to their DAT score being too high. I said aim for a 23, when you aim high even if you don't get a 23, I think the OP could get a higher score than he/she currently has.

If I had been through two application cycles with no dice, I would be fighting LIKE HELL to give myself every possible chance to get in, including getting a better DAT score. The way I see it, every year you are not in tuition is going up and you are losing out on 120k+ a year in income.

Not to mention being in this awkward in between stage in your life which is not fun as OP mentions. The costs of not getting in a third time are too damn high. best of luck to the OP!
That’s true

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

Hi I think your stats look good! I would recommend continuing to check in with the schools that waitlisted you and schools that have yet to send you an interview. Send letters of interest and letters of intent.

If you really dream of being a dentist do not give up! If you end up having to reapply next year I would recommend reaching out and expressing interest in schools in the late spring and early summer. I also attended informational zoom calls before the application opened. I think doing this really helped me get interviews at some schools.

For most places, a DAT score is only valid for 2 years. Will you then have to retake it?

Big Hoss
True. This actually annoyed me the most when thinking if I’d have to apply for a third time. The OP would also have to call the schools to see if he can use the same score

For most places, a DAT score is only valid for 2 years. Will you then have to retake it?

Big Hoss
Depending on my school choices, I'd probably be forced to retake because I took it in December of 2018. I know schools can vary widely in terms of their cut offs. My state school, for example, considers scores that are even 5 years old...

Thanks to everyone who replied.. very helpfull!!!

Hello OP,

I applied 5 times, undergrad GPA was under 2.5, got 2 master's degrees, took DAT 4 times (you can read my DAT story: "DAT Biology Breakdown from 4th Test Taker (Estimate Your Biology Section Progress) What Not To Do"), and never been offered a waitlist. Worked multiple different jobs, volunteered, shadowed, and took upper-level classes in the meanwhile. I did consider a Ph.D program and other careers due to unopened doors. However, I am currently a happy and grateful D1 at my state school. It was a very dark tunnel without a trace of light at the end.

I cannot DARE to tell you to reapply, because I was in your shoes, perhaps in a much worst place and I know the agony in uncertainty. But also, all I want to say is, if I can do it, ANYONE can become a dentist too. I really do believe so. I can tell you how ugly my stat really was if you DM me if that makes you feel better.

p.s. In midst of it all, I met my wife, and have two adorable kids who support me through the rigor of dental school. Blessing is often disguised indeed.

Reactions: 9 users
Agree with the poster above me, I had to take mine 3 times, 3rd time was a charm for me. Also re-apply to the school you were waitlisted at, they like to see that you did not give up. I wouldn't retake the DAT as it looks good and there are people getting in with much lower DATs then yours. At the interview just be yourself, be honest, and examine yourself to make sure you're not saying anything that would be a negative to them. You can do it!! 3rd time is a charm!

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

If you were waitlisted odds are you were in the mix and something else other than GPA made them pick someone else. I agree with the others, practice your interview skills, be positive during the interview process and sound natural. Also consider applying to other schools, especially in areas that no one wants to go to. I recall, when I graduated undergrad a ton of people only applied to California schools and to them it was California or bust. Some of us applied in the mid west. Long story short, all of us who applied to the mid-west got in. The California only crowd never got in or got waitlisted multiple times and eventually gave up on going to dental school.

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

Just to offer you some encouragement, I know someone who was accepted to medical school in the U.S. when they applied for the eighth time !
This person became a gynecologist. I do not know what their GPA or MCAT scores were. This person was accepted in 1976.

• Hmm
Retake DAT. My friend applied a third time and got in. Several of my classmates and I started dental school in our 30's, i bet you're nowhere near that age.

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

Your stats look good. If you don't mind me asking... when did you apply? When applications opened or late within the cycle?

Your stats look good. If you don't mind me asking... when did you apply? When applications opened or late within the cycle?
I applied mid-to-late August (much later than I wanted).

Did you only apply to one school? There are definitely school were you are competitive. Get more shadowing and maybe some work experience. Also try to get a better DAT score. You have a good chance at getting in somewhere if you apply to enough schools.

Also, I don't know, but I am not sure if applying early is really that big of a deal. If they do rolling admissions then sure, but I thought it was required to wait till Dec 1st (15th this year) before sending out acceptance letters. Think applying early is a bigger deal for medical school.

I applied mid-to-late August (much later than I wanted).
That's why...

I would apply much earlier and apply to as many schools as you can. I'm confident you will get accepted somewhere if you do that.

It is so wild people say August is late to apply... I applied sept(one school), and late Jan (two schools.) interview invited were sent within a week or so of all schools.
We had similar stats as well. I would say I had a lot more “dental hours”(shadowing/assisting/volunteering).

if you are not retaking the dat try to get 250 dental experience hours. If you can volunteer at a dental clinic even better- aim for 300-350 total. Can you get a dental assistant permit? In my state all you have to do is pay $100 and you can assist.

It is so wild people say August is late to apply... I applied sept(one school), and late Jan (two schools.) interview invited were sent within a week or so of all schools.
We had similar stats as well. I would say I had a lot more “dental hours”(shadowing/assisting/volunteering).

if you are not retaking the dat try to get 250 dental experience hours. If you can volunteer at a dental clinic even better- aim for 300-350 total. Can you get a dental assistant permit? In my state all you have to do is pay $100 and you can assist.

It is possible you were the exception, not the rule.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently volunteering at a dental clinic, basically doing low-level assistant duties. Also studying for a DAT retake.

It is possible you were the exception, not the rule.
I have to agree, it's not impossible to get in if you apply in August or later but you have a better chance if you do it earlier, that's just how it is. Applications can take a bit to process, and in that time you can miss interview windows, especially for schools that only send out 3-4 waves of interviews.

My application for this cycle was completed around mid-August. I had to apply a bit later because my masters program did not even finish until December 2020, so I wanted to get more grades completed before applying. I applied VERY early the first year (late June) when I got my first interview, and this was without the masters degree. I am waitlisted at Tennessee (both years), but I applied to a few others as well (Louisville, LECOM, Marquette, etc.) These other schools have either never responded or have said they are "still reviewing" my application, which is probably just a polite rejection.

My QR section was a 17, but other than that no section is below a 19.

When I reached out the first time they told me to improve the academic aspect, which I did. I am in the process of contacting them to see if they have any additional comments for this cycle :thumbup:
Honestly, it may be the DAT score. It wouldn't hurt to try to get the QR up again. I have received 4 interviews this cycle and no acceptances yet. My stats are in my sig. I have a lower undergrad gpa, but a much higher post-bacc, yet I think its my DAT that's not pushing me to get an acceptance. I am retaking my DAT and shooting for a 21+. I feel like that's the only way I will receive an acceptance.

Honestly, it may be the DAT score. It wouldn't hurt to try to get the QR up again. I have received 4 interviews this cycle and no acceptances yet. My stats are in my sig. I have a lower undergrad gpa, but a much higher post-bacc, yet I think its my DAT that's not pushing me to get an acceptance. I am retaking my DAT and shooting for a 21+. I feel like that's the only way I will receive an acceptance.
Na I gotta 15 QR TWICE and got accepted. 19 AA/20 TS/19 PAT

I did apply twice though, got waitlisted at multiple schools first time and never heard back

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

prob interview skill. If dentistry is what you want, fight for it. pharmacy sure as hell doesn't look like the move imo

I have similar stats to you and just got off a waitlist. So don't lose hope just yet. Also, don't go into pharmacy-consider software engineering as a back up if dentistry is no longer possible for you. Software engineering has a lower barrier to entry than dentistry (read: you can most likely succeed) and is still far from saturated.

- 3.1 uGPA
- 4.0 gGPA
- 20AA, 20TS
- >100 hrs shadowing

While there is no question that applying to any program is stressful, the level may pale in comparing with the stress which may be encountered while attending dental school.

I would gain more dental experience by doing more dental volunteer work or dental assisting. Then write a better compelling personal statement on why you want to become a dentist. Practice your interview skills again. Keep going, your stats are fine.

You got this! never give up if this is really what you want to do for another 40+ years

Based on the fact that you were waitlisted (twice), I say try again. You’re right there